WK CRD Exhaust Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK CRD Exhaust Upgrade

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
WKDiesel56
2012 WK 

WK CRD Exhaust Upgrade

I had been contemplating the MBRP DPF-back exhaust system for my CRD. I drove my CRD to Northern California this week (2000 miles) and stopped at Johnny Franklin's muffler in Santa Rosa, CA since they are an MBRP dealer. When we saw the actual kit we decided to experiment first by having the resonator in the back of the Jeep cut off ($29) and a chrome tip installed ($75) and see how that would do. The resonator which was removed was spotless, no residue.

I am headed back to Houston, Texas and have already achieved a 3 mpg improvement. I averaged 20 mpg on the way to California with the cruise control set at 80. I am currently getting 23 mpg headed down I-5 with the cruise control set at the same. There is absolutely NO noticeable difference in sound in the interior. The Jeep seems to get up and go a little faster from a stop but other than that there is not much difference in performance other than increase in miles per gallon. Everything else in this Jeep is completely stock and no other work has ever been done. The Jeep has a little over 25k miles.

View the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uKtaF4P05I

WKDiesel56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

my only guess with the increase in MPG is that you may have reduced the back pressure a little. I'd like to see how this pans out for you over the next couple of tanks of gas. I haven't really looked at the exhaust too much lately so I don't know how restrictive it is.
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
tcmglx

Signed up, lets measure a few tanks, but I am interested!
Unread 11-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
WKDiesel56
2012 WK 

After several days of driving down the I-5 in California and across I-10 burning through 5 tanks of fuel I have gained a maximum of 3mpg and an average of 2mpg over the entire trip. This has already paid for itself and I am pleased with the results.
Unread 11-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
basthen
2007 WK 

Wow, good stuff!

I'll be doing that too. I really like the look off that dual tip exhaust.
basthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
tcmglx

Louder at all?
Unread 11-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
WKDiesel56
2012 WK 

It is not any louder than it was before. There is no difference inside the car. You can hear the turbo a little more outside the car but it is still very slight.
Unread 11-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Thanks for the info on the resonater.I didn't want to take mine off for the fear of noise.After reading about no more noisier,I took mine off last weekend.Did the test route I use when I change something and gained 3.9 mpg,which ended up at 33.9 mpg cruisng at 70 mph.And wasn't any noisier.Next trick is to take the resonater out between the tubo and intercooler.A body took his off his Dodge Cummins and it gave him 10 more horse power to the grond ccording to the dyno.Can't wait to see the affects of this next cunning plan.
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
Tuco
2007 WK 

Im pretty sure its just a straight pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. Its hard to believe replacing the resonator with straight pipe would make such a big diff in mpg, but it sounds like an easy thing to do so worth giving a try. Where do you get that Y fitting? Is there any dimensions I need to know about or do I just cut the the pipe and take it to the local muffler shop?
Unread 11-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
WKDiesel56
2012 WK 

There is no "y" fitting, it is just a chrome tip with dual outlet. It is nothing special, any muffler shop should carry these.
Unread 11-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
no-blue-screen
2008 WK 

Nice! I have two thoughts in mind. Dual side outlet or possibly a 4" or 5" if it will fit single pipe side outlet. Don't know when I will have the extra cash though...the wife has other items in mind and they aren't for my jeep

CRD TURBO SEAL OIL LEAK FIX
WK CRD - EGR CLEANING WRITE-UP
MY FUEL ECONOMY DATABASE
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 05:01 AM   #12
WKDiesel56
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfreddy View Post
After reading about no more noisier,I took mine off last weekend.Did the test route I use when I change something and gained 3.9 mpg,which ended up at 33.9 mpg cruisng at 70 mph.
fatfreddy: Is this miles or km?
Unread 11-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

33.9 miles per gallon at 70 miles per hour.The resonater is the black goofy looking piece of plastic right down in front of the motor.Fallow the metal pipe from boost side of the turbo.It does a 90 degree turn down and hooks to the black plastic resonater.At least that's what Benz calls it.There is a good picture of it and a cut away diagram of the 3.0 on Wolfgang's ML page in the diesel section.Just Google " Woolfgang's ML Page "
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfreddy View Post
33.9 miles per gallon at 70 miles per hour.The resonater is the black goofy looking piece of plastic right down in front of the motor.Fallow the metal pipe from boost side of the turbo.It does a 90 degree turn down and hooks to the black plastic resonater.At least that's what Benz calls it.There is a good picture of it and a cut away diagram of the 3.0 on Wolfgang's ML page in the diesel section.Just Google " Woolfgang's ML Page "
can you post the direct link, that page is loaded with good stuff...and I can't seem to locate exactly what you've referenced (actually I keep getting distracted looking at all the cool stuff).

the ML was rated at 27 highway so that is a big improvement. According to the page, the jeep was road tested at 24 mpg...so if we can improve to 27-28 mpg that would be fantastic. But I do suspect that our 5 speed with 3.73s don't help.
Unread 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
no-blue-screen
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniebravo View Post
can you post the direct link, that page is loaded with good stuff...and I can't seem to locate exactly what you've referenced (actually I keep getting distracted looking at all the cool stuff).

Great page....but a lot of the stuff in the diesel news section is outdated.

CRD TURBO SEAL OIL LEAK FIX
WK CRD - EGR CLEANING WRITE-UP
MY FUEL ECONOMY DATABASE
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.