WK CRD oil leaking near end of intake pipe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK CRD oil leaking near end of intake pipe

UCF Memorial Day Savings... Save 15% today!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 05-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
plunix
2008 WK 

WK CRD oil leaking near end of intake pipe

It looks like my CRD has the pipe with the orange seal and leaking.

Do I need to do anything else while replacing with the revised intake pipe, or just swap it out?

tmp_29071-20150504_164059-349595127.jpg  

Last edited by plunix; 05-04-2015 at 04:02 PM..
plunix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
mushkasdad
2008 WK 

Orange seal = junk. new black seal = good.
Coming from mist in crankcase= good.
mushkasdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
BAH101
2008 WK 

And a GDE tune...just because ya gotta have it
Unread 05-05-2015, 12:25 AM   #4
Morphine

I made this one ...

Morphine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 05:52 AM   #5
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Plunix - the short answer is No, you don't NEED to do anything other than replace the orange seal intake pipe with the new black seal version. I'd suggest cleaning up the oil that's blown past the old orange seal (that's the stuff that can pooch your swirl motor), but that's about it. Some guys do the Elephant Hose mod or a Catch Can to remove/reduce the amount of CCV oil entering the turbo intake; others leave it alone on the theory that Mercedes made the engine with the CCV blowby in mind. Getting into that discussion is a lot like arguing Ford vs Chevy, and there's LOTS of discussion on the forum if you want to read through the various arguments.

A lot of CRD owners also use & recommend the Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) Eco and Hot tunes, as they shut off the EGR valve and swirl motor among other things, thus eliminating the CCV oil blowby into the turbo and the risk of swirl motor failure at source. They also have the nice added benefits of added power (Hp and torque) and better fuel economy. Not cheap, though, which is why some guys go with catch cans, EHM, etc.

The extent of mods you choose to undertake thus becomes a personal choice based on your budget, willingness to turn a wrench and the individual engine characteristics of your CRD (some suffer more CCV blowby than others, etc). Climate can also factor in, as there are reports of owners in northern climates with cold winters having trouble with condensation freezing in their Elephant Hoses.

Of course, if your vehicle is still under any factory warranty, I wouldn't be getting too mod-happy, as Chrysler is still on the hook for at least a portion of any repairs. Not many of us left in that particular boat though.
Unread 05-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
plunix
2008 WK 

Canuck, I didnt think the GDE tune did anything in regards to the CCV functionality, just the EGR. Am I wrong?

I do have the GDE Hot Tune as of a few days ago. Just catching up on all the mods I :need: to do in addition to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08CanuckCRD View Post
Plunix - the short answer is No, you don't NEED to do anything other than replace the orange seal intake pipe with the new black seal version. I'd suggest cleaning up the oil that's blown past the old orange seal (that's the stuff that can pooch your swirl motor), but that's about it. Some guys do the Elephant Hose mod or a Catch Can to remove/reduce the amount of CCV oil entering the turbo intake; others leave it alone on the theory that Mercedes made the engine with the CCV blowby in mind. Getting into that discussion is a lot like arguing Ford vs Chevy, and there's LOTS of discussion on the forum if you want to read through the various arguments.

A lot of CRD owners also use & recommend the Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) Eco and Hot tunes, as they shut off the EGR valve and swirl motor among other things, thus eliminating the CCV oil blowby into the turbo and the risk of swirl motor failure at source. They also have the nice added benefits of added power (Hp and torque) and better fuel economy. Not cheap, though, which is why some guys go with catch cans, EHM, etc.

The extent of mods you choose to undertake thus becomes a personal choice based on your budget, willingness to turn a wrench and the individual engine characteristics of your CRD (some suffer more CCV blowby than others, etc). Climate can also factor in, as there are reports of owners in northern climates with cold winters having trouble with condensation freezing in their Elephant Hoses.

Of course, if your vehicle is still under any factory warranty, I wouldn't be getting too mod-happy, as Chrysler is still on the hook for at least a portion of any repairs. Not many of us left in that particular boat though.
Unread 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
plunix
2008 WK 

This looks difficult to make without the proper tools. Do you have a DIY write up of how you did this? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphine View Post
I made this one ...

Unread 05-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunix View Post
Canuck, I didnt think the GDE tune did anything in regards to the CCV functionality, just the EGR. Am I wrong?

I do have the GDE Hot Tune as of a few days ago. Just catching up on all the mods I :need: to do in addition to it.
Sorry - you are correct. The GDE tune shuts off the EGR function, which stops the mist of oil blowby from entering the turbo intake. This is the oil that leaks around the orange seal, drips down and eventually pooches the swirl motor on these engines.
Unread 05-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
davids0865
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunix View Post
This looks difficult to make without the proper tools. Do you have a DIY write up of how you did this? Thanks.
I'm really interested too, did you cut down an existing silicon hose application?
davids0865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 07:26 AM   #10
plunix
2008 WK 

It looks like he might've used the existing pipe and simply added his own rubber pipe where the seal exists. I'm going to buy the revised part instead. My dad has a shop that can get what sounds like 33% cheaper factory parts. I'll pay around 100 vs the 150 asking price (Canadian funds).
Unread 05-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
davids0865
2005 WK 

I'm sure you're right and as I have been asked for £170 for the new part, a silicone hose mod would be really useful as the basic pipe is fine with just the seal leaking and if that's a standard hose that has been modded it could be a lot cheaper and even looks good!
davids0865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
TangoTango
2008 WK 

That looks like the orange seal and plastic hose was cut off with a saw; and then that Lowe's type hose clamped on with some marine hose clamps (NCX 68 75 ?). That is a similar hose to what omlette used on his modified safari snorkle.

That hose is not round, it more oval so I'd be surprised if it didn't leak as the marine hose clamp is round.

One is better off just using the black replacement part.
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #13
plunix
2008 WK 

I actually disconnected my air cleaner tube and cleaned up my orange seal today and tightened it more. It seems to be in good shape, if not slightly heat warped. Ill keep an eye on it for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.