why are my brakes still locking up on me..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > why are my brakes still locking up on me.....

50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring KitFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

why are my brakes still locking up on me.....

hey guys what's up. so I replaced the rotors n pads all around truck. and the front brakes still lock up on me on wet roads or in the snow. I thought these trucks had abs? and locking should not happen as it is with me.

any suggestions? I have no lights or codes. so I'm trying to wonder what it is.

should one bleed the brakes after replacing the rotor and pads??

KillaJeep4569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Sounds like your abs isn't working properly, do you have any lights on your dash? Did you unplug an abs sensor?
Flowmaster Super 40 w/reso delete
KonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Brakes don't need to be bled when only replacing rotors and pads. The only suggestion is to take your brake reservoir cap off when you are pressing the calipers back to make room for new pads, the fluid needs somewhere to go.
Unread 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonLegend View Post
Sounds like your and isn't working properly, do you have any lights on your dash? Did you unplug an abs sensor?
no lights on. no codes either. I didn't unplug anything. and yes it does sound like it isn't working right. what can I do to check this
Unread 03-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Gonna have to set the whole thing on fire probably
Unread 03-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
your funny ha ha
Unread 03-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Any local shop with a good computerized diagnostic tool should be able to check the entire ABS system. I know my Autel DS708 can do it. Or, you could go to a stealer and probably risk a good chance of getting ripped off.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
monkey6
2009 WK 

Quote:
haha Well his name is KillaJeep
Unread 03-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Any local shop with a good computerized diagnostic tool should be able to check the entire ABS system. I know my Autel DS708 can do it. Or, you could go to a stealer and probably risk a good chance of getting ripped off.
Think i may take it to my local shop and see what the mechanic says. I wonder how much they would charge me to connect the computer tool and diagnose. I dont see lights or any codes on dash. So Im just wondering why they would lock up. I always thought that is what ABS was for, not to lock up and pulsesate the brakes for you.
Unread 04-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Obviously the ABS should be stopping the brakes from locking up. If the ABS is working, when doing a hard stop (or on slippery roads) you'll feel a little pulsating in the brake pedal and you should also be seeing the ABS light on the dash flickering or lighting up. Let us know what you find out.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #11
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

is your cruise control working?
sometimes when people are having ABS [wheel speed sensor] issues their cruise control doesnt work
Unread 04-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #12
TangoTango
2008 WK 

air in the lines will do that.. bled them
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #13
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Obviously the ABS should be stopping the brakes from locking up. If the ABS is working, when doing a hard stop (or on slippery roads) you'll feel a little pulsating in the brake pedal and you should also be seeing the ABS light on the dash flickering or lighting up. Let us know what you find out.
i dont see any lights coming on when I am locking up or the sort.
Unread 04-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #14
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
is your cruise control working?
sometimes when people are having ABS [wheel speed sensor] issues their cruise control doesnt work
Yes cruise control works fine.
Unread 04-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #15
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
air in the lines will do that.. bled them
Yeah that is what I was thinking, but It doesnt feel sloppy or loose when I am hitting the brakes.

I just did a complete brake tune up new rotors and pads all around. So I was thinking to bleed them, but some said it was not needed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.