WK CRD Exhaust Upgrade - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK CRD Exhaust Upgrade

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #31
ctate
2007 WK 

lol, I hear that. These motors would perform much better without all the restriction in the exhaust. They already took our diesel fuel from 550ppm to 15ppm; why the dpf with sulfer in the fuel so low now.

I have seen that resonator but didnt know what it was. If you figure anything out, let me know. What is this brabus tuning kit you speak of?

ctate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #32
Mish_Mish

2008 WK 

http://www.worldcarfans.com/7050818....erformance-kit
Unread 11-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #33
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctate View Post
lol, I hear that. These motors would perform much better without all the restriction in the exhaust. They already took our diesel fuel from 550ppm to 15ppm; why the dpf with sulfer in the fuel so low now.

I have seen that resonator but didnt know what it was. If you figure anything out, let me know. What is this brabus tuning kit you speak of?
The dpf is so this vehicle would pass 46 or whatever number of states emissions. This vehicle still cannot be sold in some of the northeast US states and as well as California without the urea injection system that Mercedes now have.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold

Last edited by TonyVideo; 11-29-2008 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #34
ctate
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish_Mish View Post
Is the brabus a computer chip that plugs into the common rail like the others? How much is it and how do you order it?
Unread 11-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #35
Mish_Mish

2008 WK 

Quote:
Is the brabus a computer chip that plugs into the common rail like the others? How much is it and how do you order it?

Brabus plugs into 5 different places, unlike common chips.
I am not sure where to get it, I got mine on ebay from some private seller in UK.
Unread 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #36
Rocketron
2008 WK 

Quote:
Boost resonator is that plastic, kidney shaped sack infront of the engine block. Turbo outlet pipe goes to it on one end and intercooler duct on the other. It has some muffler like thingies in it that keep noise down by producing muffler like effect. This is my understanding on the subject.
I recon if I can opne it and get all the obstructing objects out, that would help a little.
It bothers me to feel such sluggish takeoff when I possess one of the most advanced diesel engines with brabus tuning kit. I'd understand all the restrictions if I lived in Denmark, or some other gay place when they sniff up my tail pipe every 6 months, but not in O-hi-o
Thanks for the info. How is the brabus tuning kit working out? Would like more info on it if possible.

Thanks.
Rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #37
Mish_Mish

2008 WK 

It is working fine, however I am not monitoring all the numbers like some of our more advanced members here.
Never had a check engine light come on, or any other issues. Last time took my GC for service at the dealership, did not even take it off, they do not notice it.
Overall, take off is quicker and freeway power is way up, it acts like gas car with turbo on the freeway. Average MPG is 20-21, half city, half freeway.
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #38
Rocketron
2008 WK 

Quote:
It is working fine, however I am not monitoring all the numbers like some of our more advanced members here.
Never had a check engine light come on, or any other issues. Last time took my GC for service at the dealership, did not even take it off, they do not notice it.
Overall, take off is quicker and freeway power is way up, it acts like gas car with turbo on the freeway. Average MPG is 20-21, half city, half freeway.
I am getting ready to take mine in for oil change and to get checked out. I have the MBRP dpf back exhaust, CR Plus tuning module, and aem cone filter. I was getting around 15.5 mg with everything on. Took off aem cone filter and CR Plus module and am now getting 15.2. Do not understand the low milage. Any suggestions besides taking into dealership??? Just a note, I also have a Tereflex 2" lift with Ultra wheels and 265/70/17 tires. I can understand maybe a little less milage with bigger tires, but not like what I am getting. Most of my driving has been in city driving, but not with heavy foot. I now have about 16,000 miles on it.

How much did you pay for Brabus module? and does same guy still sell them on internet?

I was looking at Diesel Power magazine and saw an add for Mercedes Benz Performance Module from TS Performance. I called them and they will have one for the Jeep CRD in a month or two. But it sounds like it plugs in one place same as CR Plus does and they think price will be about $600 to $700. Don't know if it will be any better than CR Plus.

I will let everyone know what Jeep Dealership says about low milage after serviceing. Does anyone else get this bad of milage in city? Or is this about normal with no freeway/highway driving?

Thanks
Unread 01-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #39
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

I could be mistaken but using the CR Plus the on board computer eventually evens things back out so the end result is no gain in performance. I know the Brabus is a better way to go. Maybe TS Performance has gotten around the on board computer.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #40
ctate
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketron View Post
I am getting ready to take mine in for oil change and to get checked out. I have the MBRP dpf back exhaust, CR Plus tuning module, and aem cone filter. I was getting around 15.5 mg with everything on. Took off aem cone filter and CR Plus module and am now getting 15.2. Do not understand the low milage. Any suggestions besides taking into dealership??? Just a note, I also have a Tereflex 2" lift with Ultra wheels and 265/70/17 tires. I can understand maybe a little less milage with bigger tires, but not like what I am getting. Most of my driving has been in city driving, but not with heavy foot. I now have about 16,000 miles on it.

