WK CRD fan solenoid - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 09-10-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Timberwlf
2008 WK 

WK CRD fan solenoid

I'm having troubles locating a fan solenoid and am being told I will have to by the whole assembly. It has the 3 pin solenoid and I've confirmed motor itself is good and solenoid is getting power, it just isn't opening and letting it run at speed. This has already caused me to blow the seals out of an AC compressor. It would be nice to pay a couple hundred as opposed to $750 to get it fixed. If anyone has any part numbers or leads, it would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I have not been able to find a part number for the solenoid, but I think there must be on because I found a procedure for changing it. Keep in mind that the hydraulic fan is not a simple On/Off fan... it runs at incremental speeds. My scanner show 8 speeds.... whether there are more I don't know. Also, the fan is always supposed to run when the engine is at an idle albeit at a slow speed 100-500 rpm.

Here is the procedure from the 08 service manual

SOLENOID-RADIATOR FAN
REMOVAL
NOTE: If the solenoid removal and replacement
steps are performed quickly, then only a small
amount of steering fluid will drip from the radiator
fan solenoid opening. The small amount of leak-
age should not require prior fluid removal from the
power steering reservoir.
1.Disconnect the battery negative cable.
2. Raise and support the vehicle.
3. Disconnect the radiator fan solenoid connector (3).
4. Clean the area around the radiator fan solenoid (1)
of any debris.
5. While holding the solenoid body, use Torxா T40 to
remove the radiator fan solenoid.

INSTALLATION
CAUTION: If for any reason the hydraulic fan mod-
ule ground wire is removed from the hydraulic fan
module, reconnect the ground wire and tighten-
mounting nut to 10 Nm (89 in. lbs.). Failure to
ensure the ground wire is properly connected
could result in an electrostatic discahrge that
could damage the PCM.
1. Make sure that the two o-rings are in place. Notice
that the armature of the solenoid can rotate within
the body of the solenoid.
2. Install the radiator fan solenoid (1) into the hydrau-
lic fan module (4).
3. While holding the solenoid body, using a Torxா T40
tighten the radiator fan solenoid screw (2) to 16
Nm (143 in. lbs.).
4. Connect the radiator fan solenoid connector (3).
5. Lower the vehicle
6. Connect the negative battery cable.
7. Check the power steering fluid level, fill as necessary.

Sorry it didn't paste very good.
Ignore first picture below....I could not figure out how to delete it.
Attached Images

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #3 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Timberwlf
2008 WK 

Chirpz, I appreciate that. Unfortunately, I think that is for the gas vehicles. Mine is a 3 wire solenoid and does not have a Torx screw on it. Mine looks similar to this one listed for the 5.7L listed here http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...5143201AA.html

I may just try ordering this solenoid and seeing if it works. I called a few dealerships and they all tell me that same thing that it only lists the whole assemble for the diesel. Almost seems like a joke that a bunk $20 part causes you to buy a $1000 assembly. I've tested everything and my hydro motor is fine and voltage is working as it should.

post #4 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 08:17 AM
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

That is the proper one.I just used that 05143201AA on my diesel.Now the fan ramps up like it is supposed to.Last fall the part was $89.00.When I bought mine this summer the price went up to $348.00 in Canada.I looked it up on Mopar USA and it was 168.00.
post #5 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwlf View Post
Chirpz, I appreciate that. Unfortunately, I think that is for the gas vehicles. Mine is a 3 wire solenoid and does not have a Torx screw on it. Mine looks similar to this one listed for the 5.7L listed here http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...5143201AA.html

I may just try ordering this solenoid and seeing if it works. I called a few dealerships and they all tell me that same thing that it only lists the whole assemble for the diesel. Almost seems like a joke that a bunk $20 part causes you to buy a $1000 assembly. I've tested everything and my hydro motor is fine and voltage is working as it should.
I got that info from the 08 repair manual and it was listed under the diesel engine. Of course that does not mean that it could not be wrong. I didn't actually go look at my 07 fan to check it out. The pictures listed for the diesel and the 5.7 gasser look exactly the same.

