WK Cooling System Maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK Cooling System Maintenance

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
brianj08
2005 WK 

WK Cooling System Maintenance

Hey All,

I am not trying to start a flame war just want some input since I am sure there are a ton of opinions I am open to reading but just don't want to start arguments. I also searched and couldn't formulate my own conclusion based on what others had done. Anyhow, here I go...

Earlier this year I purchased 2005 WK Limited 4.7L V8 with ~75k miles on it (now at 88k) and have been trying to take care of maintenance for peace of mind and to have a baseline for my ownership of the Jeep. The Jeep was a 1 owner car that was always serviced at the Jeep dealer.

So far since 75k miles, the front & rear differential and transfer case fluids have been changed, the transmission fluid and filters (both) were replaced, air filter has been changed with a purolator pureone filter, used mobil 1, replaced the tires with general grabbers, and that is pretty much it.

My plans next are to have the coolant flushed or drained/replaced and possibly the heater core. I am curious if at this time I should just replace both the upper and lower radiator hoses for the peace of mind and since it should be a fairly quick replacement while I do the coolant flush either myself or the dealer has a special for the coolant drain and replace with new HOAT fluid for $89.88 which is done by a MOPAR quick lane at the Jeep dealer. This is where I have had the diff fluids and transfer case done and the price wasnt bad for that service which was $180.

What would you guys do?

Down the road I am planning on PCV valve, new spark plugs, Bilstein 4600's in the next 6 months (even though the ride isnt bad for the miles on what i am sure are stock struts/shocks), and then the brakes (rotors and ceramic pads). Anything else you can recommend I check on? I have loved this vehicle since I bought it in February of this year. Have had very good luck with it so far (knock-on-wood) and would like to stay ahead of the curve as far as maintenance so stuff does not compound and cost more in the future.

Plan on having this WK for a while! Everyone on the JeepForum has been very helpful so far I must say with any other threads.

brianj08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Last month I replaced the coolant, hoses and thermostat in my '07. I'd replace the hoses on yours just based on the age. They're 10 years old now.
Have you checked the front differential bushings? Those seems to be a common failure item.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
fishinbama
2007 WK 

I did replace my coolant recently but I left my hoses alone. They still look new! I just can't replace them when they still look that good. Flexing them shows no cracking. My shocks aren't even worn out yet with 90,000 miles now.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

If the hoses haven't been done, I'd do them. As caddydaddy said, they're up there in age, even for modern EPDM rubber. You've got the benefit of a relatively gentle climate on your side, but even so you're headed for borrowed time.

Also, if you haven't already registered your vehicle at Jeep.com, do that and sign in to your account. You can get coupons there that are often even better than the dealer's own specials.

Edit: Although if they look good, there's no external cracking, and they still feel alright, you can probably squeeze some more life out of them with careful observation. If they look really new (especially check the ends—they'll set and swell with age), they may in fact have been replaced already.
Unread 12-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
brianj08
2005 WK 

I could probably benefit from having the front differential bushing replaced, makes a clunk every so often shifting from park to drive or reverse. Not all the time though. I would like to replace my front swaybar bushings since those should be fairly easy.

The hoses should be pretty straight forward to replace when doing the coolant correct? Are they easy access or tucked away? I haven't even gotten that far to check yet.
Unread 12-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
JKM
2005 WK 

if you're draining the coolant I would consider chaning the water pump. The OEM unit is of poor quality and very reasonably priced replacements at RockAuto. I would also do thermostat at the same time
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
colinzj
2006 WK 

Can't miss 'em, nothing in the way. You can't do the lower without draining the system (well, you can if you want to wear ~10 quarts of coolant), and you have to top up after doing the upper, so a coolant change is the perfect time.

As far as DIY goes, they're easy if you're got a standard pair of slip-joint pliers and super easy if you have proper hose clamp pliers. Worst case they've been on there long enough to fuse to the engine side and you add an extra 5 minutes of cutting and pliering.

