wk front driveshaft smoked !!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > wk front driveshaft smoked !!!

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 06-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
marcram
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternPA View Post
I commute 700 miles/wk (300 on weekends and 100 M-F) and about every 6-8 weeks, I hear a horrible, random knocking sound coming from the front end when decelerating, usually for just a few minutes. It sounds like some gears are not hooking up (whatever that means!) Only sometimes does the sound repeat at speeds matching the driving speed, but every time it happens there are periods of random (VERY) hard knocking sounds. Since it only happens every 6-8 weeks and generally only happens about 5 minutes into a cold drive and lasts about 5-10 minutes, there's basically no way I can get it into a shop to get them to hear the sound.

Do you think the sound I'm describing is related to the front driveshaft? Axle? I've already replaced the right rear bearings, but that was definitely a more consistent grinding sound -- not a random, HARD banging sound vibrating through the frame, and definitely not for just a few minutes every couple of months. I'm afraid the front end is going to lock up one day, stranding me a few hundred miles from home.

I know some other people have talked about disconnecting the front end during the summer months when they know they won't need the 4x4. Should I consider that as a cheap fix for a while?

Thoughts? Thanks!
I have a similar if not the same problem on my 2008 WK. Did you ever find out what was wrong? Thinking noise may be due to this play.

https://vimeo.com/68104112

marcram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #17
EasternPA
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcram View Post

I have a similar if not the same problem on my 2008 WK. Did you ever find out what was wrong? Thinking noise may be due to this play.

https://vimeo.com/68104112
I haven't figured it out yet. I don't think I experienced it during the last oil change segment (about 5 weeks). I also experience a grinding whiny kind of sound when I just barely touch the gas pedal between about 15 and 30 mph. I can see that sound being attributed to the play you show in your video.

I can't imagine the scary loud semi-random banging sound coming from the front end or under my seat being caused by the play you highlighted. I feel like it could be a loose strut that occasionally gets in and out of phase with the rotating wheel or axle action. With the warmer weather here, I may not experience it again until the crisp fall mornings return.
EasternPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #18
marcram
2008 WK 

My problems are also intermittent, right now much less vibration and play in the front drive shaft and less grinding noise. You may want to at least test the front driveshaft for play in normal mode and then when in the loud noise mode. It is peculiar that it happens with both of ours when decelerating at low speeds... makes me think gears get caught in weird mode. I describe this as a wobble feeling and it seems to be front left of the car, right under the driver's feet, but that is also where the differential is. I've been told that it may be front differential or the output of the transfer case. I'm thinking front driveshaft near differential, but I'm not a mechanic. It also happens when in neutral and rolling. My problem was as sporatic as yours is, but it seems to be getting worse with time. Please keep me updated on any information you find out. I looked under my mom's XK with same QDII and it didn't have much play in the front driveshaft.
marcram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
duckmans83
2005 WK 

I am having an issue with noise like a bad cv joint but axle boots are good and only does it every once in a while. Front diff bushings are tost so started tearing it apart. Found tc side of drive shaft has a bad boot. Also have the tc play like in video above. I did receive a recall notice in the mail for the transfer case.
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
duckmans83
2005 WK 

Driveshaftparts.com worked out real good. Thanks for the link. They are working on a new website also.ME807.com
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #21
jediknight
2008 WK 

Was your noise more predominant when at low speed and decelarating (50 km/h or 30mph) ?
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #22
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmans83 View Post
Driveshaftparts.com worked out real good. Thanks for the link. They are working on a new website also.ME807.com
Just to throw this out there -

ME807 and ME709 (tcase and diff cv's respectively) did not work with the front shaft of my 2007 4.7 w/ QTII.

The tcase end did not seat deep enough for the snap ring to fully snap into position and the differential end was simply too small in diameter to even slide onto the splines of the shaft.

Driveshaftparts took return shipment from me and reimbursed in full including all shipping charges.

