WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders - Page 20 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #286 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
craigbru
Senior Member
 
craigbru's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Omaha
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
hmmm, the thing that doesn't make sense to me, is the connector on the led rings. I don't want to drill a hole that big for the connector to fit through, that would surely be noticeable. Im thinking my only other option is to cut the connector off, feet the wires through and then re-splice the connector back on after it is fed through. I don't know
Check this out man.

http://jeep-core.com/200810-wk-grand...-installation/


Jeep-Core
craigbru is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #287 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
hxdrummerxc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Sweet. Lol,

Well I did everything pretty much exactly how you had written it anyways. I cut the holes in the cup holders so small that the wires barely fit. But I cut the connectors off and im gonna re-solder them on afterwords. I just wanted a real small slit in the cup holder. Im a little picky. lol

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline  
post #288 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM
holmants
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West Jefferson
Posts: 25
With the wiring setup that comes with our order, is there a way to set up the rings so that they are only on when the lights are on or will they stay on as long as the key is turned on? Thanks!
holmants is offline  
post #289 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 01:59 PM
marka2k
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 653
Yes I will tell me what you want (same as post #277 ?) and I will work on it this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Outstanding! I see it Mark. I'll get it out tomorrow. If you are willing to work with me on measurements for your wife's Commander, I'll get some made, haha.

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland

04 Rubicon

2000 Grand Cherokee

2006 Commander Limited - Wife's
marka2k is offline  
post #290 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
craigbru
Senior Member
 
craigbru's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Omaha
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Sweet. Lol,

Well I did everything pretty much exactly how you had written it anyways. I cut the holes in the cup holders so small that the wires barely fit. But I cut the connectors off and im gonna re-solder them on afterwords. I just wanted a real small slit in the cup holder. Im a little picky. lol
Lol, okay, that works too. When resoldering, please note the black and red wires matched, but the blue and green's were switched. That's just the way the plugs were manufactured, and I had to go blue-green, green-blue to 'correct' it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmants View Post
With the wiring setup that comes with our order, is there a way to set up the rings so that they are only on when the lights are on or will they stay on as long as the key is turned on? Thanks!
You can't do it with what I sent. I know exactly which wires you'd have to tap in to, but while there is enough voltage, there isn't quite enough amperage (just a guess), to run the RGB controller. Before I switched to RBG it was testing fine, after RGB, not so much. So, it's either turn on with the ignition or you would have to use a relay to work with the light's alone. I can let you know which wires to use if you want to attempt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka2k View Post
Yes I will tell me what you want (same as post #277 ?) and I will work on it this weekend
Yep, just like #277. With any luck they might match one of the WK versions. I also notice you have a '04 TJ in your sig. Would you be willing to get measurements there too?

Jeep-Core
craigbru is online now  
post #291 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM
marka2k
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 653
Yes I will do the 04 Wrangler as well, I also have a 2000 Grand Cherokee if you ever decide to include the WJ rigs as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Lol, okay, that works too. When resoldering, please note the black and red wires matched, but the blue and green's were switched. That's just the way the plugs were manufactured, and I had to go blue-green, green-blue to 'correct' it.



You can't do it with what I sent. I know exactly which wires you'd have to tap in to, but while there is enough voltage, there isn't quite enough amperage (just a guess), to run the RGB controller. Before I switched to RBG it was testing fine, after RGB, not so much. So, it's either turn on with the ignition or you would have to use a relay to work with the light's alone. I can let you know which wires to use if you want to attempt it.



Yep, just like #277. With any luck they might match one of the WK versions. I also notice you have a '04 TJ in your sig. Would you be willing to get measurements there too?

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland

04 Rubicon

2000 Grand Cherokee

2006 Commander Limited - Wife's
marka2k is offline  
post #292 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
craigbru
Senior Member
 
craigbru's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Omaha
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by marka2k View Post
Yes I will do the 04 Wrangler as well, I also have a 2000 Grand Cherokee if you ever decide to include the WJ rigs as well
The TJ would be great. I've got someone working on a 2000 WJ already, or I'd certainly take you up on it.

