WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #376
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad248 View Post
This looks awesome! I cant wait to see the prototype and get one in my jeep
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom19511 View Post
Craig, I would think that the JEEP rectangle would look better horizontal..
Think so? I could give that a shot as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb05 View Post
Possibility: since these are for the wk, the cup holders and these can be connected?
Yes, they would all be connected and use the same RGB controller.

Unread 06-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #377
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

Maybe you could work up some lights to illuminate handle bar above the glove compartment of the 2013 JK
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #378
aralph30
2003 WJ 

Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
**** And we are live! http://jeep-core.com/

Okay guys, as promised, here are a few pics of how I made and installed my lighted LED cupholder rings. Had I known the response would have been so positive I would have documented things a little better. I think you'll get the gist of things though.

I'll start by saying that this isn't exactly easy to replicate unless you have access to a CNC. I build small form factor computers as a hobby, and I make frequent use of the CNC for those projects. I've only now started playing with it on other projects. It's small, but more than adequate for the work I typically do.

I took a few measurements and came up with a simple design in CAD. I converted the design for milling and pulled out some 5mm acrylic I had left over from a previous project.

I clamped it to the CNC and let her rip.

A few minutes later I was left with a small disk with a recessed pocket.

With the backing peeled...

I used Little Dot SMD LED Accent Lights. They are pretty cheap, and already have the resisters built in, along with substantially long lead wires. They fit perfectly in the smaller pocket I milled in the disk. In this pic you can also see I lightly sanded the surface of the acrylic disk. I did this to help diffuse the lighting a bit.

Although I didn't get a picture of the disk insert being made, it's simply a piece of 1mm PVC sheet. The tolerances are very tight, but the insert just presses in place. Once there, it's not ever going to fall out on it's own. In fact, I had tap on it a bit with a rubber mallet to get it seated.

A test lighting... and success!

I basically repeated the same process above for the second cupholder with a slightly larger ring, since they aren't the same size.

Now, in order to get them seated in the cup holder, I had to do a little trimming of the rubber. Using a very sharp x-acto knife, I just made the bottom openings a little taller. I really only needed to take a few mm out.

Lastly was the wiring. I only wanted them lit up when the headlights were on, so I tapped into the closet light wiring I could find. It happened to be the wire running over to the FWD Low indicator. A minute with the multimeter and I found the wires I needed. Right on one side of the plug. Black - and orange +. I tapped in and was good to go.

As far as wire routing went, I just ran a wire to the left and right of where the rubber on the front of the cupholder 'snaps' into place. I didn't have any at the time, but I'll likely go back in and add a simple plug to disconnect the wiring should servicing of some kind be needed.

Overall I'm pretty happy with them, although I'm going to try and tone down the boldness of the green to match my instruments. I've ordered some white LED's and some colored filters to attempt this. I also ordered a simple PWM dimmer to play with. Either might get me the results I was looking for.

Now, some of you have expressed interest in me having a few of these fabbed up. I'd be happy to do that. I'd need to get some more materials and LED's. Just let me know!

**** Update! Check this post for the first color samples with a white LED and gel filter.

**** Update 2! Check this post for the second color samples with colored LED's.

**** Update 3! Check this thread for an informal poll on colors.

**** Update 4! Check this thread for information regarding the switch to RBG LED's with a controller.

**** Update 5! And we are live! http://jeep-core.com/
Can u make them for a 2003 jeep grand cherokee limited ?
aralph30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #379
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aralph30 View Post
Can u make them for a 2003 jeep grand cherokee limited ?
I've got 5 sets in stock!

http://jeep-core.com/wj-grand-cherok...4/rgb-led-ring
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #380
aralph30
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru
If I where to buy them how do I install them
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #381
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

I don't have the install documentation up for the WJ's yet, but basically you just need to tap into any 12v switched source. A 12v power plug would do. Or you could use an add-a-circuit and tap into the fuse box. It's really no harder than wiring a CB or similar. Other than that, a few small holes at the bottom of your cupholders for the wiring to exit, is all the physical modifications you will need.

