WK 3000 lumen light upgrade! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK 3000 lumen light upgrade!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

WK 3000 lumen light upgrade!

Update at bottom of post
Seeing as there's no actual thread that details/documents A) what to buy and B) how to install this, I figured I put this here.

I came from owning a 98 XJ, where the headlights sucked, but the upgrade was easy enough with a new wiring harness, new H4 eCode lamps, and Hella H4 bulbs. It was straightforward and easy to install. And that's what I was expecting with the WK.

NOPE!

Lets be fair, the low beams on the WK suck. Thankfully you can get some Philips 9011 series 3000 lumen bulbs that are easy to modify to fit in the WK.

Tools needed:
-a flathead screw driver or knife for the plastic rivets (or a plastic rivet remover, which I highly suggest)
-ratchet
-10mm socket

1) Buy the bulbs. I used rallylights.com (Susquhanna Motorsports) for these bulbs. Warning: If you're in Canada/international, Susquehanna uses UPS, so you'll have to wear a $40-$50 brokerage/duties charge. Make sure you ask for USPS, it's almost a guarantee that there'll be no charge. It'll just take longer to get the package. Update Jan 2015: Susquehanna now offers USPS in their check-out, you no longer to specify it. When I ordered, I bought 4 bulbs to lower the average cost when including shipping and duty/taxes. For my 4 bulbs, I paid around $15 in taxes/duty.

2) Modify the new bulbs. The red area is what you need to remove. I used an 8" metal file.

Update 2015: If you are only replacing low or high bulbs, you may skip steps 3, 4, and 5. It's a tight fit, but if you're careful, and you contort your hand you can remove and re-install the new bulbs without much of a fight. However if you plan on removing the headlight unit proper, you'll need to remove the bumper as there is a plastic tab that prevents easy removal of the headlight unit.

3) Open your hood. Pull the plastic rivets holding the grill. Pull the bumper. There's, IIRC, 6 metal screws (1 on top, 1 on either side in the wheel wells, and 3 below the bumper attached to the plastic skid) and several plastic rivets. This'll take some time, but if you're careful, it'll be okay. I tried using the Factory Service Manual, but that only told me where the headlight unit screws were.

4) Pull the black "skeleton" bracket that's behind the bumper. It's secured by 2 screws.

5) Unscrew the 3 screws holding in the headlight unit. You'll need to jimmy the light out.

6) Twist out the old low beam (Lows are on the outboard side above the turn signal)

7) Install new lights. On the left is the new Philips bulb, with the old grey bulb on the left. The old ones (on the left) and the new Philps bulbs use rails inside the light to slot into the headlight plug. The new ones, because they use 2 rails instead of the stock single rail, will need some force to fit onto the plug. Rest assured they DO fit.

8) Enjoy brighter lights! With the greater light input, you can really see how sharp the cut-off is from the lamp unit itself.

Update Jan 2015:

The bulbs burned out on me, about a week apart from one another. So I got just over 2 years of usage out of them. I also discovered that removing the bumper was made exceptionally more difficult by having the 4XG front skid. To get at the 3 bottom bolts on the bumper, you have to snake a wrench through the opening slats. When I saw this, I figured I'd give it another go with contorting my hand to change the bulbs, as per several users who very politely ( ) suggested that there was absolutely no need to remove the bumper, if you could contort your hands.

So, to change the high or low bulbs, there is no requirement to remove the bumper! However, if you want to get access to the headlight unit proper - to remove it - my experience is that bumper removal is still required.

My DIY walkthrough is still pertinent (up to step 2) as I show a comparison of the bulbs, and which bit of plastic needs removal for successful installation in our WKs.

This is an easy upgrade, one that I would very highly recommend to all WK owners.

RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
gamma500
2005 WK 

You have to remove the bumper on a 07 WK to gain access to the low beam bulb..?.. I can get to my 05 bulbs without all this, just a bit of hand contortions.
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma500 View Post
You have to remove the bumper on a 07 WK to gain access to the low beam bulb..?.. I can get to my 05 bulbs without all this, just a bit of hand contortions.
I tried that route, but I couldn't contort my hands to get the bulb out. I tried just pulling the headlight unit itself, but there's a plastic tab at the bottom that the unit hooks into, preventing any sort of easy removal.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

I changed all the bulbs on my 08 like a month ago, no special bulbs or anything, just some newer higher output, I don't remember what.

