WK build- "The Badger" - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 Old 12-31-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

WK build- "The Badger"

I'm new to this forum, but not new to jeeps or wheeling (mostly in non-jeeps though). I'm in the middle of a serious build and thought I should start posting now, before it's done. I picked a name for the rig, "The Badger", but I'm not sure it will stick.

I set out to look at buying or building a toy, and quickly upped my initial budget of $15K to $30K (believe it or not, I married extremely well and didn't need permission). I hope not to get there, but I'm way past half way. I'm going all cash, no borrowing (except where interest free, then I set up an autopay to beat the clock).

I bought this 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with Hemi 5.7 and QD2, to make a fun offroad rig, take the pressure off my daily driver, and give me something fun to pull behind the motor home. Had to be street legal, smog and all. Had to be a V-8, for acoustical reasons alone (I like power, but you can modify a 6). This one has 95,000 miles so I sprung for a 3 year aftermarket warranty.

I didn't take pics of the stock rig, and I don't have enough posts yet for you to see them anyway, but picture a stock silver overland with no damage, no rust, even under the vehicle. The soccer mom stayed off gravel roads and did not live where they salt the pavement. I will not be so kind.

My last 3 rigs were nice F150 FX4s under warranty, and I thrashed the first two to the point of ridiculous, but fixed everything as it dented/broke. The last victim had 20,000 miles on it, and had $22,000 in body work (and some upside down time). The current one is getting minimal offroad (it's been up the face of the bowl at sand lake, but hasn't done the 70mph side cling the other two have).

I'll get into the plan and status in upcoming posts. I've already started putting pictures on photobucket, and will share soon.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 12-31-2016, 01:16 PM
derpboss

$30k? Assuming you're going modified superlift, at least 35's, bumpers front n rear, with cash to spare?
post #3 of 87 Old 01-01-2017, 11:59 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

Forgive my ignorance, but why pay for a 3 year warranty if it sounds like you'll be heavily modifying it and most likely crashing it?

post #4 of 87 Old 01-01-2017, 01:50 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
My name is badgerwithhands. Almost stole my handle for your build. Haha
post #5 of 87 Old 01-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Bangarng

Am I the only one who thinks dumping 15 to 30k into a 2007 with 95 thousand miles crazy, or just plain dumb? If I had 30k cash I'd get a Ford Raptor and be done with it. With that being said I am now subscribed. I can't wait to see what you do.

2010 5.7 - 4" BWoody, BT Catch Can, Flowmaster 50, SC 3872, F&R SRT8 Sways & Eibachs & WK Bilstein's
post #6 of 87 Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 PM
derpboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangarng View Post
Am I the only one who thinks dumping 15 to 30k into a 2007 with 95 thousand miles crazy, or just plain dumb? If I had 30k cash I'd get a Ford Raptor and be done with it. With that being said I am now subscribed. I can't wait to see what you do.
Depends on what you want. A 2007 in great condition at those miles fetches 13-14k alone. I plan on dumping close to 10k into mine when it's all said and done. But that includes a modified superlift, which requires nearly $3000+ in parts at a minimum between the 2 lifts, and aftermarket upper control arms. an adjustable track bar. bumpers front and rear we'll call it 2k. $800 up front, $1200+ in the rear. a superchips is $300-400 for the traildash I bought. 5 35's or 37's are $2k roughly if you buy new. Sliders were $400. skidplates were $600 for asfir ones. Way more if you want 4xguards.

Then you'll ideally want custom length front and rear drive shafts. Those are $400 or so each. so $800. then adjustable rear control arms, $200 for IRO WJ lowers, but the WK rears are $300 if you don't know about the WJ's being the same exact fit. so that's another $500-600. Don't forget those differential bushings, close to $300 I think for the jeepperf poly ones. Oh and regearing is another $800 for the parts.

And this all includes absolutely no labor. Just assuming you do EVERYTHING yourself.

Most of us do it over time, but if he has the bank and the wifes permission, He can have a very cool jeep in the near future. He will literally never make his money back, ever. But he could have it for the next 5 years easy. 10+ if he takes care of it and it isn't a DD, unless he overheats it and drops a valve, LMFAO.
angryrooster likes this.
post #7 of 87 Old 01-01-2017, 07:54 PM
commanding2016

Don't listen to these dudes. Go balls deep! I've paid more for a daily driver. Why not spend money on a toy you can really enjoy?

The warranty thing is something I would look to cancel and get your $$ back though. Aftermarket warranties are ****. Period. Besides... If it breaks, you can put in a stroker or something...
post #8 of 87 Old 01-01-2017, 07:55 PM
commanding2016

And for **** sake... Post some mindless posts and then get the pics going!
post #9 of 87 Old 01-05-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Everyone is right. It's not an investment. I will never, ever get my money back. However, if I roll this one, I can drag the smoking heap back to Accessory Outfitters and tell them to pull all the cool stuff off, then buy another stock one and put this stuff on it.

