WK 08 CRD - What would you upgrade first? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > WK 08 CRD - What would you upgrade first?

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
plunix
2008 WK 

WK 08 CRD - What would you upgrade first?

I've read a lot about things to tackle in this car to get it running smoothly.

I'm leaning towards getting the GDE tune soon, but there's so much more that really needs to be addressed at the same time.

cb-engineer.com seems like a great site for performance mods too.

It's cold up here in Canada so I haven't even checked my intake pipe yet to see if it's been upgraded. I might get that metal one from the cb website. Not sure if the CCV reroute is a good idea yet though.

What would you guys recommend regarding the most important modifications to do first?

plunix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

its been discussed 1000 times
search it up

personally i wish i would have done GDE first
Unread 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
mushkasdad
2008 WK 

I bought mine 12/1/14,
Have put 6,000 mile on to get a baseline.
Changed intake tube, had orange seal. Still in good shape.
So far vey pleased, waiting for warmer weather to pull trigger GDE eco with dpf delete seems biggest bang for buck.
mushkasdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
plunix
2008 WK 

Sorry. Thanks. I'll look into it more.

I was reading that the CCV and the EGR together cause a mess. My idea is that if I take care of the EGR with the GDE tune, it would be a lot less of a problem for my system, until I decide on a CCV reroute. Does this make sense?

Are the only 2 intake tubes the MOPAR revision and the cb engineering model? I'm leaning towards not getting the mopar pipe because CCV reroute is probably going to be done in the future anyway. Is this a good plan?
plunix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
joe989
2008 WK 

I would go GDE tune, and DPF delete, infact thats what I intend to do, then a super lift, as for the reroute, I'm not convinced it's the best idea to go into the exhaust, the exhaust has some pressure to it, and you dont want to blow a crank seal because the air has nowhere to vent, and the turbo creates a negative pressure on the line, so I'm not sure if the engineers for the engine want the crankcase vent to work with the turbo's suction. I think if you have an 08 or above you have the upgraded one.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

I bought the upgraded Mopar intake (black seal) pipe, which stopped the oil leak onto the swirl motor. Haven't sprung for the GDE Eco tune yet, but am carrying a few resistors to bypass the swirl if/when it dies (I'm at 174,000km). I have opted not to do the CCV mod (elephant hose or EHM), as I've read several posts from northern owners that condensation can freeze in the hose during colder weather and block the pipe. EHM seems to work well enough for people in southern climates, but that can't include Canada IMHO, unless you drive exclusively on Vancouver Island and environs.....

Other than that, all my expenditures on my 08 CRD Ltd have been on catching up on maintenance items that should have been done by the previous owner (or the repair issues caused by poor maintenance by PO) - tires, glow plugs, fluids, 4x4 service, etc).
Unread 03-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
mushkasdad
2008 WK 

I also am avoiding EHM, just a personal choice.
mushkasdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
OM642WK
2007 WK 

Catch up any maintenance items listed in the maintenance manual. Then GDE, you'll love the performance and it negates EGR and Swirl Motor problems. Then, depending on how you're going to use it, maybe armor. Read Omelets build and have fun.
OM642WK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
TangoTango
2008 WK 

In CA ... check the tank for rust on the bottom .. and address that asap. You'll need to remove the skid plate to check it. I would do that first.

Next the GDE tune is a no-brainer. ... with a DPF delete pipe if you can. In my application I get better mileage with the HOT tune vs. the econo tune.. so I'm running the hot tune.

Then the CCV re-route and the best one IMO is the one that feeds into the exhaust (same as the marine diesel engines do it). or next is a catch can like a diesel cummins does it.

Then.. personal preference...
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #10
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

is the steel under the tank the skid or is that the actual tank?
cause i dont have a gas tank skid per say cause i bought the tcase skid and can mount it

i assumed if i dropped the steel "gas tank" then the tank would drop lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.