But It was hard to get to some of the bulbs, especially the side markers, even with the little door under the wheel well, it was almost impossible to get to. I just pull both headlight assemblies out without removing the bumper.

But this is a nice little write-up.... Thanks
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Kolak
Vendor

Consider adding a headlamp relay harness to route power directly to the bulbs from the battery. I have those available if you're interested - send me a PM for more information.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
imthehink
2005 WK 

Cheaper here:http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HIR1-9...words=9011+hir
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Guys these are the best light upgrade out there for the WK and really blow almost all aftermarket LEGAL lights out of the water. I was also running some H4 Cibie lights and removed them since they get washed out with the highbeams on.

Hilldweller who is probably one of the most famous internet light guys out there has tested my WK with these lights.....you can see his response at the links below....

It is imperative that you make sure your lights are adjusted because if you are pointing high you will get a lot of flashes from on coming traffic.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...kee-CRD-Lights

ETA...OP there is no need for you to take off the front bumper to remove and replace bulbs....

ETA2...I also run a plug and play harness as well....Ray at Susqehanna Motorsports (Rally Lights) made mine for me.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the 9011 bulbs compatible to our 9005 high beam bulbs? If so then you would not only need to modify the tab as shown in your photo but you would have to notch down one of the tabs on the actual plug as well.

I used to put high beam bulbs in my old wj by doing this, but only with some silverstars. I have 9012 hir in my lows now, but now I'm thinking about putting the 9011 in both the high, low, and fogs.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
jjt250
2007 WK 

Sorry but I'm getting a bit confused now....

This one is for highs?
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HIR1-9...words=9011+hir

And this one is for lows?
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HIR2-S...gy_auto_text_y

Right? Also, is a relay harness necessary or not?
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Sorry but I'm getting a bit confused now....

This one is for highs?
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HIR1-9...words=9011+hir

And this one is for lows?
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HIR2-S...gy_auto_text_y

Right? Also, is a relay harness necessary or not?
Correct on the bulbs...

To maximize the light output of the bulbs a harness would be beneficial, but is not necessary.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29

Correct on the bulbs...

To maximize the light output of the bulbs a harness would be beneficial, but is not necessary.
How is this possible? They run off the same amount of power as the stock ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong but people run harnesses with Hids because they don't draw enough power.
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Kolak
Vendor

There's typically a significant voltage drop through the stock wiring, even with the stock bulbs. The relay harness will route power directly from the battery when you turn on the lamps, nearly eliminating the voltage drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post
How is this possible? They run off the same amount of power as the stock ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong but people run harnesses with Hids because they don't draw enough power.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Larger gauge wire has less resistance. Smaller wire can potentially "choke" the amount of current that can pass through. While its true that the voltage will always measure the same, the larger wire can allow the light to shine more brilliant. Of course you will only see a difference if the stock wiring happens to be small enough to start "choking" the amount of current that the light bulb would like to draw. About 10 years ago I installed a wiring harness in my Toyota corolla. I hooked the low and high beam up to the harness on one side and left the other side hooked to the stock wiring for a comparison. I parked in front of my garage door at night. The difference it made was unbelievable
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak
There's typically a significant voltage drop through the stock wiring, even with the stock bulbs. The relay harness will route power directly from the battery when you turn on the lamps, nearly eliminating the voltage drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008
Larger gauge wire has less resistance. Smaller wire can potentially "choke" the amount of current that can pass through. While its true that the voltage will always measure the same, the larger wire can allow the light to shine more brilliant. Of course you will only see a difference if the stock wiring happens to be small enough to start "choking" the amount of current that the light bulb would like to draw. About 10 years ago I installed a wiring harness in my Toyota corolla. I hooked the low and high beam up to the harness on one side and left the other side hooked to the stock wiring for a comparison. I parked in front of my garage door at night. The difference it made was unbelievable
So basically harnesses will make any bulb shine brighter? That's pretty cool.

Kolak, I assume these harnesses would work with hids as well? Can you pm me a price for two to 19148.
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
thedude411
2008 WK 

You should be able to buy relay wiring kits from theretrofitsource.com
thedude411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.