WK auxilary transmission cooler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK auxilary transmission cooler?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-01-2007, 02:23 AM   #1
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

WK auxilary transmission cooler?

has anyone added an auxilary transmission cooler to their WK? while off roading i have on two occasions had to call it quits when the EVIC displays "transmission over temp". i really want to avoid this. i also want to add a trans temp guage, dont yet know where it will go, but i want to add one so i can keep an eye on it. any one else done any of this?

Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
tednelson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
nierace
2003 WJ 

Are you wheeling in 4lo? Try locking it in gear as well so it doesnt shift, shouldn't really over heat while offroading

What kind of offroading are you doing? Dune jumping ?
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
LOL whats what I was thinking. Any way, this is what went on my WJ. Maxi-CoolTMSix Pass and its pretty simple to install. I was towing with the WJ at the time, so is may be overkill... I don't know if you can add a trans temp to the WK. You mite have to crawl under it and look for a port in the tranny to install the sending unit.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
Are you wheeling in 4lo? Try locking it in gear as well so it doesnt shift, shouldn't really over heat while offroading

god i wish i could! my GC unfortunately has no Lo. i screwed up when i bought it, and i have found that it would be impractical to change to the nv245. when i wheel i do run it in first gear. i really wish i had better gearing, i find that i need to take some obstacles a bit faster than i would normally want to. the last time i had the tranny overheat i was attempting to pull a rocky, steep 4wd hill. i have done it before, but this time i had my buddy with me. not sure if that had anything to do with it.

i have however decided that i BADLY need to add an auxiliary trans cooler possibly with a blower fan on it. front of the radiator is the best place i can think of for it. i would route the fluid from the tranny into the aux cooler, than into the factory radiator, than back to the tranny.

anyone else done this? and any suggestions, ideas?
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
tednelson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
jeep_on

Hey,

I was looking around for goodies for my truck and ran across this: Vulcan Transmission Temp Gauge Adapter. This will allow you to install the temp gauge you want. Also, I wouldn't route the fluid back to the radiator cooler. Its obviously not doing the job now and may just heat the fluid back up again to 195F. I'd just get the biggest cooler you can find and install that as is. That should take care of the over heating problem.

Just thought you'd be able to use that adapter. Finding a sender and a gauge won't for that adapter won't be hard.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.