Unread 06-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #382
brad248

How is your progress going on the light up jeep logo going?
brad248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #383
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad248 View Post
How is your progress going on the light up jeep logo going?
I haven't had much time to work on that, although I'm planning on getting to it this weekend. I've been focusing on getting some TJ and JK rings made.

I have been working on something else as well. I'm going pro with the packaging, haha. This will ensure that it's easy for me to pack up the kits when it's time to ship, and I'm pretty sure they'll survive almost all shipping conditions too.

Unread 06-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #384
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

I also think the "jeep" logo part, might look better horizontal like with the J closest to the shifter and the P closest to the dash

Also,
I believe one of my cupholder rings has a short in it. They started off working great, but now the left one will sometimes be off color. Like a totally different color. But I don't think the wiring inside is lose because all I have to do is lightly touch the ring downwards (like setting as cup on it) and it will change to the right color again. Almost like the short is right where the wires touch the ring. Ill have to take a closer look this weekend.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #385
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
I also think the "jeep" logo part, might look better horizontal like with the J closest to the shifter and the P closest to the dash

Also,
I believe one of my cupholder rings has a short in it. They started off working great, but now the left one will sometimes be off color. Like a totally different color. But I don't think the wiring inside is lose because all I have to do is lightly touch the ring downwards (like setting as cup on it) and it will change to the right color again. Almost like the short is right where the wires touch the ring. Ill have to take a closer look this weekend.
I have the same problem. I was thinking the wires connecting to the ring are loose and when you push it it tightens them the only reason I know its the wire is loose because I had the same problem when I was testing them.
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #386
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc653 View Post
I have the same problem. I was thinking the wires connecting to the ring are loose and when you push it it tightens them the only reason I know its the wire is loose because I had the same problem when I was testing them.
Ah damn. That happens when one of the 4 contacts between the LED strip and the wiring connector gets slightly off. It's not a short, it's a lack of connection. I've found a better connection method for all new sets that should eliminate this. If it continues to be an issue, just let me know and I'll send you out new strips and wires. I want you guys to be happy.
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #387
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

I have been just dealing with it for now. Playing with other stuff. when I get around to it I will see if I cant get it straightened out. I don't like to have problems. Reason why I haven't said anything. Figured a wire was loose and I could just push it back end and find a way so it didn't move around.
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #388
lawsonej
1998 ZJ 

Ordered mine today! cant wait!
lawsonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #389
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc653 View Post
I have been just dealing with it for now. Playing with other stuff. when I get around to it I will see if I cant get it straightened out. I don't like to have problems. Reason why I haven't said anything. Figured a wire was loose and I could just push it back end and find a way so it didn't move around.
I'll post a pic or two tonight and you may be able to fix it yourself based on what I show you. If not, let me know I'll get you a replacement ASAP. Basically, the LED strips have four flat copper contacts, and they match up to 4 flat contacts inside the connector. Flat+flat can occasionally cause an issue. What I'm doing now, is dimpling the copper contacts on the LED before assembly. I believe this creates a more sure connection. I tested a few of my own sets pretty rigorously and haven't had an issue. I do test everything before shipping, but I suspect the bubble wrap mailers I was using may have allowed the rings and wires to bounce around too much. Since I've changed to the new boxing and packaging method, I'm pretty sure that problem is taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonej View Post
Ordered mine today! cant wait!
Awesome, thank you! I will get them shipped out tonight.
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #390
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
I'll post a pic or two tonight and you may be able to fix it yourself based on what I show you. If not, let me know I'll get you a replacement ASAP. Basically, the LED strips have four flat copper contacts, and they match up to 4 flat contacts inside the connector. Flat+flat can occasionally cause an issue. What I'm doing now, is dimpling the copper contacts on the LED before assembly. I believe this creates a more sure connection. I tested a few of my own sets pretty rigorously and haven't had an issue. I do test everything before shipping, but I suspect the bubble wrap mailers I was using may have allowed the rings and wires to bounce around too much. Since I've changed to the new boxing and packaging method, I'm pretty sure that problem is taken care of.

Awesome, thank you! I will get them shipped out tonight.
That's cool..... same thing Craig. No need for a new one. Ill try and see if I cant fix it myself. Maybe re-solder the loose connection. But a picture would def help so I know exactly what to look for.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.