Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WK (and possibly others) LED lighted cupholders

116K views 806 replies 148 participants last post by  w6pea 
#1 · (Edited)
**** And we are live! http://jeep-core.com/

Okay guys, as promised, here are a few pics of how I made and installed my lighted LED cupholder rings. Had I known the response would have been so positive I would have documented things a little better. I think you'll get the gist of things though.

I'll start by saying that this isn't exactly easy to replicate unless you have access to a CNC. I build small form factor computers as a hobby, and I make frequent use of the CNC for those projects. I've only now started playing with it on other projects. It's small, but more than adequate for the work I typically do.

I took a few measurements and came up with a simple design in CAD. I converted the design for milling and pulled out some 5mm acrylic I had left over from a previous project.

I clamped it to the CNC and let her rip.

A few minutes later I was left with a small disk with a recessed pocket.

With the backing peeled...

I used Little Dot SMD LED Accent Lights. They are pretty cheap, and already have the resisters built in, along with substantially long lead wires. They fit perfectly in the smaller pocket I milled in the disk. In this pic you can also see I lightly sanded the surface of the acrylic disk. I did this to help diffuse the lighting a bit.

Although I didn't get a picture of the disk insert being made, it's simply a piece of 1mm PVC sheet. The tolerances are very tight, but the insert just presses in place. Once there, it's not ever going to fall out on it's own. In fact, I had tap on it a bit with a rubber mallet to get it seated.

A test lighting... and success!

I basically repeated the same process above for the second cupholder with a slightly larger ring, since they aren't the same size.

Now, in order to get them seated in the cup holder, I had to do a little trimming of the rubber. Using a very sharp x-acto knife, I just made the bottom openings a little taller. I really only needed to take a few mm out.

Lastly was the wiring. I tapped into the 12v switched auxiliary plug (left) on center console stack.)

As far as wire routing went, I just ran a wire to the left and right of where the rubber on the front of the cupholder 'snaps' into place. I didn't have any at the time, but I'll likely go back in and add a simple plug to disconnect the wiring should servicing of some kind be needed.

Overall I'm pretty happy with them, although I'm going to try and tone down the boldness of the green to match my instruments. I've ordered some white LED's and some colored filters to attempt this. I also ordered a simple PWM dimmer to play with. Either might get me the results I was looking for.

Now, some of you have expressed interest in me having a few of these fabbed up. I'd be happy to do that. I'd need to get some more materials and LED's. Just let me know! :D

**** Update! Check this post for the first color samples with a white LED and gel filter.

**** Update 2! Check this post for the second color samples with colored LED's.

**** Update 3! Check this thread for an informal poll on colors.

**** Update 4! Check this thread for information regarding the switch to RBG LED's with a controller.

**** Update 5! And we are live! http://jeep-core.com/

See less See more
#597 ·
Oh, of course. I misread your comment above. I can post a few pics tomorrow. As far as mounting goes, there isn't any. The receiver just sits inline like the wired controller does, but then uses a credit card sized wireless remote. I just have mine sitting in my center console. It's really pretty cool.

Can I order some yet? I tried ordering the other night but they where all out of stock so I couldn't :(
Not yet, but hopefully by Wednesday. I've got plastic I've got to prep tomorrow, and it will be ready for cutting on Tuesday.

#599 ·
No, apologies needed. I haven't stated here. Adding the wireless controller is another 12.50 on top of the normal price. So, it's an even $50 shipped w/ tracking in the US.

Here are a few pics of the wireless controller. The last pic shows what will be included in the stand alone kit. All new sets already ship with the new style plug, but I am throwing a new one in regardless of whether or not you have the old wired controller with leads, or the new ones with the plug.

One more thing... I've now got a few sets of the 08~10 WK and XK regular and Jeep logo rings in stock.:D

#603 ·
Thanks man!

If I want to get the wireless remote with the Jeep rings will the price change once I add it to the cart?
I see your order, and you caught me... Haha, I forgot to change the price on the site to reflect the wireless controller for the 08~10 WK's. I guess that's what I get for updating the site late at night. No worries though, it's my mistake and I'll honor the price you paid. :D

Does anyone have better pics of them installed in the daylight? The wife's new Jeep has lit cup holders and I kinda like it...thinking about doing this.
This shot was taken in my driveway during the day. I don't think they are quite that bright in person, but you can definitely see that they are on.

#604 ·
Question on the wireless controller. If I wire the cup lights to a dimming power source. Once I set a color and brightness will it be that way the next day or will I have to set it every time? I don't know that I really need a wireless controller, but will the standard wired controller remember my settings also. As such I could find the setting I like and place the controller under the center console as I wouldn't need it after my set up is complete.

#605 ·
Both the wireless and wired controller remember the last used setting. You never have to reset your preferences upon starting the Jeep again. A lot of guys just set a color and brightness, then leave the controller hidden. There's typically not much reason to access it. The wireless controller is for the guys that like changing things up. It may be of more use once there are a few accent lighting kits out there.

#606 ·
Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. I was looking for what they look like when off in the daylight. My bad.

