JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   WK CRD driveline vibration (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/wk-crd-driveline-vibration-1553801/)

MBDiesel 07-26-2013 01:36 AM

WK CRD driveline vibration

I picked up a CRD a couple months ago and have noticed a slight driveline vibration. When I first got it there was a pretty bad wheel balance vibration that was caused by caked mud on the inside of the wheels. It began to chip off, throwing the wheel out of balance. A through pressure wash took care of that.

Now I'm feeling a higher frequency vibration from what seems to be the front. I'm leaning toward front driveshaft since the vibration frequency is three or so times the wheel vibration, which just about equals the axle ratio. I notice it between 40 and 50mph, then from about 62mph up. Frequency is dependent on speed.

Is it OK to disconnect the front driveshaft for testing? Do I need to do anything besides turning off traction control to prevent the ESP from freaking out?

Any ideas welcome...I'm new to the WK. Long time reader; lots of great info on here!

Huntndogs 07-26-2013 09:56 AM

Fighting a similar issue right now. Replacing front d shaft today. I will repost results. I do not believe my vibe is axle related and diff/trans seem to be fine. Take a close look at diff bushings also, I am told this may also cause a vibe but more likely a clunk when shifting between gears.

suzieque 07-26-2013 09:59 AM

I did a tire rotation/rebalance and my vibration seemed to go away.

Huntndogs 07-26-2013 07:11 PM

Well, new drv shaft did not fix vibe. Going To try the diff bushings next and have the rear shaft checked or balance. Anyone else have ideas? The vibe seems to go mostly away if you put the trans in neuteral.

twistedlizard72 07-27-2013 01:18 AM

Why do you think it is the front shaft and not the rear?

I do have a similar shake going on. Haven't been able to isolate which one its coming from. Noticed after my Superlift install, 110k miles on the Jeep and vibrates when under load at highway speeds. My hunch is that it is the rear u-joints going out. But, the front CV (t-case side) is leaking grease, so that could possibly be the issue, or another issue.

LJS8510 07-27-2013 06:40 AM

Did you try suzieque's suggestion?
Its so easy and cheap to do, I would at least rule it out before spending time and money on something else.

Huntndogs 07-27-2013 07:45 AM

I would think that could be the issue with the exception that at speed if you put the trans in N, the vibe all but stops. I would think a tire/wheel issue would continue to vibe...it is worth a try however since it is free.

I may mount my go pro camera under the car somewhere and try to catch video of the t case and drive shaft to see if the vibe shows up. It's pretty bad and gets worse the faster you go. I am determined to figure this out and get it fixed.

Thanks

MBDiesel 08-02-2013 01:44 PM

Mine doesn't care if I'm accelerating, decelerating, in neutral or drive. I haven't done a rotation yet; I'll give that a try to see if it changes anything. Still not completely convinced it's a tire problem since the vibration frequency seems way too high to be wheel rotation dependent. We'll see after I move the wheels around.

The dealer I had it to recently said the rear U joint was a little sticky but in their opinion nothing that should cause any problems.

Huntndogs 08-02-2013 06:00 PM

I might even call my vibration more like a shudder. It makes a noise also....

1dzlwk 08-09-2013 02:09 AM

While I'm sorry to hear about these troubles, I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who's had weird vibration problems. My '07 CRD has had an intermittent high-frequency vibration for years now, and I have never figured it out.

