WK Paint problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK Paint problem

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
bmaccausland

WK Paint problem

Hi, I have a 2006 WK in which the paint has started etching away down to the base coat. Has anyone had or heard of this problem? I would appreciate any input.

Bryan

bmaccausland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Strange, but can happen to any vehicle depending on where you live, if it was ever washed of road chemicals, salt etc etc. Just started by probably eating the clear coat off and then after that there's no stopping it unless you get it re sprayed and some new clear coat on
Unread 08-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
OM642WK
2007 WK 

Yes, Jeep did have a "checking" problem with certain colors. It looks like a million razor cuts in the clear coat. The thought is that the colored base coat wasn't cured properly which along with UV rays causes the clear coat to check. There is no "fix". The repair is to remove all the paint and start over. I had my '07 walnut shell blasted, re primed, painted then clear coated. BTW, with zero help from Chrysler.
OM642WK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.