WK CRD driveline vibration - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK CRD driveline vibration

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #46
MBDiesel
2014 WK 

Not on the WK.

The driveline shop called the other day to say that they can't reliably replace the U-joints on the OEM shaft. They have the capability to do R&R's like that but the design of the yokes on the OEM unit makes it hard for them to do a job they're comfortable with sending out the door. Their solution is a new steel shaft with serviceable joints for about $500. A lot less than another non-serviceable POS from the dealer.

Just have to get them a measurement and it'll be on its way. Time to drive it on the front shaft into the garage in 4-lo

MBDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #47
jediknight
2008 WK 

All right !!!

Update on my side !

I just installed my set of winter tires (they're on a seperate set of steal rims).

...and guess what ?? Noise / clocking noise / vibration is gonne !!!

WTF
Unread 01-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #48
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojomoto View Post
I have a shaking issue but its very intermittent. Seems to happen most during towing or shortly after towing. Normally if I stop the car and restart driving (I don't turn the engine off) it goes away. It kind of seems like something starts it shaking and it just cant stop on it own unless I come to a complete stop?
OK, this is exactly what I have been experiencing. It has been occurring for years, but it's so intermittent that until that dealership dude walked in on my drive shaft diagnosis, there was no hope of showing the problem to anyone at Jeep. As a result, I did get them to replace the rear drive shaft and had hoped the problem was solved, but no such luck. One night a few weeks later, while simply driving home at night, it occurred again. The new drive shaft just seems to have altered the circumstances under which the condition is excited.

I now have the opinion that the bad u-joints that we're seeing aren't causing the vibration to occur; they're being caused by whatever actually is causing the vibration which is, I think, something further up stream than the u-joints. My buddy was working on another wk (v6 gasser) with vibration issues and got someone at Jeep to tear into it. They never really did solve that problem...a transmission shop ultimately diagnosed the issue as a chattering torque converter lock-up clutch which was continually vibrating on and off with a frequency similar to a telephone ringing (vibrate...smooth...vibrate...smooth, etc., the whole time the car was being driven). This was not the same issue that I've (we've?) been seeing, but in the process of Jeep's tear-down, they also discovered a loose/partially chewed splined coupling between the transmission and the transfer case. They repaired the coupling and associated parts...and then decided that they were done working on the vehicle. Needless to say, that car still has its torque converter issues, but it started me thinking that perhaps there is a near-blanket issue of this sort (loose coupling buried between the transmission and TC) that, once it's excited into vibration mode (by road surface variations, etc.), manifests itself at the mechanical resonant frequency of the rest of the drive train. The resulting vibration, at least on my car, is certainly violent enough to cause u-joint damage like that which we are seeing. This could explain why some folks are going through multiple drive shaft replacements...the u-joints aren't causing the problem, they're being ruined by the problem. Food for thought...

The (not so) funny part: as I'm writing this, I'm preparing to go to my Jeep dealer to pick up my WK. It's been there for week now on its second swirl-motor/intake-flap repair in a little over a year, and there is still no end in sight on the vibration issue. This WK has to be the most unreliable new vehicle purchase that I've ever made, and that's really saying something as I bought a couple of new FIATs back in the early 70s, and they were everything you've ever heard about...and less!
Unread 01-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #49
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

A vibration isn't a reliability issue jut an inconvenience
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #50
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeslinger31 View Post
A vibration isn't a reliability issue jut an inconvenience
I have to disagree. A vibration that is so bad that the entire vehicle feels and sounds as though it's about to explode will cause anybody to stop that vehicle right where it is...and any vehicle that is necessarily motionless due to a problem is plainly unreliable. Keep in mind that this problem can occur anywhere, at any time...that makes the car unreliable. You can't possibly appreciate the magnitude of the vibration being discussed here if you haven't experienced it for yourself.

