Wire rope for spare tire winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Wire rope for spare tire winch

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
ingikarl
2008 WK 

Wire rope for spare tire winch

The wire rope of the spare wheel lowering winch mechanism got twisted and damaged on my JGC 2008 WK Diesel 3.0L. Does anyone know if/where I can buy a fitting replacement wire rope only?
(I am trying to avoid having to buy the whole winch)

ingikarl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Dusty280
2008 WK 

Try your local junk yards. The wire should be the same on any 2005-2008 jeep grand cherokee.
Dusty280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
555ctsv
2006 WK 

Maybe you could substitute something? Garage doors sometimes have cable that looks similar in thickness to what the winch uses. Im not sure how the ends are done though

06 WK Limited 4x4 Racing Solutions 6.4L 392 Stroker HEMI - 2" Daystar / 255-75-17 BFG MT's / SpiderTrax 1.5" / SRT8 Exhaust / K&N Intake / HID Headlights and Fogs / Alto Red Eagle Clutch Packs / Transgo Shift Kit / Diablo Trinity / Bilstein Shocks / Rear SRT Sway / Deeza Front End Links
555ctsv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
ingikarl
2008 WK 

Thanks Dusty280 and 555ctsv,
I will check these possibilities and le you know the result.
Unread 12-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
sabre364
2007 WK 

Are you under warranty? I screwed up my winch by overtorqueing it when it had no load (i just threw the flat tire in the back) and they replaced the whole assembly.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

That's a great idea....if it's under warranty, the stealership should fix it.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
ingikarl
2008 WK 

sabre364, I did exactly the same as you. Unfortunately the warranty is no longer valid because I exported the car from the USA to Europe. I am checking with local wire workshops, but probably I wil have to buy the whole unit because it is not simple to replace the wire only. Only problem is that the complete unit installed will cost about USD 250-300 with shipping and local taxes included
Unread 12-30-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
ingikarl
2008 WK 

Buying a new winch

My luck: A friend travelling to the USA is going tp pick up a new winch for me. Having inspected the winch more closely I see that the plastic housing is also damaged so it is practically beyond repair.
I must say, however, that this winch mechanism is plainly not good design. Not only does it get damaged when rolled up without the spare wheel as I unfortunately experienced. It is very difficult to operate under various circumstances. Take for example if you are travelling under harsh winter conditions on an uneven road with luggage and passengers with no help around and you get a flat tire. To get at the mechanish, you have to fold the back seat forward to get the lever, you have to empty the trunk to get at the winch from the inside and the bonus is that you have to crawl under the car to get the spare wheel. This is all workable on firm level ground under the most favourable sunny California conditions but turns into an ordeal in bad arctic weather.
I am perfectly happy with the car but I challenge Jeep engineers to try to come up with a more common sense solution for the spare tire
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
lbdyll
2006 WK 

Spare Tire Winch i dont know if they ship overseas but its only like 80 something bucks here Jason

Last edited by lbdyll; 12-31-2009 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: forgot something
lbdyll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
ingikarl
2008 WK 

Price of spare tire winch

Thanks for the hint Jason. I will order the part online and have it delivered to a friend's address in the USA who will then bring it along when travelling back here. I found an advertisement link here on Jeepforum offering the part for $62.59.
MoparOnlineParts.com
Hope it is the original part.

Happy New Year,
Ingi
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
Marc4885
2006 WK 

So has anybody taken out a broken Spare tire winch and installed the new part that is linked to in this thread? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the part and do the install myself or take it to the stealership. If somebody could tell me whats involved and what the steps are I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for anything you can offer...
Marc4885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Pashin
2009 WK 

I personally find this winch system to be in a poor location. I recently had a flat tire in a snow storm with the vehicle fully loaded. I had too take everything out of the back and put it on the side of the road.

I have been thinking about a way to make a better spare winch with some sort of electric motor that could be controlled by a switch. But I haven't pulled the area apart to see how the mechanism works. Or else I will get a roof rack and place the spare on top.
Pashin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Marc4885
2006 WK 

So have you had any experience taking a broken one out and putting in a new one?
Marc4885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
ingikarl
2008 WK 

Got a new winch

Hi, I got a new winch from JustforJeeps online store delivered but have not installed it yet. It is very simple to install a new unit. From what I have learnt, I would not recommend trying to repair the unit by replacing the wire rope only. The unit is not meant for disassembling. The winch housing is assembled with non-threaded bolts (welded or crimped), sorry I do not know the correct term in English. But, anyway, you have to destroy the bolts to get the housing apart. The housing is made of plastic and it is rather sensitive. Mine got damaged in the process of taking it apart. The winch reel inside is very narrow and it will be difficult to put a new wire rope in place there.

Pashin, I could not agree with you more. Your experience is exactly of the kind that I am afraid to encounter one day. I have also been thinking of a better solution for the spare tire. In my opinion you need to be able to change the tire pretty fast and not have to remove luggage and even passengers out of the car to get at the mechanism. Some kind of frame holding the tire with a lowering mechanism that can be operated from the rear of the car seems to me a more suitable mechanism. The problem with the present mechanism is that it gets damaged if you roll it up fully without the tire, because the winch housing and reel are too small.
Unread 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
Pashin
2009 WK 

I work as a parts guy at a shop, so in a couple weeks I am going to dig into the mechanism a little further to see if it can be motorized.

I have couple of small electric motors that I am going to see if they can be rigged up to power the winch. The one I have the most hope for is an old rear windshield wiper motor from some random vehicle. I won't be able to know for sure until I take it apart. I also have a FSM on order I hope it has some good schematics in it.

I am also trying to think of a good spot to locate the Switch to operate the winch where it won't accidentally be activated while driving.
Pashin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.