How much did you pay for Brabus module? and does same guy still sell them on internet?

I was looking at Diesel Power magazine and saw an add for Mercedes Benz Performance Module from TS Performance. I called them and they will have one for the Jeep CRD in a month or two. But it sounds like it plugs in one place same as CR Plus does and they think price will be about $600 to $700. Don't know if it will be any better than CR Plus.

I will let everyone know what Jeep Dealership says about low milage after serviceing. Does anyone else get this bad of milage in city? Or is this about normal with no freeway/highway driving?

Thanks

I dont think the tires are why your fuel mileage is that poor. The tires might contribute a little to less mpg. I have a revtech 2.25 in lift with P265/70r17 tires. How much do your tires weigh? I use to have the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ LT265/70r17. Each tires weighed 54lbs plus they were M/T's, which kill your fuel mileage...I was getting about 17.5mpg with those tires. Now, I have the Yokohama Geolander A/T's which only weigh 40lbs a tires and I'm getting any where from 20-21 mpg mixed driving.

You might want to make sure you tuner is not clogging you DPF. I had the Digi CR and my milage was poor. Took the WK to a diesel shop and they said that the tuner I had on was clogging the DPF, which caused the motor to work harder and used more fuel to keep the DPF clean. I now have the Spider tuner on and havent had that problem. You might want to take the tuner off and see what happens to you fuel economy. That DPF must come off!
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #41
Rocketron
2008 WK 

Quote:
I dont think the tires are why your fuel mileage is that poor. The tires might contribute a little to less mpg. I have a revtech 2.25 in lift with P265/70r17 tires. How much do your tires weigh? I use to have the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ LT265/70r17. Each tires weighed 54lbs plus they were M/T's, which kill your fuel mileage...I was getting about 17.5mpg with those tires. Now, I have the Yokohama Geolander A/T's which only weigh 40lbs a tires and I'm getting any where from 20-21 mpg mixed driving.

You might want to make sure you tuner is not clogging you DPF. I had the Digi CR and my milage was poor. Took the WK to a diesel shop and they said that the tuner I had on was clogging the DPF, which caused the motor to work harder and used more fuel to keep the DPF clean. I now have the Spider tuner on and havent had that problem. You might want to take the tuner off and see what happens to you fuel economy. That DPF must come off!

Thanks, I have Toyo Open Country AT 265/70/17 tires, checked them out on the internet and it looks like they weigh 39 lbs each. I will find out in a day or two when I take it to the dealer if the DPF is getting clogged up or not. How do you like your "spider" tuning module? How much was it and where did you get it? Milage and power? Thanks again for the imput...
Unread 01-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #42
Mish_Mish

2008 WK 

I never got anything below 19mpg, but on average I get 20.
Has anyone removed DPF yet and if yes, do any check engine lights come on? What is overall performance with no DPF?
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #43
ctate
2007 WK 

Rocketron, I like the Spider alot. I can really feel the diffrence when I tow. I got it from dieseltuning.co.uk/select.html (look under Chrysler) I think I paid $850 for it. The mileage is better. Dieseltuning said that this tuner will not clog the DPF, which it hasen't so I'm getting around the area of 21.5 city/mixed driving and around 25 hwy and thats with the 265/70r17. The Dyno on the tuner was 270hp and 487ft lb of torque.

Mish Mish, I dont think anyone has tried to remove the DPF on our WK's yet....I searched around diesel performance places with no luck. Badptrucks.com said that they would make a DPF delete kit but they need the vehicle to do it. I called elitediesel.com and they said that a kit may be coming soon. ATS diesel has come out with a "highflow" DPF for the big 3 which is supposed to have great gains. I know a guy at ATS so I'm going to talk to him about using my WK as a guinea pig so they will make one for us.
Unread 01-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #44
reprobate
2008 WK 

this is next!

I am for sure interested in this! I have yet to get better than 20.7 mpg in mine.
As soon as Offroad Unlimited in Houston finishes with my ARB winch bumper that is next.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #45
ctate
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate View Post
I am for sure interested in this! I have yet to get better than 20.7 mpg in mine.
As soon as Offroad Unlimited in Houston finishes with my ARB winch bumper that is next.
You live in Huston? You should take your WK to Badptrucks.com.... I just got off of the phone with ATS Diesel and they said the "Highflow" DPF's for the big three are coming out around summer. They said that they are working out the kinks with the EPA. The Highflow DPF's are twice the size of stock DPF's and flow much more air accorind to ATS. ATS said that the tests resulted in huge gains in terms of torque and HP. Mileage gains went any where from 5-8mpg. I asked them about our Jeeps and they said they will diffienately make one for the WK...might be after summer though. How many of you guys would be interested in these?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.