Stocks are an investment, guns hold their value, but boats and offroad rigs are money pits. it's mental floss. I can sit at home, watch youtube videos of other people living, or I can have something that makes me want to get out of bed in the morning.

The warranty is so I can budget my repair costs, just like insurance. In the long run, you would do better to be self insured, but if I lose my mind worrying about stuff, what is the point? When I was comfortable swapping engines and transmissions in a weekend, I didn't buy warranties. In this case, I made sure the warranty allowed the lift and tire size I wanted.

Yes, it's dumb. Driving anything less efficient than a Prius to work is dumb. Hobbies are dumb. Sex is dumb if you have a vasectomy. Why does anybody spend money on something that isn't required to live and reproduce? We're all idiots, but some of us are happier than others. I want to be the happy idiot. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what will make me the happiest idiot in town.

That hemi sounds awesome, and in stock form that jeep was a real kick to drive. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun in it. Right now the bumper is on, but the lift is waiting for a part, so it looks like a freak with giant arms and skinny legs! I'm leaving it at the shop until the lift and tires are on there. I would not recommend a winch mount bumper with stock tires. It just doesn't seem to fit.
Z-Thad and UnboundWK like this.

post #10 of 87 Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanding2016 View Post
Don't listen to these dudes. Go balls deep! I've paid more for a daily driver. Why not spend money on a toy you can really enjoy?

The warranty thing is something I would look to cancel and get your $$ back though. Aftermarket warranties are ****. Period. Besides... If it breaks, you can put in a stroker or something...
Right on! I might go long enough to be sure the engine and tranny aren't about to explode, then cancel it, but I really won't miss the 3 or 4k I paid.

I have made out well with a warranty on a Lexus LS460. I got my money back several times over. But, for me I just need to figure out what gives me the least stress. I can worry about brain lesions, and leave the transmission to somebody else. I will not die regretting money spent on a toy. I'm dead sure of that.

I followed an SRT8 for a few miles, including a tunnel, the other day. It sounded so awesome, I may have to upgrade my hemi anyway.

post #11 of 87 Old 01-05-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpboss View Post
$30k? Assuming you're going modified superlift, at least 35's, bumpers front n rear, with cash to spare?
I chose the tire size first, and for what I want to do, the rollover risk and drive train stress of 35s sounded like too much. I have 35s on my F150, and have been running them forever on full size rigs, but I thought 33 made a nice middle ground for what I consider a small rig. The 4" lift should just clear them, and I don't want to be any higher than I have to be. That's why I'm going with beefy 1/4" aluminum skids.

I should have money to spare with this budget, but keep in mind I can barely use my hands for daily tasks and driving, so I'm paying for a lot of labor that I would have done myself 5 years ago. That's life, and I choose to use money to make up for what my body is failing to do.

The labor makes a big difference in budget, but the guys at Accessory Outfitters are taking care of everything, and being reasonable about it.

post #12 of 87 Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanding2016 View Post
And for **** sake... Post some mindless posts and then get the pics going!
Mindless post, as you command, commander! Good idea

post #13 of 87 Old 01-05-2017, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but why pay for a 3 year warranty if it sounds like you'll be heavily modifying it and most likely crashing it?
Just piece of mind, and I made sure the warranty was good with 33" tires and a 4" lift. Also, it can be refunded pro-rated minus any claims, so even if I didn't want one for real, it might be a good idea to carry it a few months and find out why the last guy sold this thing. My dad always said he never sold a rig that didn't need sold.

post #14 of 87 Old 01-05-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Back to the plan:

I worry about rolling, since Ive done it plenty and sometimes I go fast, so I wanted as low as possible that fits the tire size I want. I decided a 33 tire, as narrow as possible, was about optimum for what I want to do. A 4 Superlift says it can take a 33 tire. I found these 33.3X10 tires in a 17 rim. Narrow gives me a better turning radius (and/or tire clearance), and better traction in almost all off road situations. Ill have to see how it looks, but Im willing to sacrifice cool for capable.
The stock rims cant work with the 4 Superlift, so new ones were needed.
In fact, I stupidly didnt realize you have to have 17 rims for this rig because the front disk brakes are that big. Good, but inconvenient. First, I ordered 15 rims that had an awesome offroad description of two tire stems so you can check it while your compressor is going, and a bead rib that prevents peeling beads at low pressure (done that plenty, and can re-seat but dont like it). The tire store looked up my bolt pattern, but didnt catch the brake issue either. They did take a full exchange for the ones that fit, so they do better than most.

I delivered one rim and one tire to Accessory Outfitters in Beaverton, Oregon. They are going to confirm these work (they caught the 15" problem before I even dropped that one off. They are going to run the stock rims up to America's Tire once the lift is underway. The TPS needs to be transferred.

post #15 of 87 Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
My name is badgerwithhands. Almost stole my handle for your build. Haha
Sorry man, I first wanted to go with Pole Cat, but the wife thought it sounded like a stripper name. I'll let you drive it, if you get in the Western Oregon area. That's the best I can do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.