WK build- "The Badger" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 87 Old 02-22-2017, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

I just noticed I scooped sand into the winch. I'll be sure to clean it out in the next few days. I wonder if I should put a cover over that fairlead. There will still be sand getting in, but it might be a lot less.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 02-22-2017, 09:00 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
"69 to her" nice plate! I like your air setup. A little more than I'd need, but awesome still the same.
azzkicker likes this.
post #63 of 87 Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 AM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

This truly is a solid, functional build - no accessorizing - great rig!
azzkicker likes this.

~Mike~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM

post #64 of 87 Old 02-28-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

I had the rig out again, and the drive line didn't cause me any trouble since I cut the fuel tank skid plate out of the way. It was fun, and performed well in the snow; I got stuck, but I was asking for it and I had a lot of options to get out. There was another truck behind me that was able to yank me out pretty quick with the snatch strap I carry.

I have the rear winch mount bumper on order from FMJ. They got back to my builder and came up with something. I told them I would give up the rear receiver in exchange for the winch being tucked up as far as possible. I ordered the option with a spare tire swinging mount.

I decided I couldn't trust aluminum with the high cyclic stress on the tire mount (it might have been fine, but if it cracked, it would be hard to beef up). The winch would have been fine, assuming they used enough aluminum, but the road stresses on the heavy tire would just work on whatever stress point wasn't properly reinforced. Also, I drag my rear bumper a lot, and steel is easy to bend back or cut out and repair, but aluminum is just harder to deal with. It could have worked, and would have saved some weight, but from the gouges already in my skid plates, I think steel is going to be less trouble.

I'm having an M-8000 with synthetic line installed in the bumper. I still haven't figured out how to put a second battery in the rig. I'm thinking I wait to see what the bumper takes up, then use that and the spare tire bracket to build something. There's plenty of room under there, but I need some kind of horizontal mount. I haven't seen anything that would obviously work, so I have to come up with something. It will need to let me lift and slide the battery in, not having to hold it up while I line up bolts.

I'd love to hear any ideas. Has anybody had a problem with letting a battery go under water? I'm thinking the chances of getting dipped under water are pretty good down there. I could slather the connectors up with foam or other coatings.

post #65 of 87 Old 02-28-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
This truly is a solid, functional build - no accessorizing - great rig!
Thanks! I'm enjoying running this thing around town too, but I certainly picked the more trail duty of everything I've done. It's a real kick in the pants off road.

post #66 of 87 Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
I can't remember who, but the dual battery thread has someone who put it up in the rear fender.
post #67 of 87 Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
I can't remember who, but the dual battery thread has someone who put it up in the rear fender.
i can't find that. Can you help?

post #68 of 87 Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
post #69 of 87 Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Armor_LG
2010 WK 

Where did you make cuts on the fuel tank skid? Do you have pictures or a diagram you can share?

Loving the build, keep it up!

Black WK #180

post #70 of 87 Old 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

Sick build!!!
azzkicker likes this.
post #71 of 87 Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor_LG View Post
Where did you make cuts on the fuel tank skid? Do you have pictures or a diagram you can share?

Loving the build, keep it up!
I'll get some pictures of the cut, but it's at the stealership right now getting a laundry list of stuff done. I expect to get it back early next week.

post #72 of 87 Old 03-18-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Rear winch mount bumper is coming along! I opted to leave off the receiver hitch since I donít need to tow with this, and from the designs Iíve seen it would have lowered the bottom of the bumper 2 to 4 inches. This design mounts the winch upside down with a cover plate to protect it.

Latest update from Brian at FMJ Offroad is that they have been slammed with moving into a new shop as well as an influx of new customers, but that fabrication on the new bumper is almost done and hopefully off to media blasting to prep for powder coating by this weekend.

Here are some progress pics. I donít know what to think about how far it appears to stick out. Iím not sure Iím going to like it, but Iíll wait until itís on to decide.

post #73 of 87 Old 03-18-2017, 04:35 PM
derpboss

I may not agree with his style, but he sure does some unique work. I Didn't like either of his front bumpers, or his non winch rear bumper. But it's cool he's willing to do whatever we want, the work is solid, and the prices seem reasonable.
azzkicker likes this.
post #74 of 87 Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

He is very willing to customize. I didn't have a design, so I told him to look at the metal pasja bumpers (which I really like) and do what he thinks is best.

I can't tell how it's going to look until it's on the rig, but since it's steel, I have lots of options for having it modified. I thought about going with aluminum, but it's so easy to leave a stress concentration somewhere that matters, and so hard to modify or reinforce later.

I really like the idea that I can check out every possible size reduction, then have it done, instead of trying to design the most efficient bumper from scratch. I doubt I'll bother with it, but I will if it bugs me.

post #75 of 87 Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Bent steering knuckle and lower control arm
I seem to have bent these parts with a sand dune trip I didn't think was violent enough to justify the parts.

I have the superlift, and i've only had it out a few times, but I did a pretty hard trip in the dunes. After that, the rig had stability control errors, and it pulled to the right. The dealer couldn't figure it out. I took it back to the place that initially aligned the new lift, and they said these parts are bent.

I'm not doubting it, and I paid the $600 deposit to get the $1200 repair underway. I'm wondering if I could have the arm stiffened or something. There's this cast steel arm that reaches up above the tire, which is what bent. It's a superlift part.

They're telling me everybody serious just puts a solid axle under their jeep, but I've seen plenty of solid axles bend too. I'm not even close to that modification.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.