That PVC insert, could it be left out (or taken out) for refinishing? Perhaps a nice glass bead shot finish to remove any sheen (I do this at work often for trade show pieces).

Honestly, I could make these parts myself as a by-trade machinist, but have a kit that's already put together, tested and trouble-shot is real nice.

#612 ·
Craigbru,

Glad to see you're back up and running. I was the guy who had asked you about getting ambient lighting for the front footwells and under the front seats (to illuminate the rear foot area). You had begun experimenting and then had the problem with your cnc, etc. As I recall you hadn't looked in to the rear lighting yet, but I think if you just duplicated the lights for the front I could find a way to attach it to the seat frame. I would just need to have the harness be able to accommodate all of the lights. I have an '07 Grand Cherokee and would like to order everything at once (and install everything at once, which is why I'm waiting to see what you do with the ambient lighting). I think I would need only one controller as I would want them all to be the same color anyway. I'm undecided if I want the logo rings or the plain ones. I see from one of your prior posts that the black part of the ring is bedliner coating; do you think you could make 2 additional rings of just the bedliner material that could be used to cover the logo if it turns out I prefer the non-logo look better? Thanks.

#613 ·
I've got the parts needed for the accent lighting and ran a few prototypes last night. I'm going to install in my WK (hopefully) tonight and see how they look. A basic kit would include two accent lights on 6' leads, and a 3 way splitter for tying into an existing set of lights. I'll also add wired and wireless controller upgrades for those that want to use them without cupholder rings. That would essentially make them universal for any vehicle.

There's really no way to cover the logo once cut. The rings are now one piece and the bedliner is applied before cutting. The CNC cuts through the bedliner to create the logo. So, it's pretty much all or nothing.

#615 ·
Wow, that looks great! I like the Jeep logo as well, my last question is how dim do the lights go? I want it very subtle, hoping they go that low. I'll order in a couple days here if you can tell me they go real dim.

#622 ·
No worries man. I'll look into that next week. I should be caught up with most of my backlog by then.

In other news... I consider my accent lighting test a success. I have to make a few small revisions to my mounting bracket design, but otherwise I'm very happy with the results. I'm hoping to have those available next week as well.

Here is a pic. Keep in mind that it's pretty hard to get a good shot of the real world appearance. They aren't quite as bright in person.

#627 ·
As of right now, there are a few 05~07 WK rings in stock. I don't expect them to last long however. I can make more soon, since I have all the parts needed. I will be updating the site for the accent lighting as soon as I make the revisions I need. It should be next week. I think I may have underestimated demand though. I'll order more parts ASAP.

I appreciate you honoring the price. I'll be buying the accent kit to make up for that when it is ready!

Your site is great, and checkout worked perfectly.

Thanks again,
Matt
No problem Matt. It was the right thing to do.

I'm glad the site worked well for you. It just makes things so much easier to keep track of.

#629 ·
You can do whichever you prefer. I'm realistically a week away from having the accent lights ready. I'd probably lock down a set of the logo rings. Shipping is free (in the US), so it doesn't cost you any more to order something else later.

#631 ·
I don't currently. I was going to post a pic once I made the revisions. They are basically a rectangle with a recessed pocket for a LED strip. There will be double sided tape included, as well as a pair of holes should you wish to hard mount. I've been trying to come up with a killer kit, so I'm throwing in the screws of course. I even have little packets of alcohol wipes I'm including too. :D

#632 ·
I placed an order for the logo rings. I didn't see where I could leave a comment, so I'll post to this thread. I know you said the shipping is free for me, but that doesn't mean it is for you - so at your discretion you can wait to ship them until you're ready to ship the accent light kits as well.

I'm sure you will, but please post the accent lighting installation instructions to jeep-core when you revise the site.

Thanks again.

#634 ·
I placed an order for the logo rings. I didn't see where I could leave a comment, so I'll post to this thread. I know you said the shipping is free for me, but that doesn't mean it is for you - so at your discretion you can wait to ship them until you're ready to ship the accent light kits as well.

I'm sure you will, but please post the accent lighting installation instructions to jeep-core when you revise the site.

Thanks again.
Yeah, you are right. It's not free for me. I'll tell you what. I'll hold your order until next week. If there is some unforeseen delay with the accent lighting, I'll get the rings sent out without a further wait.

I'll get instructions added. Admittedly, I'm a little behind on my documentation for other vehicles too. I have to rely on others to help with that since I don't have access to all the different models. The accent lighting is pretty straightforward. Mine are installed forward, and right next to the transmission tunnel. There was a nice flat spot where the double stick tape adhered nicely. Wiring just runs back under the center console to where I have the controller sitting. I only had to pull the bezel off around my shifter to install. I did it in about 10 minutes last night, and part of that was because I had to run back into the house to grab my camera.

Terrific, Cant wait.. Thanks again!
Not a problem! :D

#638 ·
There is not, You need to get access around the shift bezel and cigarette lighter. Pulling the center console apart is extremely easy, I do it quite a bit to clean things easier. It is understandable though that it can be tempting pulling apart things in your car and wiring some things. If possible see if anyone in your area or work mates would be willing to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.