My fan has a little quirk... when it reaches 100% speed, it howls pretty loud. It has always done that. The howling was a mystery to me until one day I was experimenting with my scanner and noticed that I could test the fan on 8 different level...sure enough when it reached 100% it howled. I first noticed it around 12,000 miles...now I have 124,000 miles and it still howls.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #6 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Timberwlf
2008 WK 

You guys are awesome. Literally saving me hundreds of $$ on this thing. I've had some pretty bad luck with this one so far and the dealer has more than obliged to rape me at any point possible. This eases the pain a little bit. Got the solenoid ordered.

fatfreddy, how did you remove this one? Is there in fact a T40 that holds it in that I'm not seeing? It looked to me like I would have to grind down a wrench to get in and unscrew it out.
post #7 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 08:19 PM
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Mine didn't have the torx.To get it off pry the electrical part off then you can use an ordinary wrench to take it off.When I got the new solenoid it came in 2 pieces.You screw the one piece in then slide the electrical coil on.
post #8 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 11:04 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Good info here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 33 Old 09-12-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Timberwlf
2008 WK 

It all makes sense after looking at it again. I can move the coil on the stainless stud. Will try to get pics when mine gets in. Through all of this experience, this just makes me more frustrated with jeep. The fact that I called 3 different dealers total and they all told me the same thing, you have to replace the whole assembly. When in reality, Jeep needs to fix the way they list their parts so this is sold as a service part. Glad we have this forum to convey that information.

After I get this fixed, it's on to rebuilding the clutch pack in the transfer case since apparently it's perfectly normal for that POS to be toast in 100K...
post #10 of 33 Old 09-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I had to go to the dealer today to buy some Power steering fluid ($26.00/quart.) While there I asked if they would sell me a solenoid for the fan...ha ha. I got the same story. Must buy the whole unit. Then he quoted me a price that was over $1000.00. I told him that that would dampen our relationship. Thankfully, I don't need one right now, but I had to ask.

I could have bought the fluid online for $16 but I would have to wait and with shipping, it came to $26 anyway.

Chirpz
post #11 of 33 Old 09-13-2016, 05:04 PM
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

when i went to buy power steering fluid the guy tried to sell me the $9 normal stuff not the hydraulic stuff...good thing i caught it

2008 CRD // GDE Eco // DPF delete // 3" intercooler // OME HD // 265 dirtytracs etc.
post #12 of 33 Old 09-13-2016, 05:14 PM
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwlf View Post
It all makes sense after looking at it again. I can move the coil on the stainless stud. Will try to get pics when mine gets in. Through all of this experience, this just makes me more frustrated with jeep. The fact that I called 3 different dealers total and they all told me the same thing, you have to replace the whole assembly. When in reality, Jeep needs to fix the way they list their parts so this is sold as a service part. Glad we have this forum to convey that information.

After I get this fixed, it's on to rebuilding the clutch pack in the transfer case since apparently it's perfectly normal for that POS to be toast in 100K...
any chance you could take a pic of the solenoid so i know what im looking at when i climb under there

maybe mines just caked in mud from offroading all the time

2008 CRD // GDE Eco // DPF delete // 3" intercooler // OME HD // 265 dirtytracs etc.
post #13 of 33 Old 09-14-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Timberwlf
2008 WK 

Will do. I plan on getting pics when I actually do this. Right now waiting on the solenoid from an online vendor. Luckily my jeep is driven by the wife and kept spotless. In order to see it, you have to remove the small air dam then lay on your back and look up at the fan motor. It will be right there on the right side.
post #14 of 33 Old 09-14-2016, 05:06 PM
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

yea i think i know the one, i was playing around with it last time i tried to see whats up

could i slide the connector part off the pin and clean it and slide it back on without actually unscrewing the solenoid from the fan???

post #15 of 33 Old 09-14-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Timberwlf
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
yea i think i know the one, i was playing around with it last time i tried to see whats up

could i slide the connector part off the pin and clean it and slide it back on without actually unscrewing the solenoid from the fan???
Ha, an odd question, but technically yes. The part consists of the coil (where the electrical plug goes into) and the body that is actually screwed into the fan. All this is doing is using electromagnetism to open the valve. Hoping mine comes in soon and I can get it done and get pics up
TurboDiesel likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.