WK 4" Superlift 285/70R17 Liner Mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK 4" Superlift 285/70R17 Liner Mod

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
JboroJohn
2005 WK 

WK 4" Superlift 285/70R17 Liner Mod

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee has traveled about 60,000 miles with its 4" Superlift, Jeep Chrome Rogue 7.5" wide wheels with 1" spacers, and 285/70R17 Bridgestone AT Revo tires. At 32.8' diameter these tires have always rubbed slightly on the "bump" in the front wheel well liners over the pinch weld. It rubs more on the right side than the left. The pinch weld was bent over when the kit was installed but the liner was not screwed down to the bent over pinch weld. Rubbing seemed much less common then than it is now.

After about 40,000 miles the liner was pulled loose, worn through and had to be taped with Gorilla Tape. I finally got tired of that and replaced the liners when rack & pinion and tie rod ends were replaced. The mechanic, without my consent, cut away far too much of the liners, so that I believed they would act like scoops for road gravel and also for gumbo when it built up on the tires. The dealer replaced the liners at no cost, but he would not screw the liner to the bent over pinch weld as recommended in the Superlift installation instructions.

I have the following questions. Why do I have so much rubbing with 33" tires when Superlift instructions say they should clear? Do stock 7.5" wide wheels vs 8.5" wheels make much difference in the rolling diameter? Does anyone have pictures or more detailed instructions about how the liner should be screwed down to a reshaped or bent over pinch weld? Bent over in my case. It looks to me like, instead of cutting off the whole bottom of the liner as the mechanic did, the outside of the "bump" could be cut out and the remaining flap of the liner's “bump” bent down and secured in place. Any gap could be taped over with Gorilla Tape. Does anyone have any experience with modifying the liner that way? Screwing the liner to the bent over pinch weld would probably work better.

Thank You,
John

JboroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Use a heat gun and self tappers - good to go.

Don't have great pics of the screw locations but here are some from my build thread:
img_0987.jpg   img_0995.jpg   img_0996.jpg   img_0997.jpg  

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
Use a heat gun and self tappers - good to go.

Don't have great pics of the screw locations but here are some from my build thread:
Any worry about those screws backing out at all?
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ I haven't noticed them budge to this point.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.