Will a bad brake light cause a code? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Will a bad brake light cause a code?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Wrangler98
2012 JK Wrangler 

Will a bad brake light cause a code?

I'm working on my friends 2005 JGC with the 5.7. She has the service brake electrical system error. She took it so a shop and was told a new brake switch and a new third brake light assembly would clear it. I offered to do it to save her a few hundred dollars. I ordered a new brake switch which was only $8, but I also noticed some exposed wiring going to the switch which I will deal with as well. I have also ordered a new brake light assembly($80 ouch). The way the shop described it was that the light alone could cause the code if not replaced as well. Is this true, the way electrical items are entangled these days, I could see it happening. I also don't trust this shop, my friend forgot it was the same shop that tried to con her daughter into getting $1200 worth of front end work that I had just completed.

1967 Ford Mustang-351W/4spd
Wrangler98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

This thread appears to address the same issue. Wheel speed sensor and/or brake light switch is the culprit for several Jeepers there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...77/index2.html
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Wrangler98
2012 JK Wrangler 

I read up on a bunch of that when I was searching, didn't see anything about the brake light though. I was just curious is all and trying to save my friend a few bucks since her husband just got laid off and has to take the jeep out of state for a new job. She opted to change everything anyway, better safe than sorry.
1967 Ford Mustang-351W/4spd
Wrangler98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler98 View Post
I read up on a bunch of that when I was searching, didn't see anything about the brake light though. I was just curious is all and trying to save my friend a few bucks since her husband just got laid off and has to take the jeep out of state for a new job. She opted to change everything anyway, better safe than sorry.
Sorry I couldn't help any more

Glad to hear they are back Jeepin'
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
unobtanium
2010 WK 

On some Ford trucks, it will prevent it from going anywhere, I believe.
Unread 11-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
bustacrab
2005 WK 

I had the same exact issue with mine. One of the circuits in the brake switch was shorted and the cruise wouldn't work. I kept getting the Service Elect. Brake System warning. I finally got a CEL and ran the code, it was something like Brake Circuit 1 shorted.

At any rate, I changed the switch under the pedal and fixed the problem.
bustacrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
joe989
2008 WK 

Most modern vehicles have whats called a SAM (signal actuation and control module), which will throw a trouble code to let you know a light, or electrical fault has occurred.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.