Window issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Window issue

Advance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
beaver8785

Window issue

Hey guys been awhile since I've been on here, I am having an issue with my 07 wk limited, the driver side power window picks an chooses when it wants to work. It is just the driver window all three others work fine. Just wondering if any one else is having this problem if they knew how to fix it.

beaver8785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
dieseljeep07

2007 WK 

Have had the same problem. Since replacing the Battery on January it happens much less, but still on occasion the driver or even passenger window will act up. I haven't been able to nail down a common cause as to why it happens yet.
dieseljeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
cntryboy_88
2008 WK 

Had the same issue on my 08 took it to a dealership...these jeeps have 35 chips that randomly need to be updated once I updated mine it worked fine
cntryboy_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
beaver8785

What is the damage ($) to have the updates put in?
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
cntryboy_88
2008 WK 

At the dealership I went to they charge $125 diagnosis fee which is applied to the cost of anything being done I don't think we payed anything more than that
cntryboy_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
JeepCares

Info from the 2007 WK service Manual:
(if not helpful, just ignore)

(I did notice it was intermittent)

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - POWER WINDOWS

ONE WINDOW INOPERATIVE
The window glass must be free to slide up and down for the power window motor to function properly. If the glass is not free to move up and down, the motor will overload and trip the integral circuit breaker. To determine if the glass is free, disconnect the regulator from the glass. Then slide the window up and down by hand.

There is an alternate method to check if the glass is free. Position the glass between the up and down stops. Then, shake the glass in the door. Check that the glass can be moved slightly from side to side, front to rear, and up and down. Then check that the glass is not bound tight in the tracks. If the glass is free, proceed with the diagnosis that follows. If the glass is not free, determine the cause of the condition.

If the only inoperative window is in the driver or passenger side front door and the preceding checks have not identified a problem, (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8N - Power Systems/Power Windows/MOTOR, Window Regulator - Diagnosis and Testing) . If the problem being diagnosed involves only the Auto-down feature for the driver side front door window, but all of the power windows are operational, replace the driver's side window/lock switch. For diagnosis of the window/lock switch, (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8N - Power Systems/Power Locks/SWITCH, Lock - Diagnosis and Testing) . For a rear power window problem proceed with the following:

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Unplug the wire harness connector from the power window switch unit on the door with the inoperative power window. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the power window switch wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step #2. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the power window and door lock master switch as required.
2. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run) circuit cavity in the body half of the power window switch unit wire harness connector. If OK, go to Step #3. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the power window and door lock master switch as required.
3. Test the power window switch continuity (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8N - Power Systems/Power Windows/SWITCH, Power Window - Diagnosis and Testing) . If OK, go to Step #4. If not OK, replace the power window switch.
4. Check the continuity in each circuit between the inoperative power window switch wire harness connector cavities and the corresponding power window motor wire harness connector cavities. If OK, (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8N - Power Systems/Power Windows/MOTOR, Window Regulator - Diagnosis and Testing) . If not OK, repair the open circuit(s) as required.

NOTE: All passenger door power window switches receive their battery and ground feed for operating the passenger door power window motors through the driver side power window and lock master switch and wire harness connector.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver8785 View Post
Hey guys been awhile since I've been on here, I am having an issue with my 07 wk limited, the driver side power window picks an chooses when it wants to work. It is just the driver window all three others work fine. Just wondering if any one else is having this problem if they knew how to fix it.
Yes - my '07 does the exact same thing, particularly when "rolling" it up.

(My daughters don't really know the phrase, "roll down the windows.")

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
LincolnTyler
2007 WK 

Have the same problem with my 07'. I've had luck hitting the window lock button twice to lock and unlock. Usually goes up or down afterwards.
|2007 3.7l | Light Khaki/Sandstone | 2" RC | JK take off's | 265/70/17 DuraTrac's | Expanded Sheet Metal Grill Mod | Pinch Weld | EBC Rotors | Hawk Ceramics | Bilstein 5100 rears | Khaki Club #66 | Cabin Air Filter | Stickers...
LincolnTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
beaver8785

Hey guys just wondering if any of u guys have figured out this window thing??
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Here is the older thread related to this. I had my window control module replaced and it fixed it for a while but came back and I just don't use auto-express up and it works fine. It is totally random - sometimes works sometimes not.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/d...go-up-1303869/
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
GregK340
2007 WK 

I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. It did actually get better for a while after I changed the vehicle battery. but then it went back to "normal". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What seems to work almost 100% of the time, is if the driver side window doesn't respond to it's switch, I pull up on the switch for the pass. side window (the one on the driver arm rest) even though the pass. window is up. Then the driver side window works off its switch. Don't have a clue why this works, but it seems too.
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
beaver8785

So just order the master window module for drivers side and hope it works will post if fixes the problem!
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
Nandino58
2007 WK 

I looked into the owners Manuel, my 07 was having the same issue. The window will stop rolling up and sometimes go down on its own when using the auto up option, it is due to the safety sensor being activated. It's not bad enough to get fixed yet and I'll deal with it. Look under window operation for more info.
Nandino58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
Red_liner740

I had this issue when i first got the Jeep 2 months ago. Passenger window would not roll up sometimes....i would have to reach over and use the passenger controls to roll it up.

I took the drivers switch module out, took it apart, took the switches apart and cleaned every contact with contact cleaner and a swab. I also reseated the switches into the main PCB board. After the cleaning, which has been a month ago, i havent had any more window issues.

I just wanted to add that the switches are a weird wonky style of activation. They arent slide style which usually are self cleaning but a tap is pushed down into a waiting metal tab and thats what makes contact. They are exposed to dirt and stuff and overtime the crap will cause intermittent connection issues.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
Red_liner740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandino58 View Post
I looked into the owners Manuel, my 07 was having the same issue. The window will stop rolling up and sometimes go down on its own when using the auto up option, it is due to the safety sensor being activated. It's not bad enough to get fixed yet and I'll deal with it. Look under window operation for more info.
That is not the same problem.

There is no safety "sensor". The window module monitors current draw of the window motor. If it detect what it considers excessive current, as happens when the window hits an obstacle it commands it down for a few inches.

What we have experienced is a random non-function of a switch....
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.