WK CRD Cabin Heat Boost - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK CRD Cabin Heat Boost

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 01-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

WK CRD Cabin Heat Boost

So today I decided to do something about the poor cabin heat in sub-freezing temperatures in my 08 WK CRD. Decided to go one step beyond the old "cr*ppy cardboard on the grille - or some kind of over-priced vehicle lingerie.

Tools: Ruler, scissors, black electrical tape.

I went to Home Depot and bought 2x 6-foot lengths of pipe insulation, 7/8 I.D. x 3/8 wall thk. It is a black foam with adhesive tape.

I cut 12 pcs, 8'' in length. After reinforcing the longitudinal edges with black tape/included adhesive, I made a 1'' slot on each side of the piece (to accomodate the small guage rods running across the grille at top and bottom)
Top: 1 7/8" from end, Bottom 2 3/8" from end.

I then wrapped each piece around two slats in the grille, making sure the slots and ends beyond the slots were tucked in fully with a nice snug fit.

There is an approx 3/8 gap between pieces when installed, allowing for some air-flow, some pcs can be removed if the temp guage goes beyond 12 O'Clock.

There are seven "panels" on the 08 WK grille. I installed 2 pcs in each of six panels, starting from driver side. I left the far passenger side panel open, that is where the air intake is on the CRD - gotta let that baby breathe!

We have had -20C to -28C here in Alberta this past ten days or so(for you using imperial, water freezes at 0C), but is supposed to warm up to -7C in the next 24 hrs. I may have to remove a piece or two to let some air in, but it will get cold again - garenteed! I will make my observations and report back with my findings.

OH CANADA! Out

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Dr. Internet
2012 WK 

BurmaJack,

Great solution!! I've never seen that done before. It's cheap, easy to do, anyone can install / remove it, and it can be used over and over again. How well does it work?
Those things are begging to have something painted on them...

It's good to see practical engineering is still alive.

(I'm glad I will never need them.)

2012 Black Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4x4
USN Club Hull # WK-13
TEXAS Jeep Club #29
Dr. Internet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #3
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

I had a weather front made for my diesel that covers the whole grill and all it did was allow the motor to warm up a little faster.Didn't make much differance helping the interior warm up faster.Such a big area to heat.It also dropped my fuel milage by 4 miles per gallon because the turbo air intercooler wasn't cooling the engine intake air as good.So I cut a slot along the bottom of the weather front to let air into the bottom side of the grill for the intercooler and the fuel milage went up 2 mpg.I had a small sqare hole in it for the air intake for the air cleaner.I am thinking becase the weather front is on there isn't the air presure in front of the grill that helps force air into the air cleaner intake which also contibuted to the lower fuel milage.I cut the spoon looking thing off the tube that goes into the air cleaner box at an angle to make work more like ram air which helped fuel milage a little bit.So I stopped using it.After you have run your weather front let us know the results on fuel milage and if the cabin heats up any quicker.
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Thanks for the support! The other day I saw a WK with a cardboard box strapped to the grille and though I was sort of envying the benefit, it looked unbecoming and IMO makes a bad statement. Secondly, I refuse to buy one of those 'bras' that cover the front like something a pontiac fiero would wear.

I will be keeping an eye on the temp guages well as any SUBSTANTIAL change in fuel mileage. Given the climate, it's basically cr*p right now anyway due to warm up time, deep snow, and never mind plugging her in all night - holy power bill!

So its -21C right now with wind chill at -27. I am hoping to achieve a warm up temp equal to two remote start cycles in just one (with fan left on high, on dash vent recirc.). then when I take her out, I'm hoping for no interior window ice at 50% fan setting, with def/floor split. If I can achieve that I will be happy.

Check back

Blue WK Club Member #2
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

That brings back memories of living in North Dakota and northern Minnesota where cardboard boxes on grills were common in the winter. Your setup looks pretty slick!
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Spider-One
2008 WK 

Aside from just the initial warm-up when I was driving the WK a lot it needed a winter front mostly on the highway. I just used a piece of cardboard painted black and ziptied it just behind the grill. At -45*C it would barely get the temp gauge moving let alone keep a decent temp in the cabin, the cardboard behind the grill made a world of difference and I could see no noticeable difference in mileage except the usual winter blend losses. A must if you live in a colder area, personally I'd prefer the painted cardboard to this, you could never tell with it painted and it would last all winter.
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Megaman7
2005 WK 

It was -33 here this morning in Winterpeg. Took forever to warm up, and I still needed the credit card to scrape my drivers window on the drive to work. If this works I might try it.
Megaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would think you'd get better results if you insulated the engine coolant hoses which run from the block to the firewall / heater core. Usually the coolant for the cabin heat is diverted from the block before the thermostat so you can get heat earlier. The hose runs frome the block to the firewall are probably where you lose the heat in the engine compartment the most...

JW
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaw22 View Post
I would think you'd get better results if you insulated the engine coolant hoses which run from the block to the firewall / heater core. Usually the coolant for the cabin heat is diverted from the block before the thermostat so you can get heat earlier. The hose runs frome the block to the firewall are probably where you lose the heat in the engine compartment the most...

JW
Hey JW thats a great idea! I have a four foot length of insulation left, when I get out there I'll have a look for the hose and take a measurement!

I woke up this morning to -8C. I am a bit peeved that I waited so long to do this, now I'll have to wait till the temp drops to below -20C to put it to the test.

But winter is far from over

Blue WK Club Member #2
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurmaJack View Post
Hey JW thats a great idea! I have a four foot length of insulation left, when I get out there I'll have a look for the hose and take a measurement!
Just be careful where you put the pipe insulation... Make sure it isn't against something like the exhaust or turbo so it won't melt / burn.

There is usually one supply line and a return line... The only one which needs insulation is the supply line. The way I figured out which one is which in the past is to start the engine (while cold), turn on the heat, and feel for which hose gets hot first. I never had to insulate them though.

Good luck...

JW
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
fred99x
2008 WK 

I had the dealer install this grill insert (top and bottom) and it stays on year round without any temperature problems. I do remove three of the grill inserts when I pull my trailer. Very easy to remove if required. See post #15.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/a...laredo-671536/
fred99x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Looks great! I want to eventually install the overland mesh behind the grille. Do those inserts come in flat black?

Blue WK Club Member #2
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
Spider-One
2008 WK 

If those are the Cloud Rider inserts I believe they do come in black but for an extra $300 I don't see many people going that route, which is why I never bothered.

http://www.cloud-rider.com/market/index/page/grills

Do a vehicle search on the top right to pull up the options.
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
fred99x
2008 WK 

You want more heat. Check this one out. Complete with flames for more heat
http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...ep,model:Grand Cherokee,year:2008),AND(universal:1))&Vi=1557+1085 3+4294962483&y=2008&mk=Jeep&md=Grand Cherokee
fred99x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-One View Post
If those are the Cloud Rider inserts I believe they do come in black but for an extra $300 I don't see many people going that route, which is why I never bothered.

http://www.cloud-rider.com/market/index/page/grills

Do a vehicle search on the top right to pull up the options.
Holy Mother! I think I'll fab my own and spend the money on tires! Pretty pricy

Blue WK Club Member #2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.