wk front driveshaft smoked !!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > wk front driveshaft smoked !!!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
wingnutt98

wk front driveshaft smoked !!!

is there any info on this problem ? please help!

wingnutt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

How do you know.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
wingnutt98

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusjeep
How do you know.
Cause it was grinding and squeaking and had bad vibrations while accelerating and when coasting. When I took it out the dust boot on the cv end was gone and it was dry as mulched up bones.
wingnutt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
Valpacer

2007 WK 

The ends are replaceable, these guys sell them to do at home. Just check the exact one.

http://www.driveshaftparts.com/cv-jo.../prod_430.html

1 hr job inc remove and replace.
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer View Post
The ends are replaceable, these guys sell them to do at home. Just check the exact one.

http://www.driveshaftparts.com/cv-jo.../prod_430.html

1 hr job inc remove and replace.
Been lookin through countless threads and interweb searches - including that website. Do the cv ends they sell crossover to the WK? According to their fitment charts they don't but I know you mention here and other threads that you've used them.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
JeepN4KC

^^^ bump

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
BobG97
2005 WK 

I had to rebuild the front CV in my wk, I think it was about $120 to do it, but I don't remember where the part came from. It's a simple job to pull and replace the shaft
BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Yep, transfer case end is the ME807, used one on my last shaft before the double cardan shaft went in. The diff end rarely fails, but they have told me that they have one that fits if needed. Vid on the page as well for how to change.
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer View Post
Yep, transfer case end is the ME807, used one on my last shaft before the double cardan shaft went in. The diff end rarely fails, but they have told me that they have one that fits if needed. Vid on the page as well for how to change.
Excellent - they will be receiving my business soon. Thanks.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
NameLikeNoOther

I am going to give thes guys a call, it looks like the diff end on my is torched and t-case is good. But I may as well do both if I have hte shaft out.

Thanks for the tip
NameLikeNoOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
christiang26
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer
That transfer case end is a upgrade or just a stock replacement?
christiang26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
EasternPA
2005 WK 

I commute 700 miles/wk (300 on weekends and 100 M-F) and about every 6-8 weeks, I hear a horrible, random knocking sound coming from the front end when decelerating, usually for just a few minutes. It sounds like some gears are not hooking up (whatever that means!) Only sometimes does the sound repeat at speeds matching the driving speed, but every time it happens there are periods of random (VERY) hard knocking sounds. Since it only happens every 6-8 weeks and generally only happens about 5 minutes into a cold drive and lasts about 5-10 minutes, there's basically no way I can get it into a shop to get them to hear the sound.

Do you think the sound I'm describing is related to the front driveshaft? Axle? I've already replaced the right rear bearings, but that was definitely a more consistent grinding sound -- not a random, HARD banging sound vibrating through the frame, and definitely not for just a few minutes every couple of months. I'm afraid the front end is going to lock up one day, stranding me a few hundred miles from home.

I know some other people have talked about disconnecting the front end during the summer months when they know they won't need the 4x4. Should I consider that as a cheap fix for a while?

Thoughts? Thanks!
EasternPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Does this mean with any super lift your going to need new driveshafts
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiang26 View Post

That transfer case end is a upgrade or just a stock replacement?
I'd say it's just a stock rebuild. All you need in most cases.

An upgrade would be what Dave did when he swapped in a double cardan. U-joints all around- much simpler and stronger.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
Does this mean with any super lift your going to need new driveshafts
No. With the CRD having a shorter front shaft the angles are too great for the SL front diff drop. Those with the longer front shaft dont seem to have an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I'd say it's just a stock rebuild. All you need in most cases.

An upgrade would be what Dave did when he swapped in a double cardan. U-joints all around- much simpler and stronger.
Correct.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.