Just an update guys. I've got some good news and some bad news. How about the bad first? I took a little time tonight to get some more rings cut, however my CNC wasn't cooperating. More specifically, the special end mill I'm using for the acrylic wasn't playing nice. I ended up with about 8 sets that are pretty rubbish. (I cut a sheet of 16 rings at a time.) I was having issues with the acrylic melting despite the feed speed. Any attempts to raise the speed, and I would get edge chipping. Basically it bounced back and forth between melting and chipping. I'm guessing the end mill is duller than it appears, despite the fact that it's pretty new. So, the only immediate remedy it to switch from the 3-flute 3/16 mill", to a single flute 1/8". The biggest downside to doing that, is simply the milling time. I've got to slow the feed rate down a little more, reduce cut depth, and it won't remove as much material per pass. Oh well, there's not much I can do about it at this point until I buy a suitable replacement. As part of this end mill drama, I've not got as many sets done as I'd hoped. I'd like to get a few more done before I send out PM's to the new site.
So, on to the good news. The website is up and ready to take orders. With the exception of a link to some install instructions, we're ready to go there. I'm hoping to get the link out there to a few of you by the first part of next week. Also, for you cheapskates out there, I'll have some 'B' stock to sell for the 05~07 WK's. Here is why. On a few of the rings that were chipped during milling, I can't sell them as first quality. However, due to the fact that the 05~07 cupholders have those 3 'grips' around the bottom of the hole, those chips are easily hidden underneath them and will never be seen. I figured I'd sell them at a discount. Sorry I probably won't be able to do the same for the 08~10's. There would be nothing to hide the chips, and I think it would look bad when lit up.
Anyway, thanks for your patience will all of this. I'll get these things worked out soon enough!
That's a bummer to hear, but you gotta do what you gotta do. It's completely understandable about wanting to push the release date out a little further. I mean we have been waiting this long, what's a little longer. Just take your time. I can't necessarily speak for everyone else, but I know I am patient and don't mind the wait.
Thanks for the support guys. It's all a matter of getting the bugs out. I've usually just made one off pieces for myself in the past. Running batches requires a slightly different approach. It's basically a balance between volume and machine time. Anything can be cut cleanly when you're only taking .05" off per pass. However, that puts machine time at close to 5 minutes per ring. So, you then have to figure out how much faster you can ramp up the feed speed without getting chips. Speed helps when milling acrylic as it means less time spent with the mill on the acrylic surface, and you're less likely to have melting. It's all back to that balance.
So yes, the 'B' stock rings would be functionally perfect. Any cosmetic flaw would be completely hidden once installed.