WK Pinch Weld Mod. A few pictures. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK Pinch Weld Mod. A few pictures.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
JSajczuk
2008 WK 

WK Pinch Weld Mod. A few pictures.

The Pinch Weld Mod. Was done yesterday. I have a buddy at a body repair shop and they helped me out with it...so here are a few pictures.

Before:

After liner removed, the battery disconnected and the airbag sensor moved out of the way - we prepared the pinch weld, made as few of cuts as we though we needed, and made the cuts between the factory welds. We tried to move the joint over without cutting but it was just not going to.

After the joint was bent over we re-welded the cuts we made in the pinch weld to regain the possible lost strength fron cutting.

After welding, the prepared area was primed and the weld was sealed with body sealer...to help prevent the modification from rusting.

Once dried, we painted the area with underbody coating and remounted the airbag sensor.

Then the fender liner was cut, heat gunned to fit and reinstalled. AFTER:

2008 WK Limited: OEM Skid Plates/4xGuard Armor: Belly Pan, Front Guard, Diff Cover/Saguaro 4x: front recovery shackles/Lift: DayStar 2" BB/Wheels MB CHAOS 5 - 8.5x17 w/pos 25 offset/Tires: Hankook Dayna Pro ATm 265/70r17/ Front and Rear PinchWeld Mod./ Now a 'little LESS' Limited!
JSajczuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Budasac
2005 WK 

nice job. This is one of the many mods I hope to get to this weekend.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
ogie
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSajczuk View Post
The Pinch Weld Mod. Was done yesterday. I have a buddy at a body repair shop and they helped me out with it...so here are a few pictures.

Before:

After liner removed, the battery disconnected and the airbag sensor moved out of the way - we prepared the pinch weld, made as few of cuts as we though we needed, and made the cuts between the factory welds. We tried to move the joint over without cutting but it was just not going to.

After the joint was bent over we re-welded the cuts we made in the pinch weld to regain the possible lost strength fron cutting.

After welding, the prepared area was primed and the weld was sealed with body sealer...to help prevent the modification from rusting.

Once dried, we painted the area with underbody coating and remounted the airbag sensor.

Then the fender liner was cut, heat gunned to fit and reinstalled. AFTER:
Do you need to reweld the area when you're done? Does it make a huge difference?
Unread 05-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Budasac
2005 WK 

I have never seen anyone else re-weld the pinch after the mod. Nor have I ever heard of any issues. That being said. I have a welder. So I will be welding mine when I do it. Good idea, and certainly can't hurt. I didn't even think about it until this post.

Also like how the liner was re-worked. I'm assuming they just cut a slot and started heating that hump and working it until flat? Looks very clean. I've seen some others that were, well, not so clean looking.

I was thinking about doing the pinch mod and leaving the liner for now. It shouldn't rub unless I stuff it, and even then, if the pinch is done, the tires will be o-k. I'll just tear up the liner.
Unread 05-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
JSajczuk
2008 WK 

The guys at the body shop suggested that it would be 'better' to re-weld after the cut. I am not sure either way...but I figured the re-weld would be the 'safer/stronger' way to go.

The liner was cut, heated to flat, and resealed...nice to have a friend at a body shop (I know). I take NO CREDIT for the professional results/work They did it all!
2008 WK Limited: OEM Skid Plates/4xGuard Armor: Belly Pan, Front Guard, Diff Cover/Saguaro 4x: front recovery shackles/Lift: DayStar 2" BB/Wheels MB CHAOS 5 - 8.5x17 w/pos 25 offset/Tires: Hankook Dayna Pro ATm 265/70r17/ Front and Rear PinchWeld Mod./ Now a 'little LESS' Limited!
JSajczuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
08Hemiwk

I'm a newbie to the jeep scene and I was wondering what exactly this is for. I did a search but I'm turning up more results mentioning doing it than an answer to what it actually does. No doubt it must be beneficial but I've never done any such thin on any of my vehicles
08 WK Hemi: 4" Superlift, 305/55/20 Terra Grapplers, 20x9 KMC Misfits, Superchip, AirRaid Intake, Custom Exhaust, Custom Toolbox Mount, 4xG Rear Diff Guard, JKS Quick Disconnect, Rola Rack, KC Daylighters
08Hemiwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Hemiwk View Post
I'm a newbie to the jeep scene and I was wondering what exactly this is for. I did a search but I'm turning up more results mentioning doing it than an answer to what it actually does. No doubt it must be beneficial but I've never done any such thin on any of my vehicles
It's to make room for bigger tires. Otherwise when the wheel is turned and/or the suspension is compressed the tire will tear through the well liner and get cut up by the protruding pinch weld. Folding it over simply gives the tire another inch or so of space.
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
modette
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
It's to make room for bigger tires. Otherwise when the wheel is turned and/or the suspension is compressed the tire will tear through the well liner and get cut up by the protruding pinch weld. Folding it over simply gives the tire another inch or so of space.
I'm new too, so thanks for explaining that...so something to worry about when you go to bigger tires!!! Good to know.

Could you not beat the pinch weld flat? The bro has a welder, and I'm good at this type of stuff...but it be a long ways off for now...just enjoy taking the wife & dog out to some of the places I typical Dual Sport to.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Budasac
2005 WK 

I haven't done it yet, but apparrently it's difficult to hammer it flat w/o cutting. Some people have had luck torching it first. I'm gonna try everything. Heat it first. Then ,if I have to, make as few cuts as possible, and finish it with a weld.

I actually have 32's now and I'm not going bigger. But I am installing some 1.5" spacers this weekend to widen the stance a little and have a feeling this mod will be needed.
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

wow! looks really good!
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
WKBoston
2006 WK 

Budasac,

The pinch weld mod really is not bad, Just time consuming, I went overboard with the bed liner spray.
Black WK Club Member #26
WKBoston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
DAHEMI
2005 WK 

agreed, great job! I'm wondering if the number of cuts could be reduced. esp using a BFH / mallet that should coax the metal over? I wondering how to do this w/o a cut off tool or angle grinder, neither of which I have need to clearance the tow hitch and bolt threads too. right now I get the faintest of rubbing making hard U turns, am sure would be worse under compression.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue WK Club Member #1[/COLOR]
my poor signature is thrashed so deleted it
[I]The Second Amendment - America's Original Homeland Security[/I]
DAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHEMI View Post
agreed, great job! I'm wondering if the number of cuts could be reduced. esp using a BFH / mallet that should coax the metal over? I wondering how to do this w/o a cut off tool or angle grinder, neither of which I have need to clearance the tow hitch and bolt threads too. right now I get the faintest of rubbing making hard U turns, am sure would be worse under compression.

I'm sure you could get away with a hack saw for the pinch weld (might take a while) Def. need a cut off tool for the hitch. Not much room to work up there. I'm sure Harbour Freight delivers to the island, no?
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
criket
2005 WK 

I did my pinch weld with a big hammer. No cutting, just plain old beating it til my hands and fingers bleed. Now that I look back, I could have done a better and easier job if I'd thought it through.

Nice job on the pinch weld mod. Probably the best I seen on here so far.
2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG antenna mount | Rola roof
criket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
justanotherjpr

Wow! Props for cutting sheet metal on a WK!

To the guy asking about a hack saw - you would be well invested to buy an angle grinder $20 for a cheapie at harbor freight or $45 for a decent one at Lowes.

I have this one (which was about $40 at Lowes) and it is fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-G12SR3-2-Inch-Angle-Grinder/dp/B000ULQVCU
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.