Jeep-Core
craigbru is online now  
post #293 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Bogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Franklin Square ,NY
Posts: 105
craigbru 05-07 Commanders use the same cup holder 07-10 has no insert and will be different size

05 WK 5.7 Limited Stone White Dead Stock
84 Dodge W350 Crew Cab 9'+ Lift 37" SSR's
66 Dodge Dart 273 4-Speed Radio/Heat Delete
Previous Jeeps - 78 SJ,91 YJ,94 ZJ,98 XJ,06 LJ Rubi
Bogie is online now  
post #294 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 PM
jbaldry
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland
Posts: 454
If anyone is wondering about shipping time, I live in Portland Oregon and it SHIPPED on Monday and got here today (Friday), and it took two days from when I placed my order for it to be shipped.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Quadradrive, 4.7 V8
Living life mod by mod
jbaldry is offline  
post #295 of 801 Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 PM
hxdrummerxc
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Lol, okay, that works too. When resoldering, please note the black and red wires matched, but the blue and green's were switched. That's just the way the plugs were manufactured, and I had to go blue-green, green-blue to 'correct' it.
I somehow noticed that too, right at the last minute before I soldered I looked at the other cord and seen the blue/green mismatch.

I got it all done. I also didn't think that I could live without the controller accessible. So I wired it so that the controller is in that little cubby hole in the dash right below all the temperature settings. If you pull the rubber piece out of that cubby, there are holes big enough to feed the wires through. I did however have to cut the connector side of the controller off and re-solder or splice that back on after i fed the wires through. It was a lot more work, but now my controller is easily accessible and hardly noticeable.

Looks great btw. Pictures coming in a minute

EDIT:
Pictures


Here is a cell phone pic of how I have the controller installed in that cubby



And here are some pictures of it completed







08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline  
post #296 of 801 Old 05-18-2013, 09:51 AM
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc

I somehow noticed that too, right at the last minute before I soldered I looked at the other cord and seen the blue/green mismatch.

I got it all done. I also didn't think that I could live without the controller accessible. So I wired it so that the controller is in that little cubby hole in the dash right below all the temperature settings. If you pull the rubber piece out of that cubby, there are holes big enough to feed the wires through. I did however have to cut the connector side of the controller off and re-solder or splice that back on after i fed the wires through. It was a lot more work, but now my controller is easily accessible and hardly noticeable.

Looks great btw. Pictures coming in a minute

EDIT:
Pictures

Here is a cell phone pic of how I have the controller installed in that cubby

And here are some pictures of it completed
Look ssoooooooo sick

'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline  
post #297 of 801 Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 PM
tom19511
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sheffield Lake
Posts: 1,022
Dammit, hxdrummerxc.. I never thought of putting it in there. Now I may have to go back and put it there. I left it under the trim pieces.....Ehhh.. Not now though.. I was also thinking of putting it in the cupholder rectangle trough too... Oh well Later maybe...Looks good...

Tom
tchristopher1@twc.com
2006 G.C.65th Anniv. Edition
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline  
post #298 of 801 Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Nitronitty
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Allentown
Posts: 105
BTW- I only have the one cupholder in the gear shift console--98 TJ-- I do not have a center console between the seats so I am not sure if the size differs from the other console but I can measure it if you need

We don't own our Jeeps, they own us! LOL
Nitronitty is offline  
post #299 of 801 Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 AM
LJS8510
Web Wheeler
 
LJS8510's Avatar
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
That looks great.

Good Luck


2015 WK II 5.7 Overland, Offroad Group II,- 2008 WK Limited 3.0 CRD, - 2003 WJ Laredo 4.7, - 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0, - 1999 WJ Limited 4.7-
LJS8510 is offline  
post #300 of 801 Old 05-19-2013, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
craigbru
Senior Member
 
craigbru's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Omaha
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
craigbru 05-07 Commanders use the same cup holder 07-10 has no insert and will be different size
So, they changed console designs when the GC's did. Man, it would be great if they were identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
I somehow noticed that too, right at the last minute before I soldered I looked at the other cord and seen the blue/green mismatch.

I got it all done. I also didn't think that I could live without the controller accessible. So I wired it so that the controller is in that little cubby hole in the dash right below all the temperature settings. If you pull the rubber piece out of that cubby, there are holes big enough to feed the wires through. I did however have to cut the connector side of the controller off and re-solder or splice that back on after i fed the wires through. It was a lot more work, but now my controller is easily accessible and hardly noticeable.

Looks great btw. Pictures coming in a minute

EDIT:
Pictures


**Pic snip
Those look fantastic man! Mind if I put your pics in a gallery on the website? What you did with the controller looks pretty good. Maybe I'll add some commentary to the install instructions showing it as an optional way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronitty View Post
BTW- I only have the one cupholder in the gear shift console--98 TJ-- I do not have a center console between the seats so I am not sure if the size differs from the other console but I can measure it if you need
That would be great if you could. If it's between 69~70mm, then it's the same as the double cupholder console. Meaning I can minimize parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
That looks great.

Good Luck
Thanks man!

Jeep-Core
craigbru is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome