Wiper blades - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Wiper blades

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
jbum03
2009 WK 

Wiper blades

Winter is fixing to set in here in East Tennessee and my blades need replacing. I have Bosch blades on now and they are just ok. Has anyone found a good winter time wiper blade?

jbum03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
ggt1_02
2010 WK 

I like the Goodyear ones from Costco.
Unread 12-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

^^ those were good, but at least in my Costcos, they have discontinued them and replaced them with garbage that is a significantly worse deal.

I've tried about every wiper blade there is, and I've always come back to Bosch. I actually like their MicroEdge best, next to the Icons, but run the Icons for the sleek look. As for dedicated winter blades, I had good luck with Anco winter blades. http://ancowipers.com/product/winter-blade I think I picked mine up at Fred Meyer.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
airportdave
2010 WK 

I've had great luck with the Trico Shield Teflon blades, both summer and winter here in eastern WA. They work great, look great, last a long time, and are reasonably priced. I used to use the Bosch Icon, but was disappointed in their short useful life, which certainly didn't justify their price.
Unread 12-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
AtlasM
2005 WK 

I like the beam style blades because they look nice and are tougher to get clogged up with snow in the winter. I've tried a few styles and would rank them:

1. Anco Contour
2. Bosch Evolution
3. Rain-X Latitude
4. Michelin some-kinda-beam-style that's been discontinued and sucked anyway

Trico also makes a few different grades of beam style blades as well, but I haven't tried any of them.

Bosch Icon is more expensive than Bosch Evolution and supposedly longer-lasting. But the Ancos are cheaper than either Bosch style, and seem to last the longest, so I usually just stick with the Ancos.
AtlasM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:12 AM   #6
paroxysym
2007 WK 

I just picked up some trico neo-forms from advanced... they were buy one get one 50% off. I had the bosch icons and they lasted MAYBE 3.5mons and it hasn't rained THAT much here in MD in the past few months.
Unread Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #7
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

It's interesting to see the different experiences in here, especially those saying the Icons don't last long. I had Icons on my WJ for 18 months and they still worked beautifully when I sold it, and it rains a ton up here. Perhaps they don't hold up well to freeze cycles, which the WJ didn't see much of. I have had good luck with Anco Contours on an Explorer, lasting over a year, but Bosch were the only blades that didn't make a ruckus and jump around on my Buick's picky windshield, so they've been my go-to. I had Rain-X Latitude because I got them BOGO, but ended up throwing them away after only about a month because they were terrible.
Unread Yesterday, 09:23 AM   #8
caulk04
2008 WK 

I don't change my blades until they start separating, they still work good until then. Regardless of brand. Currently I'm using RainX brand beam style blades. I don't even remember how long my blades last, but the last truck I sold got new blades when I bought it and had the same ones 3 years and 10 months later.

The key is keeping the glass and blades clean and using a good washer fluid. I use only RainX orange fluid.
Unread Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #9
AtlasM
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
The key is keeping the glass and blades clean and using a good washer fluid. I use only RainX orange fluid.
I also swear by that stuff. Keeps water beading up on the glass, and doesn't ice up here in Wisconsin winters. Can't beat it for 3 bucks a bottle at Walmart.
Unread Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #10
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

I had quite the opposite experience with my washer fluid. I tried the orange Rain X fluid and found that everything would be peachy for about 2 minutes after I sprayed, and after that, the wipers (Rain X latitude) would start grabbing the windshield like rubbing two pieces of tack cloth together and wiggling and jumping around, making terrible noises and making me legitimately fear that I was going to strip the gears in my wiper motor until I sprayed again. This on a windshield treated with Rain X, and otherwise crystal clean. I swore off the entire Rain X brand after that episode, and spent the next 3 months searching for a product that would strip Rain X from my glass (incredibly hard to come by, it turns out). After that, sheeting water and smooth riding wipers were music to my ears.
Unread Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #11
fishinbama
2007 WK 

There was a really good deal on the trico neo forms. About 3.50 each. I bought 2 complete sets about a week ago. Maybe it is still there.

Rock Auto

Last edited by fishinbama; Yesterday at 06:07 PM.. Reason: add to
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #12
AtlasM
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
I had quite the opposite experience with my washer fluid. I tried the orange Rain X fluid and found that everything would be peachy for about 2 minutes after I sprayed, and after that, the wipers (Rain X latitude) would start grabbing the windshield like rubbing two pieces of tack cloth together and wiggling and jumping around, making terrible noises and making me legitimately fear that I was going to strip the gears in my wiper motor until I sprayed again. This on a windshield treated with Rain X, and otherwise crystal clean. I swore off the entire Rain X brand after that episode, and spent the next 3 months searching for a product that would strip Rain X from my glass (incredibly hard to come by, it turns out). After that, sheeting water and smooth riding wipers were music to my ears.
I found that was more of an issue with the Rain-X wiper blades than the Rain-X washer fluid. It works fine with other brands of blades. I've had good results with it combined with Anco Contour blades.
Unread Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #13
sellingdrugs
2005 WK 

I have used rain-x and Bosch beam style blades and like both of them. I haven't used other brands so I can't speak against them. I will say that any of them will work better than a traditional blade in my opinion.
I'll also agree with keeping blades and glass clean. All windows in both of my vehicles are cleaned, polished (I use plastic polish) and coated in Rain-x year round. The washer fluid is Rain-x too. This has worked for me for several years and I'm just up in Bristol so we probably have the same winters.
Unread Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #14
jbum03
2009 WK 

Thanks SD can you explain the plastic polish a bit?
jbum03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:07 AM   #15
AtlasM
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
There was a really good deal on the trico neo forms. About 3.50 each. I bought 2 complete sets about a week ago. Maybe it is still there.

Rock Auto
Good call on that, I just checked RockAuto and the Neoforms are $3.81 each. It said there were only 3 left at that wholesaler closeout price, and I bought two of em.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.