window scratchs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > window scratchs

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
chevra
2008 WK 

window scratchs

On my WK the driver side rear window is getting scratched all up. It sounds like there is rocks in there but it is scratching in many places. I have never seen a vehicle do it this bad before, it looks awful. How can I clean this out to prevent it from getting worse? I dont think i can do anything about my window already being wrecked though right?

Unread 06-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Budasac
2005 WK 

I got sand stuck in mine and it did a number on the window. All you can really do is clean the felt wipers really well. Just roll your window down all the way and inspect the felt for trapped debris and give it a good cleaning.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I'd assume you can pull the interior paneling off the door to expose the innards of the door to clean out debris that is causing the scratches.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Budasac
2005 WK 

The only thing that contacts the glass is the wipe at the top. You can pull the whole thing off to really scrub it if you want. I had tiny grains of sand stuck in mine from a little kid who decided to throw a fistful at the window. It took a couple of cleanings before I got it all out.

As far as repairing the scratches- a general rule is if you can feel the scratch with a finger nail (Gets hung-up when you scrape across the scratch) then it can't be buffed out.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
The only thing that contacts the glass is the wipe at the top. You can pull the whole thing off to really scrub it if you want. I had tiny grains of sand stuck in mine from a little kid who decided to throw a fistful at the window. It took a couple of cleanings before I got it all out.

As far as repairing the scratches- a general rule is if you can feel the scratch with a finger nail (Gets hung-up when you scrape across the scratch) then it can't be buffed out.
Good point.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
chevra
2008 WK 

Okay i will try to clean it out. Does the wipe just pop out when the window is down? Hopefully i can buff out some of the scratches, what would be the best product to use for that?
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
modernblueWK

I roll the windows all the way down, then wedge a clean rag or old washcloth 1-2 inches down in between the glass and the felt. Then pull the rag horizontal to clean the felts. Works for awhile.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

I have some scratches on my windshield that I treated with RainX glass wax. It helped significantly. The scratches are still there, but much less noticeable.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.