WK CRD - Diesel Emissions Study? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK CRD - Diesel Emissions Study?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Spoke to 2 people this AM and they both said it is to both comply with an EPA requirement about real world condition emissions and for development of better diesel exhaust systems for next generation. They replace all the exhaust components with OEM original - not modified one's. The loaner is a 2010 or 2011 comparable so an SUV. They will be selecting which vehicles they want in the next 1-2 months but it can't have any after market mods, can't have been in a major accident and can't have had major engine repairs.

Drudgery1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudgery1971 View Post
Spoke to 2 people this AM and they both said it is to both comply with an EPA requirement about real world condition emissions and for development of better diesel exhaust systems for next generation. They replace all the exhaust components with OEM original - not modified one's. The loaner is a 2010 or 2011 comparable so an SUV. They will be selecting which vehicles they want in the next 1-2 months but it can't have any after market mods, can't have been in a major accident and can't have had major engine repairs.
Thanks for the update...Wonder if I get a letter this week?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
dieseljeep07

2007 WK 

I also recieved my letter last week. I am still unsure of doing this, only because I have not had any issues with my CRD. I did notice while putting on my 2" level kit the past week, how the exhaust system seemed surprisingly in great shape. I am going to keep asking around to see if I can find out more about this testing.
dieseljeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I'm guessing they only want vehicles that are relatively close to Detroit?
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison View Post
I'm guessing they only want vehicles that are relatively close to Detroit?
That seems to be the trend. Maybe someone could post up some contact info for people that may want to volunteer their CRD.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 08-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #21
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Here is the info but each letter has a vehicle code (not VIN) they use to track their request but worth a try.

Chrysler Diesel Emissions Study
Automotive Testing and Development Services Inc (Contracted by Chrysler for testing)
1-800-865-0379
Unread 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudgery1971 View Post
Here is the info but each letter has a vehicle code (not VIN) they use to track their request but worth a try.

Chrysler Diesel Emissions Study
Automotive Testing and Development Services Inc (Contracted by Chrysler for testing)
1-800-865-0379
Thanks for the info...talked with Mike at Automotive Testing and Development and he suggested that I contact Chrysler as they are just sent a list of VINs.

I will see what happens with a quick call to Chrysler, but my motivation is not that high.

But if I could get a new DPF the test to me would be worth it.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #23
suzieque
2008 WK 

interesting thread, but I wouldn't hand over the keys without more info about the study, e,g, are they going to mess around with ecu parameters?
IMO, anything diesel emissions related just results in reduced fuel economy, poorer performance and higher maintenance.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
interesting thread, but I wouldn't hand over the keys without more info about the study, e,g, are they going to mess around with ecu parameters?
IMO, anything diesel emissions related just results in reduced fuel economy, poorer performance and higher maintenance.
I agree...and it looks like I am not on the list. Called Chrysler Customer Support and they told me to call NHTSA...I said nah I do not want to call my gov't.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 08-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #25
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Can someone check the reality on this ..... I was reading a Spinter forum (same engine) and a new DPF costs about $3,800? That's quite a price tag to replace and add to that the remainder of the exhaust system. Kind of an expensive test for them.
Unread 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #26
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

I found the details on the chrysler site after searching for it specifically.

Emissions Test Program using Customer-Owned Chrysler Vehicles
The Federal government’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as well as the California Air Resources Board (CARB), require vehicle manufacturers to perform emissions tests on customer owned and operated vehicles that are 1-2 years old (between 10,000-50,000 miles) and 3-4 years old (over 50,000 miles) to verify the long term robustness of their exhaust emissions systems. This required test program is called the In-Use Verification Program (IUVP).

Chrysler works with Roush Industries and Automotive Testing & Development Services (ATDS) to procure and test customer-owned vehicles for IUVP emissions testing.

