WK Bilstein/Daystar Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
CJwithaWK
2006 WK 

Garage
WK Bilstein/Daystar Question

I have an 06 WK with Bilstein HD's and Daystar BB. Since install (by a Denver suspension shop) I've had a continuous rattle when hitting mild or heavier bumps on lovely Colorado roads. I replaced the sway bar bushings/links, checked every bolt in the assembly with no success.

With frustrations at an all time high I turned my focus to the strut assembly itself rather than how its mounted to the Jeep. I noticed the Daystar 'Lower Concentric Spacer' sits loose between the spring and strut shaft/body. In the ever so thorough Daystar instructions (http://daystarweb.com/attachments/in.../KJ09132BK.pdf) you can see how the assembly goes together.

The concentric spacer M03649 looks like it sits below a 'lip' on the top of the strut body which doesn't exist on the Bilstein struts. I'm thinking the difference in struts is allowing the concentric spacer to move out of its intended location and it's rattling around on each and every bump.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any insight before I take the whole strut assembly apart would be a huge help.

Thanks guys.

2006 WK Hemi Limited QDII | Daystar BB | Bilsteins | 265/70R17 BFG KO2 | AEV Pintlers | Magnaflow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-23-2016, 10:28 PM
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Take the struts apart is my guess, Make sure everything is just right and put them back together. Tighten that nut on top all the way down. Fixed my rattle.

2007 limited crd 2wd, 3.07 ratio, GDE eco tune, dpf delete, BuilderBill valve body
2013 VW Passat tdi, 6m
2005 GMC crew cab 5.3
post #3 of 14 Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
CJwithaWK
2006 WK 

Garage
Yep, I'm on the same page. Just curious if anyone has had a similar issue with a Daystar BB on non-OE strut. Thanks bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 WK Hemi Limited QDII | Daystar BB | Bilsteins | 265/70R17 BFG KO2 | AEV Pintlers | Magnaflow
post #4 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 PM
chance_p
2008 WK 

I have had the same issue ever since installing my Daystar BB and wk bilsteins up front. Everything is tight, I think you may be onto something. I may end up living with it as I don't want to deal with taking those struts apart again.

2008 WK Laredo 4.7 QTII Black. Factory mygig leather heated seats fogs remote start moonroof
post #5 of 14 Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
CJwithaWK
2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance_p View Post
I have had the same issue ever since installing my Daystar BB and wk bilsteins up front. Everything is tight, I think you may be onto something. I may end up living with it as I don't want to deal with taking those struts apart again.

Does your concentric spacer fit snug or is it loose around the strut body? Mine you can move around with your fingers between the coil.

post #6 of 14 Old 01-26-2016, 01:52 PM
chance_p
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJwithaWK View Post
Does your concentric spacer fit snug or is it loose around the strut body? Mine you can move around with your fingers between the coil.

Honestly I can't say I remember but next time I have a wheel off I will inspect and post in this thread.

2008 WK Laredo 4.7 QTII Black. Factory mygig leather heated seats fogs remote start moonroof
post #7 of 14 Old 01-26-2016, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
CJwithaWK
2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance_p View Post
Honestly I can't say I remember but next time I have a wheel off I will inspect and post in this thread.

Ok thanks!

post #8 of 14 Old 01-27-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
CJwithaWK
2006 WK 

Garage
So I had the shop that installed the kit take a third look at it focusing on the concentric spacer. The consensus remains he doesn't know what's rattling. He agreed there's no lip on the Bilsteins to hold the concentric spacer in place. He recommended a hd adhesive to keep in down. I'm about 5 mins away from ordering an entire ome kit and forgetting about this.

post #9 of 14 Old 01-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Kolak
Vendor

It's been a long while since I've sold a Daystar kit. These days I typically sell the RC kit since the strut doesn't have to be disassembled and a lot of people aren't getting new struts.

Question: Does the Daystar kit retain the stock upper and lower spring isolators or are they replaced by components in the Daystar kit? I seem to remember the isolators are no longer utilized but wanted to be certain. If they are reused they could be the cause of the noise.

If you decide on an OME kit you will need isolators for sure. I have the OME kit on special and have the isolators available too.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
post #10 of 14 Old 01-29-2016, 12:59 AM
chance_p
2008 WK 

After taking a second look at the .PDF document I remembered that when I installed the concentric spacer it just slid right onto the strut, no lip above the spacer.

post #11 of 14 Old 01-29-2016, 03:51 AM
paroxysym
2007 WK 

the daystar spacer replaces the lower spring isolator on the struts. I ran the bilstein 4600s and daystar kit for 3.5 yrs with no issues, hope you figure out the issue. mind posting pics? maybe that would help diagnose the problem.

you've gone over everything else in the front that could make a rattling sound- loose strut mount, loose swaybar link, bad bushings on the swaybar? I know I had a rattle on the drivers side of my WK for a week and a half and it turned out to be a worn out swaybar link. just throwing some food for thought out there, being as the install of the daystar BB is pretty cut and dry- unless its possible you got a defective front spacer that wont seat properly

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
post #12 of 14 Old 01-29-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
CJwithaWK
2006 WK 

Garage
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take the wheel off and take a few good pictures this weekend.

Daystar hasn't addressed the problem yet. I've been contacting them all week.

post #13 of 14 Old 02-02-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
CJwithaWK
2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
the daystar spacer replaces the lower spring isolator on the struts. I ran the bilstein 4600s and daystar kit for 3.5 yrs with no issues, hope you figure out the issue. mind posting pics? maybe that would help diagnose the problem.

you've gone over everything else in the front that could make a rattling sound- loose strut mount, loose swaybar link, bad bushings on the swaybar? I know I had a rattle on the drivers side of my WK for a week and a half and it turned out to be a worn out swaybar link. just throwing some food for thought out there, being as the install of the daystar BB is pretty cut and dry- unless its possible you got a defective front spacer that wont seat properly

Riveting update here... Daystar is completely worthless and told me to have a certified installer look at it. After reiterating that I have done that numerous times they are telling me it's not their problem. Super.

It's dumping snow here in Denver so it'll be a few before I can post pics. Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

post #14 of 14 Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJwithaWK View Post
Riveting update here... Daystar is completely worthless and told me to have a certified installer look at it. After reiterating that I have done that numerous times they are telling me it's not their problem. Super.

It's dumping snow here in Denver so it'll be a few before I can post pics. Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

wow.. what a bunch of *******s. sorry to hear man

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.