If you have any doubts about your thermostat, it's a good time to do that too, as the t-stat housing is the lower hose outlet.
Unread 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
brianj08
2005 WK 

is the waterpump easy access and something I can do on my own? I have never even thought to do this type of repair since your typical water pump/ timing belt change is usually labor intensive and expensive. I understand this has a timing chain so I dont know if it is better suited for a professional to do the waterpump?
Unread 12-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Forcus
2005 WK 

I think you got the validation you needed. The manual calls for 100k on the HOAT coolant and the coolant itself is rated at 5 yr. / 100k, so it's time if you go by that. I do all hoses at the same time. On most parts I tend towards factory parts but for hoses I saw no need since Goodyear / Gates / others are factory suppliers and cheaper for pretty much the same thing. As far as water pumps go, you may do it at the same time. With a ten year old WK with 75k miles (before you bought it), that's only 7,500 miles a year and so it was either sitting a lot or lots of stops and starts. The sitting a lot can eat up water pump bearings so without knowing I'd probably toss a pump in there too (especially since you have to drain all that coolant to replace it). I don't know if I'd do a heater core but if you are anal and it is the same quality or better as factory, why not. I throw in a thermostat too, although I think all newer car thermostats are fail safe - if it fails it simply takes forever to get warmed up or doesn't get completely warmed up at all (as opposed to overheating).

You might also consider a coolant filter. I don't think Jeeps are particularly prone to getting casting sand or flakes of metal / aluminum circulating in the cooling system but I plan to add one at some point.
Unread 12-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
Forcus
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj08 View Post
is the waterpump easy access and something I can do on my own? I have never even thought to do this type of repair since your typical water pump/ timing belt change is usually labor intensive and expensive. I understand this has a timing chain so I dont know if it is better suited for a professional to do the waterpump?
Water pump is in front of the timing chain. I have a subscription to alldatadiy.com and checked it, it's very simple, basically undo the serpentine belt, take out the old pump, install new. Timing chain(s) are behind a cover and requires many other steps (although I fully intend to take a look at them when I do my cooling system overhaul soon. I'm at 151k miles).
Unread 12-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
brianj08
2005 WK 

Thank you, is the whole front of the car required to be dismantled (ie. remove bumper and cover and alot of other parts) just to get to the water pump or can you typically remove this and install it while getting under the car while on ramps like a oil change so to speak.
Unread 12-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
brianj08
2005 WK 

which brands from rock auto are better for the following parts:

-upper and lower radiator hose: a)Goodyear b) Dayco c) Gates d) AC Delco

-thermostat: a)Stand b) Gates c)motorad & motorad premium

-water pump: a)Gates b) Airtex c)Pronto d) Bosch e) Cardone

-stabilizer bar bushing or sway bar bushing: a) AC Delco (blue one) unless someone knows a better brand for these, i thought i read there was a redesign on this item from the OEM with the opening orientation?

any input would be great.
Unread 12-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
colinzj
2006 WK 

Any of those hoses should be fine. All EPDM, all resist electrolytic corrosion, all around $10. The Mopar hose is thicker and better-reinforced, but it also has an MSRP of $80 (!) post-bankruptcy.

Stant supplies (or did supply) the OE thermostats so they're probably a safe bet there.

Swaybar bushings and brackets were redesigned, apparently to stay put better and be quieter. If it hasn't given you any trouble, yeah, Delco and another brand are still making the original design. If you want to upgrade to the newer design, you'll need the brackets from the dealer.
Unread 12-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #14
Forcus
2005 WK 

I have a 3.7 which I believe has an identical front end (of the engine) to a 4.7, but yours just has less space between the engine and radiator / fan. For the 3.7, nothing needs removed. I assume for the 4.7 it's the same, just a little tighter space wise (There is a good 8 inches of clearance between the very front of the motor / accessories and the radiator / fan).

As far as hoses, any of those are probably fine (I bought Goodyear), thermostat, all of those are probably fine but I'd lean towards Gates or Stant, water pump I don't know. Generally if there's any doubt I go factory but this doesn't always apply if (1)the factory parts are a known issue or (2) they've taken "good" parts and resourced to "2nd tier" vendors for older vehicles. I have seen this happen a lot in certain industries. I try to stay away from Airtex and Cardone. Bosch and Gates are generally well known brands but I don't think Gates makes their own pumps and I believe Bosch might since they may other pumps. So if not factory, by process of elimination I'd probably go Bosch. Just my $.02 but you may want to search threads here more.
Unread 12-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
brianj08
2005 WK 

thanks for the help, putting a cart together for some items. i guess i really should just throw a serpentine belt in there too since mine may be original..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.