WK Laredo 3.7l Transmission Problems Falls into Neutral - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK Laredo 3.7l Transmission Problems Falls into Neutral

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
ksteve
2009 WK 

WK Laredo 3.7l Transmission Problems Falls into Neutral

I have been having a hell of a time trying to get my Jeep working properly. While driving it keeps falling into neutral. I shut the car off, then restart it and it works for a little while. I have done a lot of research and decided to start by checking the ATF level. That wasn't it! Next step was to check the round plug for the harness that goes to the TCM. No leaking or moisture in that plug. Further reading suggested that it was the Lead Frame aka conductor plate. I changed this on the weekend. The jeep ran great for a few hours, went driving around town all night until it started slipping into neutral again, then i barely made it home. Has anyone had much experience with similar issues. And has anyone changed the Conductor plate and still had to have the dealership run an Adaption or Flash of the TCM?

ksteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:08 AM   #2
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Is it actually dropping into neutral or does it just feel like it?

Have you read about the electronic shift module? That kind of reminds me of a symptom of that but normally you get each of the gears enclosed in a square on the dash, too(instead of just the one selected). I had one module replaced under warranty and the second time it happened i removed it and cleaned it. There's a write up somewhere on how to do that.

Also, are you sure you checked the fluid level correctly? Its not the easiest on the wa580/nag1 trans.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #3
ksteve
2009 WK 

it feels like its falling out of drive. I have read about the TCM errors and it is not selecting all gear options on the dash. I have correctly adjusted the fluid level. My TCM is located inside the dash board. Right to the steering column and left to the radio. Is that where yours was? Also, my gear selector is different from all other WK's. I thought about cleaning that selector board but mine is different.
Unread Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #4
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteve View Post
it feels like its falling out of drive. I have read about the TCM errors and it is not selecting all gear options on the dash. I have correctly adjusted the fluid level. My TCM is located inside the dash board. Right to the steering column and left to the radio. Is that where yours was? Also, my gear selector is different from all other WK's. I thought about cleaning that selector board but mine is different.
I'm not sure where my TCM is. The ESM (electronic shift module) is located under the shifter itself. I've never messed with my TCM though.

How did you read the temperature of the transmission to check the fluid level, and what dipstick did you use? Just curious. I still haven't gotten a dipstick for mine.

How is your gear shift selector different?

I think after the conductor plate swap you do have to go to a dealer to get all the TCM codes reset/erased. Otherwise, according to my research the car will still drive like crap even if it's fixed.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #5
ksteve
2009 WK 

I did a cold measurement of the fluid. Used a 48" tie strap or zip tie to measure the fluid. I plan on buying the Miller tools transmission dipstick. I will be taking into the dealer this week as soon as I can find the time. Sucks for me though, because the closest dealer to me here in Canada quoted me $240 just to clear TCM DTC codes and do an Adaption on the TCM
Unread Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #6
ksteve
2009 WK 

My shift module in the 09 is different. I cannot take it apart like the earlier WK's I have a Jeep Service Manual and its not the same.
Unread Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #7
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteve View Post
I did a cold measurement of the fluid. Used a 48" tie strap or zip tie to measure the fluid. I plan on buying the Miller tools transmission dipstick. I will be taking into the dealer this week as soon as I can find the time. Sucks for me though, because the closest dealer to me here in Canada quoted me $240 just to clear TCM DTC codes and do an Adaption on the TCM
By cold measurement , i hope you mean with the engine running and in neutral . Even running cold measurements are not accurate . Have you checked your transmission filter ? although it's not a known problem on the 3.7's , split filters still happen . Also are you certain that there is ONLY atf+4 fluid in the trans and on that vehicle the transfer case too ?
good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #8
ksteve
2009 WK 

Yes of course running. Although Chryser Dealerconnect states it should be in park running. I just did the Conductor plate so its all new ATF4+ and brand new filter. I am having the dealer delete all the DTC codes on the TCM and do a quicklearn on the TCM tomorrow. ill see if that does it.
Unread Today, 09:31 AM   #9
ksteve
2009 WK 

Back to the drawing board. Dealer flashed the TCM and did a quicklearn. Still no dice, he's going to give me the codes and I'll have to continue troubleshooting on my own. They're suggesting a new transmission. I dont think its that drastic.
Unread Today, 12:43 PM   #10
ksteve
2009 WK 

Got the codes;

P0501
P0732
P0733

Not what i was expecting. P0501 suggests there is an issue with either the ABS or TCM. I have no ABS codes so I'm guessing its the TCM. The other two codes are incorrect gear codes. Which suggest making sure the gear ratio programming is correct, which it is. The other suggestions for those last two codes are that either huge internal failure or the TCM. Seems to be the TCM is causing all these headaches. I'm going to see if I can find one from another jeep and swap them out to see.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.