WK NV245 Manual Controller - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-18-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
UPwjjeep
2005 WK 

WK NV245 Manual Controller

Hey Guys,

I am working a project on my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with QuadraTrac 2. First a little background on the project, then a couple of questions. Background is a little long, so bear with me:

A few months ago, the FDCM started acting up, causing the transfer case to default into the 4WD LOCK position. After various trips to the dealer, and reflashing under the most recent FDCM recall, I decided to just "Bypass" the FDCM and make a manual transfer case controller for off road use. While on the road, the controller will be powered off, locking the transfer case in its last selected state.

For off road use, I am setting up 3 inputs for the controller that will be mounted in the storage area between the 12V power outlet. One input will be a two position switch (Enabled/Disabled), the second a two position switch (4Hi/4LO), and the third a potentiometer (TCase Lock %)

The second two inputs are used to control an Arduino, which takes additional inputs from the Transfer Case Motor mode sensor and T-Handle Shifter. The Arduino drives 4 Relays are used to control the Transfer Case Motor motion and braking. Basic operation will be: Select 4HI or 4L0, select transfer case lock percentage, then lift the T-Case handle to execute the shift.

At this point in the game, I have done a little bench testing, and went ahead and wired the Arduino into the jeep with the applicable inputs and outputs. I now have a fair amount of sotware development to do to get everything functioning how I want.

Finally, my questions..

1) One other feature I would like to incorporate is an input the Arduino from the "Neutral Safety Switch" or whatever the equivalent is these days. Does anyone have any info on where I could grab the signal that the shifter lever is in the "Neutral" position?

2) Obviously since I have pretty much trashed the FDCM, the "Service 4wd" light is on constantly. Does anyone know if there is some way to trick the system to shut this message off?

I know I have seen a few threads of people doing similar setups, so I'll post some pics as I get further.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-18-2016, 09:02 PM
XKJeep
2006 XK Commander 

Garage
Interesting. I copy and pasted your post to the ongoing "N23 Service Light No 4WD Lo" thread.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-19-2016, 10:25 AM
msully725
2010 WK 

It's the project list for me to try to do the same thing, and also include controls for the ELSDs. Have the arduino and the plan, don't have the time.

Do you have this built and currently working, like you can shift from 4HI locked/unlocked?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
UPwjjeep
2005 WK 

Not quite built and working yet, but getting there. I currently have the Arduino with a Seeed relay shield wired into the jeep at the FDCM. With my laptop connected I can move the motor around a bit, but am working on the software to automate. Once I get things working I need to build an enclosure and hook up some different relays (the relays on the Arduino shield are a bit small...work but probably wouldn't last very well).

Adding the ELSD functionality wouldn't be hard if you are already doing the rest...my jeep doesn't have them, but from my understanding of the circuitry you should just need 2 additional outputs that can also be wired into near the FDCM.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 AM
msully725
2010 WK 

Do you know if the shift motor changes position based on input voltage? Say 0V its "position 0 - 4HI Unlocked", and 12V is "position x - 4Lo Locked"?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
UPwjjeep
2005 WK 

Not exactly input Voltage. Pins 1-3 on the connector for the transfer case motor are for a position sensor that is embedded in the motor. The sensor returns a voltage of 0-5 volts depending on the position of the motor. Pins 4 and 5 are essentially the motor leads. By applying 12 volts across pins 4 and 5, the motor will spin. The direction depends on the polarity of the voltage applied to pins 4 and 5. So the system operates by watching the voltage on the senior (pins 1-3) and applying 12 volts on pins 4 -5 until the desired position is achieved.

As far as the sensor voltages, below are the output voltages for the given modes:

4Lo: 4.19 - 4.35 volts
4Lo locked: 4.35- 4.5 volts
4Hi: 0.45 - 0.55 volts
4Hi locked: 0.2 - 0.45 volts.

As you can see it takes a little bit of logic in the controller to watch the output from the sensor and turn apply 12v to pins 4-5, which is why I am using an Arduino.

Another side note is the pins 6-7 are a motor brake, which must be released before the motor changes position. The motor is released by putting 12 volts across pins 5-7.

I intend on doing a more detailed write up as I get time to complete this project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.