Is the WK that bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Is the WK that bad?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 11-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

Is the WK that bad?

So my plan is to sell my 2011 silverado and my 98 grand cherokee 5.9 and build a dual purpose rig. I would try and get an 08-10 CRD with around 50k miles. I would just do a OME lift and some armour and get a GDE tune for it. I mainly just do 2 tracks with a hill climb here and there and 1-2 trips to the sand dunes every year. I pull a 3500lb boat too. My only problem is after doing some digging it seems like there is ALOT of electrical and other problems with these vehicles. Hopefully I'm wrong b/c I would really like to consolidate but not if I will be forced to ride my bike to work b/c my jeep broke down again.
Thanks

T-nave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I've had mine from 11,000 to 103,000 and done ok so faaarrrrrr...

I've had all the typical glitches, but you seem on top of those.

You will LOVE the CRD for towing.

I vote go for it. Read up on the N23 Recall and avoid if possible.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Quinny
2006 WK 

I've had more trouble with my wk Hemi, in 2 months, than I've ever had with my old 4.7 wj in 9 years.....

I suspect this will probably be my last jeep..
Quinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

How do you avoid it? Sounds like most of the Wks are getting it. Can you alaberate ? I don't have time to read that whole thread b/c it's like 400 pages long.
Unread 11-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
cobra259
2006 WK 

You have to remember one thing....People don't come on these forums to say how good there car is. They come here or help, and yes sometimes to complain about there cars. I'm a member f many forums even a mod on one. That's just the way it is. You NEVER read posts about how good a car is.
Unread 11-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
Jtav2012
2005 WK 

I'll break that rule then, I've only had one electrical problem and it was entirely due to someone jamming my umbrella under the passenger seat from behind and knocking around my passenger air bag sensor.

Plus the N23 recall breaking my 4-lo, but I was able to grab a junkyard (graveyard, the thing was sitting there for a year) FDCM to fix that. This might be a concern.

Other than that it's been 30,000 smooth miles (80k-110k)
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
BlackPrintz
2005 WK 

I'm not really sure what the electrical or other problems are. I bought my WK with 50,000+ kms and I now have just shy of 200,000 kms. I lifted it at around 150,000 kms and have wheeled it once or twice a month since. It is also my daily driver. I have serviced it regularly but have not taken it in for any of the current recalls. I told the service manager that if something 'could possibly fail', and it's lasted this long, I don't feel it's a big concern to me. After reading about the problems that people have encountered, I have no desire to let them experiment on mine. I could not afford to lose 4LO. My WK is the best and most versatile vehicle I've owned during the past 40 years. It's comfortable on the road, has taken us on numerous 5000 km road trips, towed a heavily loaded tandem cargo trailer when we moved (twice), let's me play off-road when I want, and still gets admiring stares at 10 years old. Now that I've got a Superchips Tuner, I'm even more pleased with it than I was before. Sorry for the ramble but I like my Jeep.
Black WK #139
05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, 2" R.C. lift, 32s, K&N, MagnaFlow, 4xGuard Skids, Custom Rock Rails
BlackPrintz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra259 View Post
You have to remember one thing....People don't come on these forums to say how good there car is. They come here or help, and yes sometimes to complain about there cars. I'm a member f many forums even a mod on one. That's just the way it is. You NEVER read posts about how good a car is.

Pretty much. It should be noted that threads on this board are not nearly as frequent as they were when I was rolling with my WJ all those many moons ago.

161,000, bought at 30,000 with the lift slapped on right after purchase. I'm not in the least bit worried about the electrical stuff or the running gear.

They scrimped on the interior bits though, like the leather and door handles. No biggie, but Daimler did them no favors.
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
WKFish
2005 WK 

I dont think there is that much wrong with the wk... I love mine although i'm selling for a 4 door unlimited or LJ not quite sure yet. One thing I can say about the WK QDII transmission is I was driving loops around all of the wranglers out at silver lake. Silver lake is all sand and my jeep was climbing the dunes better than Rubi's I even climbed test hill backwards to show off!
WKFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

Well all of this is pretty encouraging. Especially the part about silver lake. Do you have a hemi or diesel? I'm kind of wondering how the diesel would perform up there. My 5.9 zj hauls the mail in the sand.
Unread 11-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
WKFish
2005 WK 

It's neither its actually a 4.7L with superchips flashpaq, flowmaster exhaust and K&N CAI. It was such a beast if you get a WK make sure you get the QDII tranny it makes the difference I talked with two other WK owners out there and they had the basic tranny and QTII and couldn't climb test hill.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yGp...hbCn_6v-h_8m4Q Heres a video i took not the best mount is on the taillight guard. The noise is my cb antenna flexing.
Unread 11-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
LouC
2007 WK 

I have an 07 WK Hemi/QDII and have run it on the beach extensively. For the beach it needs larger section tires (like going from a 245/65-17 to a 245/70-17, that is an inch taller gives you 1/2" more clearance and airs down better). It also needs stiffer shocks for sure. The OE shocks are way too soft. A slight lift up front (if you could get Bilstein 5100s with the adjustable spring buckets that would be ideal but they are hard to find now) is advised because the front of the WK is very low compared to a ZJ. We have both, the 98 ZJ and the 07 WK. The WK has great traction but not enough clearance and suspension is too soft. Also, if you go off road where there are sticks, roots, etc sticking up, you need some protection for the area under the front bumper/radiator. There are a couple of hydraulic lines there that you don't want snagged, the 4X Guard skid works great for this purpose.
As far as reliability, my WK has been more reliable generally than the ZJ, but the WK is also much more complex, and somewhat prone to electronic issues (check engine lights, for O2 sensors, defective ignition switches that cause the gauges to go haywire, etc). Its bigger and heavier than a ZJ but not bigger inside. Harder to see out of too. Much better high speed handling, steering and braking than the ZJ as expected. Hemi+Chrysler electronic 5 speed auto trans+QDII very very nice. Smooth, fast and strong.

So the answer is, no they are not that bad, be careful and buy the best one you can find.
Unread 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #13
EvolveGTR
2005 WK 

If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Only problem is we live in Michigan and that means more salty roads in the winter than the ocean. Avoiding electrical problems, rust, seized parts is near impossible. But that's exactly why you want a Jeep. Fairly cheap to fix, last a long time, and are hella fun!
EvolveGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #14
pawwright

CRD was only available for 2007 and 2008 years in the US and Canada, I believe. You will definitely miss the seats from the Silverado and 98 Grand Cherokee. I had both an older Avy, ZJ, and WJ, and all those seats were plush compared to the WK. I really have no real complaints about my CRD WK - usual stuff that others have talked about in other posts - dealer did the N23 when I had it in for an state inspection, gear for the recirculating door breaking, leather seats coming apart at certain seam points, and I nearly ripped the door handles off the Jeep last winter when the doors froze to the frame....I enjoy the towing and mileage. Has been great in the winter and on the local gravel roads..
pawwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #15
unobtanium
2010 WK 

The Hemi is a brick ****house. The 545RFE is okay. The AWD systems are pretty good. Build quality is decent. Problems Per Hundred/the odds of "having a nagging issue" are "typical Chrysler" (not favorable for the buyer), but this is one of Chrysler's "ok" products, not one of their complete failures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.