This problem is not like the whole Windows deal with computers. If you have a Windows-based computer, you don't really think too much about having to reboot it every now and then because it's "jut an inconvenience", but if your Jeep suddenly, without warning, sounds and feels as though it's about to kill you and your passengers, it's a whole different ball game. This isn't your AC failing to blow cold enough, it's something that causes you to stop your car right now, and jigger around with the transmission (Park, Reverse, Drive, etc.) in the hope that something (anything) will alleviate the problem. Sometimes it works and you can continue on until the problem occurs again, and sometimes it doesn't work and you get to drive all the way home at about 5 mph. That is a reliability issue...
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #51
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dzlwk View Post
The (not so) funny part: as I'm writing this, I'm preparing to go to my Jeep dealer to pick up my WK. It's been there for week now on its second swirl-motor/intake-flap repair in a little over a year, and there is still no end in sight on the vibration issue. This WK has to be the most unreliable new vehicle purchase that I've ever made, and that's really saying something as I bought a couple of new FIATs back in the early 70s, and they were everything you've ever heard about...and less!
A .05 resistor and 10 mins will take care of the swirl motor problem forever and won't affect driveability.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #52
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
...I just installed my set of winter tires (they're on a seperate set of steal rims)...
Brief off-topic here: I sure wish I could have found a set of steal rims; I looked (I thought) everywhere. My 17" chrome-clads had been slow leaking for years, until finally, while we were doing my brake job, my friend dismounted all of my tires and cleaned the rim bead areas with a soft disk on his disk grinder. When he was done they looked like new. He brushed on some bead sealer before remounting the tires and they've been good ever since. I can't help but wonder, though, for how long? You know how relatively-unprotected aluminum will probably react to our salty winter climate.

Sorry...back to our vibration issue. I guess my next step is to try to have my dealer check out/replace my front drive shaft. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky like some others on here and it will, at least temporarily, solve my vibe issue...
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #53
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje View Post
A .05 resistor and 10 mins will take care of the swirl motor problem forever and won't affect driveability.
Sorry again for another "off-topic"...I had a fairly lengthy post on another thread concerning my personal reasons for not wanting to disable any of my emission controls. Suffice to say that I won't go down that road...
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #54
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dzlwk View Post
Sorry again for another "off-topic"...I had a fairly lengthy post on another thread concerning my personal reasons for not wanting to disable any of my emission controls. Suffice to say that I won't go down that road...
understood, there are some strong opinions both ways.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #55
Xmind
2007 WK 

This issue just showed up on my jeep within the last month. Decelerating over 40 mph I can feel a vibration on the pedal and floor boards. The sound is very feint at the moment. I was already getting myself built up to tear the trans apart to fix my trans slip issue, but now sucks that it sounds like I might have to replace some driveshafts while I'm at it ....
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #56
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

Sorry to re-resurrect an old thread, but I have another update. My usual dealership (in the south Milwaukee area) finally threw up his hands on this issue when he claimed that he couldn't detect my intermittent vibration. With my extended warranty nearing the end of its life, I found a dealer in Kenosha who was willing to throw time and parts at it until the problem was solved. It was the same dealer who replaced the rear drive shaft for me. In the final week of my extended warranty (late June) I brought him the car and he replaced my front drive shaft (actually, after my extended warranty expired, as the part was on back order, but they kept the repair ticket open while waiting for the part so the warranty did pick up the cost). That was in late July. I haven't had any actual vibration since having both drive shafts replaced, though I still experience a noise at highway speed that I used to associate with the vibration. This is the best that I'm going to achieve with this (my last) Jeep.

My impression with the CRD WK is this: they expected low sales numbers with this combination, and just didn't dedicate enough drive train development time/money to the project as a result. There were (are!) far too many people having vibration issues to say that it is statistically normal. The car only accounted for 2% of WK sales in '07, and probably less in '08...yet look at the number of people here who are having vibration issues, forgetting all of those who never even found their way here. Before I started having all of the various troubles that I've had with my car, my only complaint would have been that it desperately needed at least another two gears in the transmission for the diesel to be truly happy. And now they've finally done that with the new GC diesel, but considering the soured experience that I've had with this one, I'd never try another...Italian or not. And, after all of my engine-related issues, I wouldn't have a Mercedes either...
Unread 08-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #57
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

This issue was true regardless of engine. I had issues with mine on a 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #58
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

I had forgotten that the vibration issue was WK-platform-wide, as the OP raised the issue because of problems with his CRD. My comments on both the WK and the CRD still stand, however...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.