WK Diesel: Fuel Filter Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK Diesel: Fuel Filter Change

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

WK Diesel: Fuel Filter Change

Does anybody have DIY instructions for changing the fuel filter on a Grand Cherokee Diesel? I am rapidly approaching 25000 miles and prefer to do my 25K service myself. I tried searching but came up empty handed.

2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
I have edited my oil change post to include this hope it helps you http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/finished-first-oil-change-08-crd-grand-493293/
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 01-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Thanks Merlin! One question - What kind of pipe do I need for the air bleeding?
2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007GrandDiesel
Thanks Merlin! One question - What kind of pipe do I need for the air bleeding?
Hi
Sorry what every fits canít remember the size. Note: it comes out very fast.
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
fourjeepin
2008 WK 

After about 8 months of owning my 2008 diesel Grand Cherokee, I hit the recommended mileage for a fuel filter change. Thanks to Merlin, this was almost as easy as an oil change. I did make a few additions/changes to his instructions. No offense to Merlin as I have appreciated his posts greatly.

Fuel filter change
1. Remove top cover
2. Remove air intake (9/32 + 10mm socket)
3. Remove fuel hoses
4. Unplug water in fuel sensor
5. Remove 3 x E10 bolts
6. Remover fuel filter
7. Loosen 5mm Allen bolt and remove the fuel filter from cradle
8. Remove 2 x T20 screws and remove water level sensor
9. Replace o-rings on the water level sensor

Refit in reverse order. To bleed air open up bleed screw, attach suitable hose from the bleed screw to a container and turn on the ignition till clean fuel comes out. Close screw and remove hose.

Useful info
Tools: E10 socket, T20 Torx socket, 5 mm allen key socket.
Clic-R Collar Hose Clamp Pliers ($36.99 from ecrater.com).

Disclaimer: This is my first post after lurking for many months and no, I'm not associated with the ecrater site. It was the only place I could find those pliers. They were spendy and took awhile to arrive, but I like having the right tool.
fourjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

So there is no pressure on the system...if I remove the fuel hoses..fuel is not going to spary all over the place? Obviously I would do this with the key out of the ignition.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
BAH101
2008 WK 

Nope, there was not pressure in the hose's when I did mine. I little residual, that is all. If you do not have the Click-R collar pliers to remove the hose clamps, you can use a small 1/8 flat head screwdriver. just put it into the gap you see on the hose clamp and give it a twist, it will pop open. Then use some bent kneedle nose pliers to reset them. You will hear an audible clamp when they seat. I have now purchased the pliers from Mac tools, $30 if I remember correctly. You might not get fuel out of the bleed, I did on the first filter, but not on the last. Jeep started up with no hesitation anyways.
Also, the upper filter on the water sensor leaked the first time and I have heard here than others have had the same issue, I applied a small amount ot Hylomar (a liquid gasket for fuels and oils) on the upper "O"ring, no leaks. If you use a bleed hose, I believe it is a 1/8 ID hose, and hold on to it, if you don't it will wip all over spraying fuel (don't ask how I know that). When installing, make sure you have the filter correctly positioned in the holder, makes it easier to attach the hoses and wire connector.
There is a ground wire on the back L/H attachment screw, I believe that is the ground for the glow plugs (correct me if I am wrong Merlin) make sure you do not forget it and just check it for corrosion to make sure you have a good connection. I read some articles that this could be a cause of some premature glow plug issues.
other than that, like the others have said, it is very simple and quick.
Bryan.
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Fire911

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourjeepin View Post
After about 8 months of owning my 2008 diesel Grand Cherokee, I hit the recommended mileage for a fuel filter change. Thanks to Merlin, this was almost as easy as an oil change. I did make a few additions/changes to his instructions. No offense to Merlin as I have appreciated his posts greatly.

Fuel filter change
1. Remove top cover
2. Remove air intake (9/32 + 10mm socket)
3. Remove fuel hoses
4. Unplug water in fuel sensor
5. Remove 3 x E10 bolts
6. Remover fuel filter
7. Loosen 5mm Allen bolt and remove the fuel filter from cradle
8. Remove 2 x T20 screws and remove water level sensor
9. Replace o-rings on the water level sensor

Refit in reverse order. To bleed air open up bleed screw, attach suitable hose from the bleed screw to a container and turn on the ignition till clean fuel comes out. Close screw and remove hose.

Useful info
Tools: E10 socket, T20 Torx socket, 5 mm allen key socket.
Clic-R Collar Hose Clamp Pliers ($36.99 from ecrater.com).

Disclaimer: This is my first post after lurking for many months and no, I'm not associated with the ecrater site. It was the only place I could find those pliers. They were spendy and took awhile to arrive, but I like having the right tool.
Hi fourjeepin,
it looks, you are very exerianced in the procedure for changing the Diesel Filter. I have a 2007 GC Overland with the 3.0L CRD engine.
A stupid question to you: where are the filter located? I was searching around and didn't find the filter.
Thanks for your help.
Wolfgang
Fire911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Chirpz

2007 WK 

The fuel filter is located smack in the middle of the engine. Right under the fresh air intake, between the banks of the V shape of the motor. Remove engine cover, then remove the air intake tube that leads from the air cleaner to the turbo, then you will see it. Conveniently located.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
johnjk

I just finished replacing the fuel filter on mine, and now I'm getting a p0675 code for a bad glow plug. i did make sure I replaced the ground wire. Maybe just bad luck? Seems odd. 47k miles.
johnjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #11
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Maybe you bumped something loose? Go back and check your wiring.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
johnjk

I will, thanks. I had trouble bleeding the system. I was not getting fuel out of the bleed valve. I wonder if turning the key on and off several times may have blown the glow plug?
johnjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
oilverland
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjk View Post
I will, thanks. I had trouble bleeding the system. I was not getting fuel out of the bleed valve. I wonder if turning the key on and off several times may have blown the glow plug?
I was too. Then I opened the bleed valve further, and on turning on the ignition the fuel came out so fast it overfilled the catch jar and spilled diesel inside the engine compartment. I suggest a very large catch jar that is kept away from the vehicle, and an assistant.

For a bleed line I had some 1/4" polyethylene tubing on hand that fit perfectly. It is sold in hardware stores by length, or as part of kits for tapping water lines for refrigerator ice makers and water filters. It's mostly transparent so you can see when the fuel is coming out.

On the detailed instructions from fourjeepin (thank you very much BTW), next time I'm going to try: Loosen but do not remove the E10 bolts. Loosen the 5mm Allen bolt. Lift the filter out of the cradle. If that works then I don't have to be careful about losing fuel line clamps or forgetting to reattach the ground strap.
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
BAH101
2008 WK 

Check the terminal end on the wire, make sure it is not corroded. Even between the end and its wire. Also make sure you have good contact between the wire and the engine. I know it sound simple, but you would be amazed hoe the simple things can really stump the most experienced mechanic (don't ask how I know that).
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
ianrmz250
2007 WK 

I never bleed mine.I have replaced 4 filters since owning my Jeep and every change i replace the filter , attach fuel lines and crank the motor , after several seconds the engine starts no problem.Saves alot of mess.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.