Why do mechanics always rely on the Impact Gun - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Why do mechanics always rely on the Impact Gun

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDiesel View Post
That's if the mechanic / technician starts it with hand. Then it's all good. Guess it's all about the user.
Not true at all.There is one sport that they hammer on the lugnuts just using a impact and then the car goes out and runs 200mph(NASCAR).They don't have cross threading issues.

Unread 12-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Not true at all.There is one sport that they hammer on the lugnuts just using a impact and then the car goes out and runs 200mph(NASCAR).They don't have cross threading issues.
I have a slight feeling that those guys are just a bit better than your average mechanic.
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
I have a slight feeling that those guys are just a bit better than your average mechanic.
Most of those guys only do that on a race weekend only.
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #19
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

I bet they have different lugs and studs to avoid cross threading
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #20
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

Most of those guys only do that on a race weekend only.
Also do you know the pit crew actually have to train right? A lot of training even when there are no races. There is a documentary about it. They train to try to push out faster times
Unread 12-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #21
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-r...cs/nascar5.htm
last paragraph they do alter it to prevent cross threading
Unread 12-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #22
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Thats pretty cool!
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
LouC
2007 WK 

While the impact will not cross thread nuts that are properly started by hand an air impact can apply enough torque to strip threads. I use a DeWalt rechargeable electric impact for tire rotations and I always start the nut by hand, use the impact to snug it down and then do the final tightening by hand with a torque wrench. The stupid 2 piece lug nuts that Chrysler uses get ruined by those high torque impacts because the tin cover gets distorted and eventually the proper socket (3/4" or 19mm) won't fit.
I've had a locking lug nut ruined from them over-tightening it years ago and had to hammer a 3/4" socket on it (this was on my '89 Toyota) to get the damn thing off.
I bet some of the tire shops are using torque as high as 180-200 ft lbs judging by how tight they get them and how hard they are to get off. They say the torque sticks prevent over tightening but then why would you have to use a 3' long pipe cheater on a 18" 1/2" drive ratchet to get it loose?
I have 2 sets of tires for each vehicle (one for 3 seasons 1 for winter on steel rims) so I don't have to put up with this horrible service. When I need new tires I load up the old tires on rims and have them mount the tires and balance but I take them home and hand tighten. A real shame that the most basic job can't be done right.
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Many vehicles have the same design and have for years.My Jeep's original studs where the same way,no threads for about 3/8" then the treads started.
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #25
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ar...7705/overview/ the jeeps stock studs are similar, but the ARP version is a hell of a lot better. I run ARP's on my racecar
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #26
jeepsrgood4u
2009 WK 

Impact gun...Pretty much the same reason grand dad is rockin Velcro sneakers... Its faster and easier
09 0verland BBCPC 5.7 QD11 | Arb deluxe front bumber | Bilstein 5100 each corner | Superchips 3870 | 3" Stainless Gibson catback | K&N CAI | 1.5 Spdertrax | pinch weld mod | 255/70/18 Silent armors | 3" stainless tube steps | Weathertec digital complete set | Taillight guards |
jeepsrgood4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.