wk front driveshaft smoked !!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > wk front driveshaft smoked !!!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayl00p
Carolina driveshaft is currently building me a replacement front driveshaft. It will have multi double cardan joints to replace the rezeppa and cv joints. It will have 6" slip. They only charge $338+shipping so hopefully it will be a solid product.
How's this working out for you? Also, what drivetrain and engine do you have? I have 4.7L with QTII.

KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternPA
So I tried to drive across the country again. The vibration got to be too frequent and too scary to get beyond Illinois. It's up on the lift. The transfer case has a small leak, but the CV boots on the wheels look great. They think it's the CV joint at the rear of the front drive shaft. We're just going to pull out the front drive shaft and drive 4x2 for the rest of the trip. I guess Vail is out of the question on the return leg! Update: the Jeep won't move without the front drive shaft installed. They're going to pack it full of grease and reinstall it. I could have sworn I've read about people removing the front drive shaft. Maybe that was an 04? I also have good pics but can't post from the phone.
Ya the WK's must have both shafts in place for it to move.
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #33
EasternPA
2005 WK 

The good news is that greasing up the CV joint completely cleared it right up. Now I need to see how long the grease stays in there. Got another 1,500 miles to go before I know someone who can swap it out. Here is the rear end of the front driveshaft. This was making all that racket.

EasternPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #34
EasternPA
2005 WK 

Another update. I could only find reman replacements online, but my cousin was able to get a new one from Chrysler. It arrives Monday morning. The grease has been holding up just fine. No grinding at all.
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #35
jayl00p

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321Nick
How's this working out for you? Also, what drivetrain and engine do you have? I have 4.7L with QTII.
I've got the 5.7/QDII. The front shaft has held up GREAT and no more Cv joint to blow! I know of a guy that bought the exact shaft for his commander and it's working great as well.
'05 WK LTD HEMI|Custom 6" lift-Superlift+Spacers|EGR|AEV Savegre|35" GY Duratrac|SRT8 Front and Rear Sway Bars|Rusty's Adjustable Rear LCAs|Mopar CAI|Gibson 3" Cat-Back w cats deleted|RIGID 30" LED|SC Flashpaq|Yakima Bike+Snow+Kayak|Rola|Superwinch X9 winch|Custom bi-xenon Projector Headlights|
jayl00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #36
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternPA
The good news is that greasing up the CV joint completely cleared it right up. Now I need to see how long the grease stays in there. Got another 1,500 miles to go before I know someone who can swap it out. Here is the rear end of the front driveshaft. This was making all that racket.
Are you CRD ?
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #37
EasternPA
2005 WK 

I am not. 4.7 QT-II.
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #38
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

The link in the beginning of this thread is not working for me. Does anyone have a new link? Also, would these parts work on an XK with a 5.7 QT2? The boot on my front drive shaft at the t-case has a small cut and is starting to sling grease out... Thanks.
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #39
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

So I need an opinion on if you guys think I am having driveshaft issues. I plan on putting it on some jack stands when I get a chance next weekend, but figured I would circulate the issue in a conversation first.

When I hit 15, 30, and 50 MPH, I get a vibration under the gas pedal/center tunnel. The vibration goes away after you get past these speeds but it has a horrible grinding if you keep it there. I have compared RPMs with these speeds and it seems to be isolated to the speeds, not the RPM level. Also, when I put the transmission in neutral, the vibration/grinding stops.

Think this is a driveshaft issue? There is no clicking that I can hear, although I have developed a clunk when my right wheel goes over a speed bump -- guessing that is a bushing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #40
EasternPA
2005 WK 

No, I do not. Specifically because you say the noise stops when put it in neutral. While attempting to diagnose it, the noise absolutely did not go away in neutral.
Unread 12-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #41
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternPA View Post
No, I do not. Specifically because you say the noise stops when put it in neutral. While attempting to diagnose it, the noise absolutely did not go away in neutral.
Thanks for the feedback Eastern! I was actually afraid this might be the case because it probably ties to the transmission at this point. Front diff, rear diff, wheel hubs are all going to keep showing some sort of symptom, regardless if it is in neutral or drive. Transfer case and transmission are the only two things that would probably make a difference with that.

I'll still take a look at the driveshafts when I get it up on a jack this weekend. I still have hope it's the front shaft for dollar purposes...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.