WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #301
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post

Those look fantastic man! Mind if I put your pics in a gallery on the website? What you did with the controller looks pretty good. Maybe I'll add some commentary to the install instructions showing it as an optional way to go.

Thanks man!
Yea no problem man.
BTW, Im still trying to see if I can get those measurements of the JK for you.

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #302
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

FYI: On With Lights

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but:

For those of you that remember the original post, Craigbru hooked his LEDs to the Orange (+) and Black (-) wires of the 4wd LO to come on with the parking lamps. Yet in the instructions he has it hooked up to the Cig Lighter power to come on with switched Acc power. The reason is the amperage on the t-case plug isn't enough to push the LEDs, and they simply don't light up.

Long story short, the entire console's lights are powered by the same fuse as the passenger side parking/tail lights. #10 in the image below, 10AMP mini fuse.

Throwing in a mini Add-A-Line from Advance Auto with another 10 AMP fuse, you can wire in the LEDs to come on with the lights using virtually the same circuit the prototypes used.

-wkjeeps.com
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #303
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Yea no problem man.
BTW, Im still trying to see if I can get those measurements of the JK for you.
Outstanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophonicz View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but:

For those of you that remember the original post, Craigbru hooked his LEDs to the Orange (+) and Black (-) wires of the 4wd LO to come on with the parking lamps. Yet in the instructions he has it hooked up to the Cig Lighter power to come on with switched Acc power. The reason is the amperage on the t-case plug isn't enough to push the LEDs, and they simply don't light up.

Long story short, the entire console's lights are powered by the same fuse as the passenger side parking/tail lights. #10 in the image below, 10AMP mini fuse.

Throwing in a mini Add-A-Line from Advance Auto with another 10 AMP fuse, you can wire in the LEDs to come on with the lights using virtually the same circuit the prototypes used.

-wkjeeps.com
Wow, great post. I didn't get a chance to expand on this earlier, but you are completely correct. That's also a great method to use for those guys that are leery of tapping into any OEM wiring. If anyone chooses to take the route audiophonicz suggested, pics would be appreciated. I can then add them to the install instructions.
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #304
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

I'll get you some pics tomorrow.
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #305
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophonicz View Post
I'll get you some pics tomorrow.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it!
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #306
rollindom

2005 WK 

I placed my order last weekend and received it Friday in Pasco, WA. I got them installed today was very happy with how they look as well as how easy they were to install. I thought I'd point out that the RGB controller allows you to turn the lights off completely. So even if you don't wire them to an illumination trigger, they can be turned off during the day or any other time you want them off.

Craig thank you for sharing your product with us other Jeep heads!

image-3231446239.jpg
rollindom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #307
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

Audio by virtually useing the same fuse you mean one of the bridges that connect with the fuse and you run a wire from it to the leds and install an inline fuse? Thus leds will get power when the fuse gets power witch is via acc key turn? Correct? Just trying to make things a little clear so everyone understands
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #308
Whit
1950 CJ3A 

I finally installed mine and everyone loves them. I have it set to rotate through colors slowly... Kids picked that mode.

So now I'm wondering if you've thought about making a rectangular one to fit into that spot just to the right of the shifter? Could it be tied into the other two electrical connections and work ok?

2010 WK, 3.7l, Rubicon wheels in Anthracite, K&N intake, Hypertech, 2.25" RRO lift, Bilstein 5100, Stillen brakes, 265/70-17 Hankook DynaPro ATM, Cupholder Ring LED's, Expanded Sheet Grill mod
UPCOMING MODS: Fastman TB, cargo LED's
Whit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #309
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollindom View Post
I placed my order last weekend and received it Friday in Pasco, WA. I got them installed today was very happy with how they look as well as how easy they were to install. I thought I'd point out that the RGB controller allows you to turn the lights off completely. So even if you don't wire them to an illumination trigger, they can be turned off during the day or any other time you want them off.

Craig thank you for sharing your product with us other Jeep heads!

Attachment 628653
They look great man! Can I put your pic in the customer gallery on the website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc653 View Post
Audio by virtually useing the same fuse you mean one of the bridges that connect with the fuse and you run a wire from it to the leds and install an inline fuse? Thus leds will get power when the fuse gets power witch is via acc key turn? Correct? Just trying to make things a little clear so everyone understands
Yes, the LED's would get power when the fuse gets power, but it's better than just ACC. They would actually turn on when the lights do, and only then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
I finally installed mine and everyone loves them. I have it set to rotate through colors slowly... Kids picked that mode.

So now I'm wondering if you've thought about making a rectangular one to fit into that spot just to the right of the shifter? Could it be tied into the other two electrical connections and work ok?
Haha, awesome!

I hadn't thought about that, but it would certainly work. Another 'Y' adapter and a rectangular LED would do it. Would there be much demand for that? I could certainly make it an upgrade option.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #310
rollindom

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru

They look great man! Can I put your pic in the customer gallery on the website?
Absolutely! Actually I just snapped a quick phone pic to show the end result because you know "if you don't have a pic, it didn't happen". I will get a few better pictures to you within the next day or so for you.
rollindom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #311
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
... thought about making a rectangular one to fit into that spot just to the right of the shifter? Could it be tied into the other two electrical connections and work ok?
That, my friend, is a brilliant idea. I already have thoughts of JEEP illuminated vertically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc653 View Post
#1 no inline fuse needed, it adds a 2nd fuse itself. See next post.

#2 My way gets power via PARKING LAMPS, not ACC. Ie, no key in the ignition, turn your headlights on, they come on. During daytime driving with headlights off or set to Auto, they are NOT powered on.
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #312
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

On With Parking Lamps Wiring

Instructions for On-With-Parking/Tail Lights:

Pick yourself up a Mini Fuse Tap "Add-A-Circuit" ($10 Advance Auto) and some mini 10 amp blade fuses (5 for $5 Advance Auto).
You only need one fuse, but spares are good to have.

Locate fuses 8 thru 10 in the Power Distribution Center. They're all 10 amp.

#8 = Left Parking/Tail Lamps
#9 = Trailer Hookup Parking/Tail Lamps
#10 = Right Parking/Tail Lamps <-- We tap into this one

Install Add-A-Circuit like so

Testing and hookups:

Green is LED controller to ground
Red is LED controller to #10 Add-A-Circuit fuse

Ignition ON - Headlights OFF - Parking Lamps OFF

Ignition OFF - Headlights OFF - Parking Lamps ON

I ran the power wire from the Add-A-Circuit through the firewall using the lowest, hardest to reach grommet the same way I ran my subwoofer power (pics stolen from my other thread).

Engine Side:

Interior Side: (The grommet pictured is actually higher up than the one you want)

And finally, wire into the controller in place:

Last edited by audiophonicz; 05-20-2013 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Added requested pics
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #313
Whit
1950 CJ3A 

I have mine illuminated with ACC on. Here are a few daytime photos.
image-589486071.jpg   image-1710216442.jpg   image-515944244.jpg  

2010 WK, 3.7l, Rubicon wheels in Anthracite, K&N intake, Hypertech, 2.25" RRO lift, Bilstein 5100, Stillen brakes, 265/70-17 Hankook DynaPro ATM, Cupholder Ring LED's, Expanded Sheet Grill mod
UPCOMING MODS: Fastman TB, cargo LED's
Whit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #314
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

Man these are sooo sweet I cannot wait to get a set for the JK
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #315
guls
2007 WK 

It would be nice to have the rectangular one with "Jeep" in the middle that lights up.
Seen some on ebay for Hyundai/ Kia
guls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.