The government has guidelines on how to do an IUVP program that all the automotive companies must adhere to. Below is a summary of the Chrysler process:
  • 1) Chrysler downloads mail lists containing the owners for each engine/vehicle test group near a test facility, then using a random number generator, assigns random numbers to each. Roush or ATDS sends mailings to the customers with the lowest random numbers.
    2) Roush or ATDS collects the customer reply information and sends it to Chrysler, who then determines their eligibility and the order in which to call the replying customers for procurement, based on their random numbers.
    3) Roush or ATDS contacts the customers and goes through a telephone questionnaire (if applicable), arranges for their rental vehicles, and sets up the pickup location, date and time with each customer. Note: Vehicles must be tested in as-is condition. Therefore, if there is a safety issue with a vehicle, it is usually rejected from the program.
    4) Roush or ATDS meets with the customer at the appointed time and location, inspects their vehicle, and transports the vehicle to the test site. The customer is provided a rental vehicle with a full tank of gas.
    5) There are currently four locations at which Chrysler IUVP emissions testing is performed:
    • Chrysler Chelsea Proving Grounds (CPG), in Chelsea, Michigan
      Chrysler Technology Center (CTC), in Auburn Hills, Michigan
      Environmental Testing Corporation (ETC), in Aurora, Colorado
      Automotive Testing & Development Services, Inc. (ATDS), in Ontario, California
      • Note: For customer-owned vehicles in the California area, some are emissions tested right at the ATDS facility in California and others are procured by ATDS, then shipped to the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea, Michigan for testing, then shipped back to California when done. If customer vehicles are shipped, they are shipped in an enclosed car hauler (looks like a semi-truck with sides and a roof to protect the vehicle).
    6) Emissions testing consists of prepping the vehicle, securing it on a dynamometer and connecting an exhaust gas analyzer to the tailpipe. The vehicle’s tires rotate on the dynamometer rollers as the vehicle is “driven”, simulating both city and highway driving.
    7) Some vehicles are also selected for passive evaporative emissions testing (ex. tires and plastics give off small amounts of various gases). These vehicles are put into a sealed room for 2 days, while the air quality is periodically monitored. They are also ORVR tested (On-board Refueling Vapor Recovery). For this test, the vehicle is in a different type of sealed room, where the air quality is continuously monitored while the fuel tank is being filled. This tests how well the canister in the vehicle prevents gasoline fumes from escaping into the atmosphere when refueling the vehicle.
    8) Once all testing is completed, the vehicle is picked up by Roush or ATDS, who cleans it and fills the gas tank, then returns it to the customer and picks up the rental vehicle. An incentive check is given to the customer at that time.
  • The only difference here is that they specifically are going to replace the entire exhaust system with OEM original spec after testing. They did ask a lot of questions about if gas or fuel has been transported inside the interior as well as has armour All or leather cleaner been used in the past 3 months related to the interior air quality test. I found others have received this same request like the SRT10 and some older Jeeps back on 2009 as well so seems pretty standard.
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #27
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Thanks for the info...but I do have an issue with them replacing a $3800 part.

And you can source DPFs for cheaper than $3800. You can have them air cleaned for about $500 or you could get a DPF delete via software.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #28
wojomoto
2007 WK 

I filled out and sent in my form today. Why not get a new exhaust system and $250? I spoke to the company doing the work for Chrysler and they are only interested in seeing the emissions of the vehicle now and what has built up in the exhaust.
wojomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #29
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojomoto View Post
I filled out and sent in my form today. Why not get a new exhaust system and $250? I spoke to the company doing the work for Chrysler and they are only interested in seeing the emissions of the vehicle now and what has built up in the exhaust.
Yep they want to see how much ash has accumulated in the DPFs. You guys will get new ones. It will be interesting to see how much "real info" they give you.

It is what it is...but in the internet world how does Chrysler expect to keep this under wraps?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #30
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Scootr - They are paying for the whole thing + cash so not much info will come from it (which is routine in business). Payment means no reports or data but if they will replace the DPF and all exhaust I will be happy as hell but I still have to have it selected and I can't imagine many will get tested at the price tag they are looking at.

The DPF delete idea for me personally is not gonna happened (but the cleaning would be at the price I saw) as I don't have the money or time to monkey with it and because it's not broke, but will probably be in around 130k miles if estimates on Sprinters are correct and I intend on having this a Very LONG time so if I get an opportunity like this - I'm taking it. To each his own and this one for my needs is worth pusuing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.