WK 5.7 Hemi Crank position Sensor Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK 5.7 Hemi Crank position Sensor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
bmill
1998 ZJ 

WK 5.7 Hemi Crank position Sensor Failure

I just thought I would share my experience for others to learn from.

Yesterday, I drove the jeep 35mins home from work. Then 30 mins later, I jumped back in for a couple of errands and that's when trouble started. The jeep under throttle was bucking heavily and stalling out after ~3 seconds of bucking and then threw a CEL. I decided to park it and grab some tools and an OBDII scanner. Tried turning it off and back on a few times with no change. Pulled a P0330 Random cylinder misfire code from the computer. Decided to unplug the battery and reset everything and try again...After 15 mins, hooked everything back up and went to fire the beast up....nothing but cranking for 15 seconds. The jeep then threw another code and went into limp mode...Next try the jeep fired up. The new code was a P0335 Crank Position Sensor Circuit malfunction code. The jeep ran smooth just didn't have any power so I ended up limping it back to a dealer here in Indy.

The dealer then confirmed both codes stored in memory and recommended changing the cam sensor along with the crank position sensor "because they share the same reference signal". I ended up just having the crank position sensor replaced and every seems to be running fine. I'll report back in a week or so to see if it's still gone. Total cost from the dealer was $205. Would have done it myself, but I'm just too busy lately and need my Jeep working.

I have had some random long cranking starts but besides that have had no problems. Yet to see if the two were related.

Unread 09-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
icecreamman
2005 WK 

Does anybody know where is the sensor located? I can't find any diagrams or references to its loacation in the factory service manual. I'm having the exact same problem and bought the sensor.

If you can explain the easiest method to change on a QDII HEMI that would be even more helpful.

Thanks in advance
icecreamman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
fajita123
2005 WK 

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I'm having the same issue. Can anyone provide some guidance on both the crank and camshaft sensor locations? How difficult would they be to replace at home?

Thanks!
fajita123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajita123 View Post
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I'm having the same issue. Can anyone provide some guidance on both the crank and camshaft sensor locations? How difficult would they be to replace at home?

Thanks!
Crank sensor is located on the passenger side of the block towards the back of the engine.The cam sensor is located underneath the AC compressor,just right of the EGR valve(as your looking at the front of the engine).Just a hint,you want a totally cold engine for changing the cam sensor as the back of your hand tends to rest on the EGR valve when changing it out.
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The crankshaft position sensor is on the passenger side underneath. Near the mid to rear on the bottom of the motor.

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
fajita123
2005 WK 

Thanks so much guys!
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
thisisrediculus
2005 WK 

i changed the crankshaft sensor myself and its fairly easy. i removed the engine skid plate for easy access, unplug it, and theres only one bolt holdin it in. i picked the sensor up at the dealer for like 45 bucks. i think i got robbed cause ive heard of someone gettin it for like 20 bucks but i saved by changin it myself so no big deal.... theres another sensor a little higher and closer to the center of the block i was thinkin that was the camshaft sensor but maybe im wrong
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisrediculus View Post
i changed the crankshaft sensor myself and its fairly easy. i removed the engine skid plate for easy access, unplug it, and theres only one bolt holdin it in. i picked the sensor up at the dealer for like 45 bucks. i think i got robbed cause ive heard of someone gettin it for like 20 bucks but i saved by changin it myself so no big deal.... theres another sensor a little higher and closer to the center of the block i was thinkin that was the camshaft sensor but maybe im wrong
That other sensor was the knock sensor.From 15 years worth of experiance Chryslers only really like OEM sensors,yeah they cost a little more but it's worth it in the long run.
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
fajita123
2005 WK 

Just thought I'd share - for me it turned out the PCM needed to be flashed with a cam-related TSB. Stealership took care of this (for a fee) and all good now.
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
ddk1
2005 WK 

Hi all,

I just had this happen to me tonight. On the way home from dinner, the jeep started to buck, and the check engine light began to flash. So I pulled over and plugged in my superchips and sure enough, crank shaft position sensor threw a code, causing cylinder misfires.

The jeep had been programmed with the economy 87 tune, so I re-flashed it to stock tune and cleared the DTC's. Sure enough, she fired right up and I drove the rest of the way home with no issue, no bucking, etc.

Am I out of the clear? Should I change the sensor anyways? The Jeep has 72,XXX miles on it, is it about the time this sensor typically fails?
ddk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
fajita123
2005 WK 

I was able to clear mine as well. After clearing the code, most times it would drive fine but the odd trip it would "buck" or "surge" (almost felt like it was missing for a second) at random times. I changed out the part ($45 at the dealership) and it hasn't happened since. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to wait and see what happens, but it's an easy fix if the problem persists.
Unread 10-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
SampsonSimpson
2006 WK 

I had this same problem about 3 weeks ago. I had 2 codes that pointed to the crankshaft sensor. I just bought one from Autozone for like 16 bucks. And its really easy to change, one bolt and one plug, it is in kind of crappy spot. Underneath the passenger side, and it is possible to change with the skid plate on.
SampsonSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I bought both (cam and crank) sensors for my Hemi when I changed the cam. In the end I decided not to change them though, since they're relatively easy to change. I will carry them in my vehicle "emergency kit" though, in case I have a problem on the road. Cheap insurance, both for ~$65 from the stealer. My DashHawk has a built in code reader, as does either the DS or SC tuner, so it would be easy to diagnose. I also carry a listing of all the Diagnostic Trouble Codes and what they mean.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.