Why does my alarm go off when I unlock the door with my key? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Why does my alarm go off when I unlock the door with my key?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWK View Post
Either something is messed up or Chrysler didn't use their brain when they put this feature in...

If I unlock the door manually with my key, which I had to yesterday before I could get another battery for the remote unlock, the alarm goes off if I open the door.

Does this happen for anyone else and is there a way to put a stop to that?
Hee Haw!! Hee Haw!!
Mine does it too.... always has.

I discovered it at a quiet forest camp ground about 11:30 PM after everyone was asleep. I needed some meds out of the Jeep and I knew my headlights were pointed directly into someone's tent one site over. I knew if I pushed the fob, It would flash my headlights right into their tent so I decided to quietly sneak out and use the key manually in the door. So I'm standing there in my jammies being extra quiet and smug patting myself on the back for thinking ahead and being considerate and then I turned the key....

Honk Honk Honk Honk....flash flash flash. I panic not knowing what to do....so I push the panic button thinking it would shut the (*$#@% thing off..... WRONG.... it goes into double time. Double honk, double flash, double honk honk honk honk!!!!!

Long seconds pass, lights begin to come on around the camp ground. Voices and curses can be heard along with some jeers and laughter (not much laughter.) I finally jump in and crank the Jeep and the sound goes away. Whew!

Next day, I felt STUPID as I slinked around the camp ground hoping nobody would remember.

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
ColinWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Hee Haw!! Hee Haw!!
Mine does it too.... always has.

I discovered it at a quiet forest camp ground about 11:30 PM after everyone was asleep. I needed some meds out of the Jeep and I knew my headlights were pointed directly into someone's tent one site over. I knew if I pushed the fob, It would flash my headlights right into their tent so I decided to quietly sneak out and use the key manually in the door. So I'm standing there in my jammies being extra quiet and smug patting myself on the back for thinking ahead and being considerate and then I turned the key....

Honk Honk Honk Honk....flash flash flash. I panic not knowing what to do....so I push the panic button thinking it would shut the (*$#@% thing off..... WRONG.... it goes into double time. Double honk, double flash, double honk honk honk honk!!!!!

Long seconds pass, lights begin to come on around the camp ground. Voices and curses can be heard along with some jeers and laughter (not much laughter.) I finally jump in and crank the Jeep and the sound goes away. Whew!

Next day, I felt STUPID as I slinked around the camp ground hoping nobody would remember.

Oh god that is awful. This is basically my morning routine whenever the remote decides not to work. I always have to position myself to jump in and turn on the car immediately to turn it off. I hate it so much and am looking for a way to fix it.
ColinWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Confirm that the cradle holding the battery is soldered down at all three points.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
GPERSCREEPERS99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWK
I just replaced the battery for the remote and it only works about half of the time. Wondering if it's a faulty battery or they messed up my key
I have the exact same issue with one of my keys. I think I need to get a new key.
12 Grand Cherokee Wife's Daily Driver
GPERSCREEPERS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

You didn't turn the key far enough in the door. It takes some force. Make sure the thing inside your door is all the way up before opening.
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
marko138
2011 WK 

Mine does the same thing. Extremely annoying.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #22
yzjwk
2005 WK 

If you guys don't want the expense and hassle of buying a new key fob and dealer programming cause you don't have 2 keys etc . for a couple hundred bucks you can get a command start module installed and just use the key fob that comes with that to lock and unlock .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Jaashua
2005 WK 

For a couple hundred bucks you can get a dealer key...
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
yzjwk
2005 WK 

True , but you wouldn't have command start and you would still have another fragile key fob to break on you . The starter fobs are way more resiliant and you can get ones that will take a AAA batery .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #25
wkearney99
2006 WK 

It's pretty trivial to just resolder the battery holder clip inside the remote. That's what was causing mine to act up. But after 6 years of being knocked around it's surprising there wasn't more wrong... or that the battery lasted that long!
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
GPERSCREEPERS99

I fixed mine by ordering two new keys on eBay and getting them cut. Grand total for two new keys and cut at local locksmith 60 bucks. Dealer wanted $410. Mine was loose clips on battery. I tried soldering but it didn't work for me. The new keys have a different design to hold the battery and it won't happen again.
12 Grand Cherokee Wife's Daily Driver
GPERSCREEPERS99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.