WK CRD Custom Turbo Resonator Delete Pipe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK CRD Custom Turbo Resonator Delete Pipe

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

WK CRD Custom Turbo Resonator Delete Pipe

I had some free time last night to remove the turbo resonator and replace it with an aluminum 2.5" mandrel bent 90 tube.
Started with resonator out and aluminum tube.

Cut tube to length and removed end of silicone connector from resonator.

Cut end off of compressor outlet tube and attached silicone connector. Resonator delete installed.

Modified silicone connector to delete pipe.

Very tight area to work in. I couldn't get many good pictures. I painted it black like the turbo intake. Took me about 3-4 hrs.
Impressions, even quicker spool up. With the tune, intake tube, and resonator delete I have about zero lag accelerating from a stop. I couldn't notice any difference in NVH.

2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

nice i gutted mine awhile ago
will never go thru that again, such a pain in the *** LOL
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
BAH101
2008 WK 

Well, looks like I will copy your design and of course, call it mine
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig
I had some free time last night to remove the turbo resonator and replace it with an aluminum 2.5" mandrel bent 90 tube.
Started with resonator out and aluminum tube.

Cut tube to length and removed end of silicone connector from resonator.

Cut end off of compressor outlet tube and attached silicone connector. Resonator delete installed.

Modified silicone connector to delete pipe.

Very tight area to work in. I couldn't get many good pictures. I painted it black like the turbo intake. Took me about 3-4 hrs.
Impressions, even quicker spool up. With the tune, intake tube, and resonator delete I have about zero lag accelerating from a stop. I couldn't notice any difference in NVH.
Wow!!! ... Well done again.
Did you figure a way of bolting the moded pipe on the engine block or its light enough to move freely in the engine bay?
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
nice i gutted mine awhile ago
will never go thru that again, such a pain in the *** LOL
Thanks. It was a pain to get the resonator out and even harder to get this one in. I had to install and remove a few times to make sure everything lined up and fit correctly. I got pretty good at it in the end, but my arms have quite a few new scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
Well, looks like I will copy your design and of course, call it mine
Feel free to copy. Maybe give me a little bit of credit. JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
Wow!!! ... Well done again.
Did you figure a way of bolting the moded pipe on the engine block or its light enough to move freely in the engine bay?
Thanks. I have a bracket made up in case I want to bolt it to the engine block like the resonator, but I did not weld it on. It would of been even harder to wiggle that pipe in to place. Plus, the delete pipe weighs about nothing and the silicone connectors are up to the task of holding it in place. It barely moves when I grab a hold of it. I got it to max boost several times and holding strong. Time will tell. I will the add bracket if necessary, but I don't think it's needed.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
baggee
2007 WK 

@ tnadanzig:

Change yours ribbed v belt man,it's gone...
baggee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggee View Post
@ tnadanzig:

Change yours ribbed v belt man,it's gone...
I know, you like that. I got a new one on order.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Thanks. It was a pain to get the resonator out and even harder to get this one in. I had to install and remove a few times to make sure everything lined up and fit correctly. I got pretty good at it in the end, but my arms have quite a few new scratches.
I filed and sanded the corners of the fan shroud before going in to gut my resonator. Saved a lot of skin.

Quote:
Ok, but just a little
Unread 08-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Hmmmm , I think I need to do this
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Do it. It's actually a pretty cheap mod. I think I spent less than $40 on the whole thing. Well worth the money and time.

The resonator has been sitting on my bench for the last day or so and I can't believe the puddle of oil that has leaked out. The elephant mod has been on for quite some time. Anyone want a resonator?
Pro-lite Build
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
jediknight
2008 WK 

Hum ! Are you saying you found a puddle of oil in the res eventhou you had ehm ?!
Unread 08-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Yes, but that is very typical with CCV gases getting compressed and pumped through the intercooler system. I had the same issue on my F250 before I rerouted the CCV system. The Jeep ran almost 40k with the CCV system hooked up. There will be a lot of oil left over from those 40k miles that is in no hurry to get pumped through the system. Pull the intercooler and let it drain, you would be surprised by the amount of oil that would come out of it. The resonator is filled with little hooks and crannies that hold lots of oil. Or pull the resonator and let it hang for a day or two and record the amount of oil leaked out. This is why you reroute this stuff and delete egr and dpf. Pull the intake manifolds and look at all the stuff that has accumulated. Imagine what that does for efficiency.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
flacrd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig View Post

Thanks. I have a bracket made up in case I want to bolt it to the engine block like the resonator, but I did not weld it on. It would of been even harder to wiggle that pipe in to place. Plus, the delete pipe weighs about nothing and the silicone connectors are up to the task of holding it in place. It barely moves when I grab a hold of it. I got it to max boost several times and holding strong. Time will tell. I will the add bracket if necessary, but I don't think it's needed.
Please excuse all the questions, I'm trying to learn about this.
What was the reason to service the turbo resonator to start with? How much oil is normal in the turbo outlet? Can the resonator get clogged with oil and waste? Mine appears to be leaking more and more oil when under pressure
and be dry after not running for days. Would you replace it, bypass it or look for another problem ie the turbo leaking?
2005 LIBERTY LTD CRD (LEMON LAWED)
flacrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Radcrd
2007 WK 

No reason to service it. He choose to remove it to allow more airflow as he is heavily modded. It does not get clogged. It is simply there to reduce airflow noise. Your turbo is not leaking. The design of the intake allows for oil to be sucked through the intake system. Personally I would bypass with a pipe like tnadanzig did and never worry about it again. He was considering making and selling some bypass pipes.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
flacrd
2007 WK 

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
No reason to service it. He choose to remove it to allow more airflow as he is heavily modded. It does not get clogged. It is simply there to reduce airflow noise. Your turbo is not leaking. The design of the intake allows for oil to be sucked through the intake system. Personally I would bypass with a pipe like tnadanzig did and never worry about it again. He was considering making and selling some bypass pipes.
Thanks for the info and advice. Maybe I need to look around for another source for the oil? It sure looked like it was coming from that resonator or maybe just hoping it was instead of something else bad. Bypass sounds like a winner to me. I will let him know of my interest.
2005 LIBERTY LTD CRD (LEMON LAWED)
flacrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.