It began to occur about four years ago when I got a small, portable motorcycle trailer...one of those that can be disassembled and tossed into the back of the truck. It's called "Trailer-In-A-Bag" in fact. Basically, it's a crucifix made of 2" square tube with the wheels mounted directly onto the ends of the short arms...tube flex is the suspension system. I hooked it all up with my bike on it (about 800 lbs total) and took it for a test run around my area (Milwaukee, WI). I found that on certain stretches of road and at certain speeds (45-55 mph) that the whole rig would very gradually begin to vibrate, starting as almost nothing and gradually, slowly increasing in amplitude until the whole setup (Jeep and trailer) was vibrating like a huge tuning fork...in character, the vibration feels just like driving over the the most aggressive continuous chatter strips you could possibly imagine. Looking out the back window at the trailer, the tires/axles were actually blurred, they were vibrating so badly. At lower or higher speeds there was no problem. I tried all different combinations of tire pressures, etc. to no avail. Of course, I assumed that the trailer was at fault so I contacted the manufacturer and he bent over backwards trying to solve the problem...swapping parts, providing different tires, etc. Nothing worked in the end. Then I decided to take a trip out to the west end of South Dakota with it. I went fast/slow for quite a while and eventually noticed that, once I crossed the state line from Wisconsin into Minnesota, the problem disappeared! It was fine for the rest of the trip until crossing back into Wisconsin on the way home, when it started again. Somehow, the smoothness/flatness or whatever of the roads in my state just happens to excite the condition, whatever it is, that starts a cascade, or feedback event culminating in a vibration so bad that the whole truck feels like it is about to explode. Naturally, I quit using the trailer, and everything was fine...for a while.

Not long after that came time for a new set of tires, and since the OEM Goodyears had served so well, I went to them for the new set as well. The new tires were slightly less off-road oriented...I forget the model, but they run quieter. A while later, about a year and a half ago, I was driving along one day (no trailer) and the vibration started again, the same way, gradually building to an outrageous level...only now it no longer disappears when I slow down. It continues until I stop completely, and often resumes when I start again...unless I reverse briefly after stopping and then start forward again. Then it usually disappears. I agree with those here who say that the frequency of the vibration happens at drive shaft frequency, not tire frequency. And, I have to say that varying tire pressures, tire rotation, and even the new different type of tires, have had zero effect one way or the other.

Last week when I was replacing my exploded serpentine belt, I spent a little time just laying under the truck and looking at things. I'd never really noticed the whacky rear drive shaft before...it looks like the back half is made of aluminum and the front half is made of some kind of composite or plastic, etc. Then, there's some kind of odd-ball flywheel thingy at the front end of it...and that "flywheel" is the single most rusty part on the entire truck, by far. We're talking you touch it and big chips and flakes of rust fall off of it. I've never seen its like before. I started wondering if maybe it's one of those dual-mass deals that might be there to quell vibration because of the diesel or something like that. If it is a dual-mass device, I wonder if it has somehow developed some excess slop under certain loads that might let it get out of alignment a bit and cause the vibration. Or, what if the rust has caused enough of the parent metal to shed from it that it's now been thrown out of balance...though that would cause vibration every time it turns, which doesn't seem to be the case. What about a bad transfer case mount? You can see that I've been running around in circles with this for quite a while now. Sorry to drone on about it...I was just hoping my story, along with the others, might cause a light bulb to click on with somebody who could explain this, or at least start us looking in the right direction. This thing really has me stumped... :brickwall

Huntndogs 08-09-2013 07:44 AM

I feel your pain and am just as stumped...

resoof 08-10-2013 08:04 PM

I am having the same problem currently. Lucky for me I got an extended warranty when I bought my 05 WK. it is currently at the local jeep dealer and they are stumped as well. As of yesturday they are brining in a Chrysler engineer to look at it. I will let you know what they find out.

Huntndogs 08-10-2013 10:51 PM

Please do..

LJS8510 08-12-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resoof (Post 15779811)
I am having the same problem currently. Lucky for me I got an extended warranty when I bought my 05 WK. it is currently at the local jeep dealer and they are stumped as well. As of yesturday they are brining in a Chrysler engineer to look at it. I will let you know what they find out.

Is yours a CRD?

suzieque 08-12-2013 08:59 AM

SRT8 owners have also been chasing driveline vibration at 60mph-70mph. Upper control arm seemed to be fix in the majority of owners. Perhaps that is an issue with CRD. I swear my vibration started after my dealer replaced my front driveshaft. It would be nice if there were a decent driveline shop in town, I'd love to get the front and rear driveshafts rebalanced to 4000rpm

The time now is 09:21 AM.