WK 5.7L Hemi self destruction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK 5.7L Hemi self destruction

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

WK 5.7L Hemi self destruction

Hey guys, figured I'd take the time to discuss an issue that occurred with my 5.7 WK that ended in it needing a new motor. A little background on the Jeep...it's a 2010 WK Laredo with the Hemi engine. We've had it since new and have been meticulous with maintenance on it. It currently has 48k miles and developed a big problem. I started it up one night to go to dinner and all of a sudden the check engine light came on. Motor seemed to be running ok so I figured it would be ok for the 3 mile drive to the restaurant. On the way I noticed it wouldn't shift into 5th gear and the MDS was not functioning (I assume when the CEL comes on the computer doesn't allow these certain functions). Anyway, we got home and I pulled codes (P0016 and P0014) for the camshaft timing. Camshaft position out of phase with crankshaft. Cleared the codes and took it for a ride and it seemed to be ok. Next morning I start it up and the check engine light came back on and it was running extremely rough, same codes.

After taking it to the dealership and 2 weeks of diagnosis and repairs, the dealership finally put in a request to Chrysler for a new motor. I do want to mention that it only had about 1800 miles left until it was out of warranty, so thank God it happened now. At first, Chrysler told the technician to replace the camshaft position sensor, timing chain and cover, phasers and cover., and reset the timing. They did and the codes were gone for the camshaft misalignment, however it now developed a misfire. After a compression test and injector test, the technician finally dove into the motor and found bent pushrods (I knew this was the beginning of the end). Upon further investigation the tech removed the valve covers and dropped the oil pan and found a ton of metal in the motor.

Currently, we are waiting for Chrysler to approve a new motor for the Jeep. Hopefully they will, as it's clear the vehicle needs it. I just can't believe the motor failed like this with so little miles. The technician has been with Chrysler for 22 years and he said that these motors have been flawless for so long but recently he's seen a bunch of them jumping timing on their own out of nowhere. He said he had a WK SRT8 and a Durango with the 5.7 come in for the same issue. Luckily for those he replaced the timing chain and camshaft sensor and they were fine.

The funny part is, I recently did an oil change on it and sent a sample to Blacksone labs for an oil analysis. The report came back showing high metals, particularly that of the pistons and rods. I guess this was a foreshadow of what was to come. Here we are 1000 miles later and it needs a new motor. A couple of my Jeep friends and I seem to feel it's somewhat related to the VCT system introduced to the Hemi motor in 2009. I mentioned this to the tech and he said its a possibility but he doesn't think so. Any ideas what could cause an issue like this?

I figured I would post a thread on here as I really couldn't find any information regarding this issue on the Internet. Has anyone else heard of this issue with the Hemi motors? I will continue to update this thread as the process continues. Here's to hoping Chrysler comes through and takes responsibility for their product.

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
04Overland47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Jeep Brian

Damn! Glad it happened under warr.

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Overland47 View Post
Hey guys, figured I'd take the time to discuss an issue that occurred with my 5.7 WK that ended in it needing a new motor. A little background on the Jeep...it's a 2010 WK Laredo with the Hemi engine. We've had it since new and have been meticulous with maintenance on it. It currently has 48k miles and developed a big problem. I started it up one night to go to dinner and all of a sudden the check engine light came on. Motor seemed to be running ok so I figured it would be ok for the 3 mile drive to the restaurant. On the way I noticed it wouldn't shift into 5th gear and the MDS was not functioning (I assume when the CEL comes on the computer doesn't allow these certain functions). Anyway, we got home and I pulled codes (P0016 and P0014) for the camshaft timing. Camshaft position out of phase with crankshaft. Cleared the codes and took it for a ride and it seemed to be ok. Next morning I start it up and the check engine light came back on and it was running extremely rough, same codes.

After taking it to the dealership and 2 weeks of diagnosis and repairs, the dealership finally put in a request to Chrysler for a new motor. I do want to mention that it only had about 1800 miles left until it was out of warranty, so thank God it happened now. At first, Chrysler told the technician to replace the camshaft position sensor, timing chain and cover, phasers and cover., and reset the timing. They did and the codes were gone for the camshaft misalignment, however it now developed a misfire. After a compression test and injector test, the technician finally dove into the motor and found bent pushrods (I knew this was the beginning of the end). Upon further investigation the tech removed the valve covers and dropped the oil pan and found a ton of metal in the motor.

Currently, we are waiting for Chrysler to approve a new motor for the Jeep. Hopefully they will, as it's clear the vehicle needs it. I just can't believe the motor failed like this with so little miles. The technician has been with Chrysler for 22 years and he said that these motors have been flawless for so long but recently he's seen a bunch of them jumping timing on their own out of nowhere. He said he had a WK SRT8 and a Durango with the 5.7 come in for the same issue. Luckily for those he replaced the timing chain and camshaft sensor and they were fine.

The funny part is, I recently did an oil change on it and sent a sample to Blacksone labs for an oil analysis. The report came back showing high metals, particularly that of the pistons and rods. I guess this was a foreshadow of what was to come. Here we are 1000 miles later and it needs a new motor. A couple of my Jeep friends and I seem to feel it's somewhat related to the VCT system introduced to the Hemi motor in 2009. I mentioned this to the tech and he said its a possibility but he doesn't think so. Any ideas what could cause an issue like this?

