Will bad Diff bushings lead to worse? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 02-08-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
JakeWK
Got Lock?

2005 WK 

Will bad Diff bushings lead to worse?

Hey guys, so I know the front differential bushing job as been beaten into the forum about 100 times by now, but I have a different question. Mine have been steadily getting worse, and I was wondering what would be some problems that might potentially arise if I were to not change out the bad bushings?
-The clunk gets old really fast, and more loud and violent each time
-I noticed a humming at highway speeds when the jeep is under load (accel up a hill) The sound is hard to explain, but I honestly suspect the bad bushing also.
-I am pretty sure that the clunking of my differential is what led to the rubber CV joint boot getting torn up on my front driveshaft (another post). I suspect the jerking and clunking of the differential put undue stress on the front driveshaft, which might also connect with the humming I notice when under load..

I fully plan on getting the bushings replaced, but I have other equally important bills and was trying to understand how and if having bad diff bushings might lead to other, worse, mechanical issues?

Thanks as always, the more feedback and comments the better!

05 WK HEMI

JakeWK Build Thread
USN Jeep Club
CentralCaL 4X4
Colorado 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 04:32 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

I'd get it done. Like quick before it wrecks your front shaft. You can get the two bushings for ~$60 then do the front mount later on even though it's likely fine.

I say this knowing my bushings are going as well, though I only get a clunk when shifting out of reverse.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #3 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 AM
skibum555
2005 WK 

Diddo. The CV on drive shaft is also replaceable, that is what caused a hum/vibration in mine. It is doorman part number 932-303. I say all this not having jsut replaced my second one in a year or so, the first one was defective I think..... But I got to thinking that if the diff moves too much for too long we risk ruining the ujoint on the front side of the front shaft (unless you are cv front and rear) and if that goes bad its non serviceable and will require a new driveshaft. This is why it's has moved up on my priority list.

Jeepin ain't easy...
Proud Member of the BlAcK wK club
MEMBER #105
post #4 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
JakeWK
Got Lock?

2005 WK 

Okay. Because the CV on my front driveshaft had been torn up already, around 100k, and i replaced the CV joint. I cleaned and inspected the driveshaft and U-joint while it was out, and didn't see anything. But that was definitely a concern of mine with these bad bushings..

05 WK HEMI

JakeWK Build Thread
USN Jeep Club
CentralCaL 4X4
Colorado 4X4
post #5 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
JakeWK
Got Lock?

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
I'd get it done. Like quick before it wrecks your front shaft. You can get the two bushings for ~$60 then do the front mount later on even though it's likely fine.

I say this knowing my bushings are going as well, though I only get a clunk when shifting out of reverse.
I figure the top bushing would be the one in the worst condition.. I'll probably get all 3 bushings this weekend, and start looking into if this job is something easy enough to do myself. Don't have an air chisel which i've read is pretty useful on the top bushing aluminum housing.

05 WK HEMI

JakeWK Build Thread
USN Jeep Club
CentralCaL 4X4
Colorado 4X4
post #6 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 01:31 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Got a harbor freight nearby? I'd think you could get one awful cheap.

I really need to get on doing mine...

post #7 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 01:57 PM
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWK View Post
I figure the top bushing would be the one in the worst condition.. I'll probably get all 3 bushings this weekend, and start looking into if this job is something easy enough to do myself. Don't have an air chisel which i've read is pretty useful on the top bushing aluminum housing.
Balljoint Press or a 3# hammer and a blunt tool.

Also Take a look at HHP They make the SRT8 Front Diff Bushings and are amazing. I love them, and would never go back to the stock Mopars. I dont see why or how that design is any good. To me it is a weak point and just waiting for something to happen.

Link to HHP Front Diff Bushing
post #8 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
JakeWK
Got Lock?

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaJeep4569 View Post
Balljoint Press or a 3# hammer and a blunt tool.

Also Take a look at HHP They make the SRT8 Front Diff Bushings and are amazing. I love them, and would never go back to the stock Mopars. I dont see why or how that design is any good. To me it is a weak point and just waiting for something to happen.

Link to HHP Front Diff Bushing
Thanks for the link! Where's the best place to buy the other two lower bushings? Should i get the new bracket with the top bushing?

05 WK HEMI

JakeWK Build Thread
USN Jeep Club
CentralCaL 4X4
Colorado 4X4
post #9 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 04:58 PM
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWK View Post
Thanks for the link! Where's the best place to buy the other two lower bushings? Should i get the new bracket with the top bushing?
No problem. I would replace all of them And I wont go with the OEM they suck and are a poor design.

this guy here the link I am going to provide is in egypt. takes a long time to recieve your item but they come and they are a great product. he makes all three bushings, but for the lower cheaper ones, I like the HHP better.

Here you go Link for The Bracket Bushing
post #10 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Tango.
2008 WK 

figure OEM will last about 8 years and they are on amazon cheep .. or mopartpartsonline

This Egypt ones look good quality.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #11 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 05:49 PM
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango. View Post
figure OEM will last about 8 years and they are on amazon cheep .. or mopartpartsonline

This Egypt ones look good quality.
Wont be going on my truck the OEM just trash and doesnt do its job as these will.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-10-2016, 02:18 AM
SSF556
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaJeep4569
No problem. I would replace all of them And I wont go with the OEM they suck and are a poor design. this guy here the link I am going to provide is in egypt. takes a long time to recieve your item but they come and they are a great product. he makes all three bushings, but for the lower cheaper ones, I like the HHP better. Here you go Link for The Bracket Bushing
Havent people comlained about the Egypt bushings being harsh and causing a lot of noise? Thought I read that on here...

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #13 of 29 Old 02-10-2016, 02:21 AM
SSF556
2008 WK 

Quote:
No problem. I would replace all of them And I wont go with the OEM they suck and are a poor design. this guy here the link I am going to provide is in egypt. takes a long time to recieve your item but they come and they are a great product. he makes all three bushings, but for the lower cheaper ones, I like the HHP better. Here you go Link for The Bracket Bushing
Do you need 3 of the HPP bushings?

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #14 of 29 Old 02-10-2016, 04:32 AM
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Quote:
Do you need 3 of the HPP bushings?
You need 2 round bushings which are number 15 on the breakout diagram. And the mount is number 7. That is the one with the metal going thru the bushing.

From mopar overstock #15 is 28.99 and #7 is 108.

If you look at the oem bushing. They are NOT solid cheap metal and poor design. The HHP bushings are great solid and aluminum. Also easy to remove and to replace. But you most likely won't need to replace it.

The other bushing by perf. I didn't read up on it much. Just skimming. But some say noise but I would not think a bushing. Would be the culprit. Too many other factors I believe. I will be ordering. U less I can find another solution for the front diff.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-10-2016, 05:01 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

You go from rubber to poly and it's going to transmit more noise.

These aftermarket bushings are stiffer and may last longer, but who knows how they'll hold up over time. IMO, not worth it unless you find you're trashing bushings in a year or have a super stout SRT that's really cranking on the front diff.

Whatever makes you feel good I guess, it's your money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.