But just wanted to point this out for anyone else with the same set-up.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
duckmans83
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
Was your noise more predominant when at low speed and decelarating (50 km/h or 30mph) ?
Mine would click when going slow like a bad cv joint. I looked under the jeep and could see where the grease flung out and boot was ripped. The new joint worked for my 2005 5.7 front drive shaft transfer case side joint. Just to be clear.
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #24
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmans83

Mine would click when going slow like a bad cv joint. I looked under the jeep and could see where the grease flung out and boot was ripped. The new joint worked for my 2005 5.7 front drive shaft transfer case side joint. Just to be clear.
So I presume replacing the front drive shaft t-case side cv joint solved your problem ?
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #25
duckmans83
2005 WK 

Yep. No more clicking.
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
jayl00p

Carolina driveshaft is currently building me a replacement front driveshaft. It will have multi double cardan joints to replace the rezeppa and cv joints. It will have 6" slip. They only charge $338+shipping so hopefully it will be a solid product.
'05 WK LTD HEMI|Custom 6" lift-Superlift+Spacers|EGR|AEV Savegre|35" GY Duratrac|SRT8 Front and Rear Sway Bars|Rusty's Adjustable Rear LCAs|Mopar CAI|Gibson 3" Cat-Back w cats deleted|RIGID 30" LED|SC Flashpaq|Yakima Bike+Snow+Kayak|Rola|Superwinch X9 winch|Custom bi-xenon Projector Headlights|
jayl00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

I happen to live about 15 miutes from Driveshaftparts.com. They were good enough to let me walk in and buy the replacement boot kit for the transfer case end of the front drive shaft. Most internet companies use a po.box or just want you to buy it online so they dont have to be bothered with walk-ins. Well, I cannot say enough good things about these guys. They were friendly, their office was neat and organized, my 12 year old daughter even commented on how nice they were.
Well replacing the boot was a snap. Easy text book stuff. their kit came with everything I needed to change the boot, even a pouch of grease and the bolts and the snap ring. I took the CV joint apart and cleaned it out so I could inspect it carefully, it was in great shape so I reused it. The only part that gave me any problems was getting the front cover that the rubber boot is attached to.. off. Its kind of a press on piece that you have to sort of knock off with a flat chisel and a hammer, and tap back on with a small hammer. I'm sure there are special tool s for this but it can be done with regular tools. If your reading this and have 60 or 70 thousand miles on a WK, slide under there and look at this part, if you catch it early you'll save yourself lots of aggravation.
Just thanks to the person who directed me to Driveshaftparts.com.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #28
jediknight
2008 WK 

I have a similar noise coming from the front end, but I'm still not sure if my noise is related to the front drive shaft or one of the wheals drive shafts .... Is there a way to isolate the problem in a way that it will allow to determine if this is realy related to the front drive shaft ?? Is there any greace nipples on this ?? ...didn't see any

The noise (sounds like a clack clack clack noise) is noticeable at low speed and on decelaration, but at speed higher then 60Mph the noise seems to disapear

I've went under the car and the shafts seems to be in ok condition with theire "tolerable" play in each of them.
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #29
duckmans83
2005 WK 

I would just look at the boots to see if they are ripped. The driveshaft boot is different. It is kind of inverted I guess. If you stick your finger in the boot on the transfer case side and you have grease on your finger that would tell you. No grease fittings.
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #30
EasternPA
2005 WK 

So I tried to drive across the country again. The vibration got to be too frequent and too scary to get beyond Illinois. It's up on the lift. The transfer case has a small leak, but the CV boots on the wheels look great. They think it's the CV joint at the rear of the front drive shaft. We're just going to pull out the front drive shaft and drive 4x2 for the rest of the trip.

I guess Vail is out of the question on the return leg!

Update: the Jeep won't move without the front drive shaft installed. They're going to pack it full of grease and reinstall it. I could have sworn I've read about people removing the front drive shaft. Maybe that was an 04? I also have good pics but can't post from the phone.
EasternPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.