WK CRD: Swirl Motor Question for the experts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK CRD: Swirl Motor Question for the experts

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Drewd

WK CRD: Swirl Motor Question for the experts

Hi,
Can somebody explain the actual mechanism of how oil leaking form the turbo charger/intake area actually damages the swirl motor? Is the damage caused by oil electrically shorting it or some other mechanism?

Here is why I'm asking. I finally replaced the intake assembly with the upgraded one. I've had a nasty oil smell for a while and I can see visible smoke coming from the area when engine is hot. Is there anyway I can get rid of the oil mess without destroying the swirl motor?

I'd like to pressure wash the area after I soak it with some engine degreaser.

Thanks for your help.
Drew

Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
maxst2
2006 WK 

You talking that the oil lubrication on the turbo is leaking into the compressor?
maxst2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
It's the oil getting into the motor that does the damage so washing it I would be careful was around it should be fine as it's only the EGR and oil coolers around it and the V of the engine as drain holes.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Drewd

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
You talking that the oil lubrication on the turbo is leaking into the compressor?
No, blowby gasses from the crank case ventilation system are laden with oil. A provent/racor CCV filter is mandatory equipment to filter them out. Prior to doing this, oil in the intake from blowby gasses would leak out the intake where the intake is mounted to the turbo (poor seal design) and remainder would damage swirl motor post turbo intake assembly.
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Turbo intake tube seal info

http://www.crdsite.com/articles/wkintake/tsoilfix.html

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
Drewd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
That site appears to be inaccurate. Oil leaking from the turbo intake tube seal doesn't destroy the swirl motor. In fact, oil leaking from the seal may prevent the swirl motor from being damaged if you can stand the stench.

Based on merlin's post, its the oil in the intake from ccv blowby gasses that damage the swirl motor.
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd View Post
That site appears to be inaccurate. Oil leaking from the turbo intake tube seal doesn't destroy the swirl motor. In fact, oil leaking from the seal may prevent the swirl motor from being damaged if you can stand the stench.

Based on merlin's post, its the oil in the intake from ccv blowby gasses that damage the swirl motor.
An informative thread by merlentec.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...l-leak-863459/

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

I think I understand the Swirl Motor issue now. Is this correct? It's actually the leak at the mouth of the inlet to the turbo that is the root of the problem. It is the accumulation and POOLING of the leaked oil sitting on the OUTSIDE of the top of the engine between the cylinder banks that's the REAL issue. Does it then find it's way to the Swirl Motor as it runs around the outside of the engine? The oil vapor passing thru the CCV, thru the turbo and into the intake and intercooler (although not good either), is NOT the actual cause of the Swirl Motor failure. As long as I keep oil from leaking onto the top of the engine, I should be able to avoid this failure. And this is a design flaw inherent to the WK and other Chrysler applications and less of an issue on the Benzes with this same engine. Is there a picture of the swirl motor? I assume it's certainly not visible from the outside. Thanks for any dumbed-down explanations you can give. A bit of a novice wrench turner here.

Last edited by CRD Dawg; 03-02-2010 at 06:48 AM..
CRD Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Dawg View Post
Is there a picture of the swirl motor? I assume it's certainly not visible from the outside. Thanks for any dumbed-down explanations you can give. A bit of a novice wrench turner here.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/w...9/#post5240765

I believe the swirl motor is in photo #3 of merlin's post.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
merlinTec

The oil leaking onto the motor from the intake pipe is the primary reason for it to fail however oil going into the intake can clog up the flaps as you can see in my pictures.
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

SQ & MerlinTec,

Thanks for the help. 2 more novice questions. What is the purpose of the Swirl motor exactly and what are those 6 flaps?
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
justa4banger
2007 WK 

RACOR or PROVENT FTMFW!!!!!!!!!

i got mine...do you?!
Unread 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa4banger View Post
RACOR or PROVENT FTMFW!!!!!!!!!

i got mine...do you?!
I got mine and the new tube/seal.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
fishinbama
2007 WK 

merlin can tell you better but the swirl motor aids efficient combustion. The flaps are part of it.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
merlinTec

Each cylinder incorporates one swirl port and one charge port. The swirl ports can be closed by the swirl flaps (seen in my pics) In the lower engine speed and load range, the swirl flaps are closed by the swirl valve actuator. The entire air mass flows through the charge ports only, which results in greater swirling (hence the name). The increased swirling produces uniform combustion for better engine performance and reduction of particulates. As rotational speed and load increases, the swirl valves open, so that optimal swirling and the required air mass are provided for the current operating conditions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.