I figured I would post a thread on here as I really couldn't find any information regarding this issue on the Internet. Has anyone else heard of this issue with the Hemi motors? I will continue to update this thread as the process continues. Here's to hoping Chrysler comes through and takes responsibility for their product.

"Random failure".

I really can't think of anything better to say. Maybe there was a bad batch of something. The motor's architecture seems very solid from everything I've ever read or seen. It's like a ham-fisted version of GM's LSX series motors.
Unread 11-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Tekn0logy
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Overland47 View Post

Wow... Does the 5.7 Hemi have timing chain with solid metal sprockets and timing chain, a timing belt or heaven forbid a nylon coated sprocket? I've seen the nylon sprockets self destruct on old GM engines causing jumped timing, but that was years ago.
Tekn0logy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
LouC
2007 WK 

I heard of this on some of the Challengers, but I have no idea if its more prevalent on certain years or others. Hoping I never have to deal with that. I'm at close to 80K miles now.
Unread 11-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
lavern23
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My 06 did the same thing at 48k miles. They put in a new motor and at 130k it just dropped a valve seat. I put in a Jasper reman.
lavern23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Wow, at least you're getting a new motor out of it. I had a Cadillac Northstar engine replaced under warranty with just 44,000 miles. It was just a bad block casting in the production line! It happens. The new motor was flawless for the next 100,000 miles that I owned it. I'm sure your new Hemi will as well.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Thanks for all the input guys! I believe the Hemi has a timing chain with solid sprockets. I'd like to chock it up to a bad motor from the beginning, but if it's happening to other Hemi motors then clearly there is a problem that Chrysler needs to address.

Lavern23, it's funny that your 06 did the same thing. This is the first case I'm hearing about a similar failure on a non-VCT motor. The Jeeps that it's happened to (that I know of so far) have all been later models, 2009+. And most, if not all, of the Challengers out there now have VCT/VVT as well.

I'm a huge fan of the modern Hemi motors as it's a tightly built and sophisticated engine design. We had a 2007 Charger R/T with the same motor and that was an awesome car for the 50k miles we owned it. It's now close to 100k and still going strong. In the end I hope Chrysler stands behind their product and they come through with a new motor.

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
Unread 12-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Well Chrysler approved a new short block with new heads . Dealership said we should have it back by Monday. Still can't believe all the damage to the original motor with only 48k miles.

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
Unread 12-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Great news!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
Jeep Brian

Glad to hear she's getting fixed

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
WKeer
2007 WK 

This thread is taking me back...

The Jeep I had before the one I am currently in was an '05 WK with the 3.7. Timing chain broke at 44K and all of the things that go with that happened. Jeep replaced the engine (was out of town at the time) but when I got it back, the CEL light was on and codes would not go away. Traded it in one day later on a WK with a hemi and haven't looked back - am at 165K and she runs like a top.
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
Marcus86GLHS

first of all congrats on even owning one of the very few Hemi Laredos! you need to post up a few pix of it. secondly, congrats on getting in under the warranty cut-off, close call indeed.

glad the corporation is not stringing you along too badly.

for a few years the Hemi WK's came with a non-transferable Lifetime Warranty on the engine and major drive line hardware. That is what my 2008 came with when I bought it new.

When did Jeep stop the Lifetime engine warranty?

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS
first of all congrats on even owning one of the very few Hemi Laredos! you need to post up a few pix of it. secondly, congrats on getting in under the warranty cut-off, close call indeed. glad the corporation is not stringing you along too badly. for a few years the Hemi WK's came with a non-transferable Lifetime Warranty on the engine and major drive line hardware. That is what my 2008 came with when I bought it new. When did Jeep stop the Lifetime engine warranty?
Thanks! Unfortunately Chrysler has been stringing us along. The dealership has had the Jeep for 5 weeks as of yesterday. In the beginning, Chrysler wanted the tech to replace the timing chain and cover, phasors, and camshaft position sensor. The tech did and it still had a misfire. Next, Chrysler told him to tear down the motor and inspect for bent/worn/broken parts. The tech found that a few rods were bent. Chrysler told him to replace the rods and reassemble. He did and it was still not running right. Finally Chrysler told the tech to tear down the whole motor again and make a list of everything it needs. He did and Chrysler finally approved a short block with new heads. Now, the dealership has the new block but the head are apparently on national backorder :. My family and I have owned 6 Grand Cherokees over the years and have never had any problems with Chrysler. But now when push comes to shove, I find it a bit insulting that this is how they treat their customers with warranty work.

In addition, the tech does not get paid by Chrysler or the dealership for doing the RR on warranty vehicles. He will only get 9 hours of pay for the motor swap (which we all know takes more than 9 hours). Amazing how Chrysler treats their technician of 22 years.

As for the warranty, I could only wish it had a lifetime warranty on the powertrain. I know this is not a common failure, but who's to say this won't happen again in another 40k miles?!

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Here are some pics. I'll have to find some more later on.

image-1977897873.jpg

image-2134510071.jpg

image-2289775028.jpg

image-1295613451.jpg

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.