Why is the Commander so heavy? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Why is the Commander so heavy?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Closed Thread
Unread 06-27-2006, 08:18 AM   #16
Lizmara
2006 XK Commander 

Go take the Commander for a test drive.

That's all the swaying you'll need to help you decide

Unread 06-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #17
cmd peej

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilC
I cannot believe you guys just blow off the fuel economy. The difference between 15 and 18 mpg represents 20%. That is 20% of your fuel bill for a vehicle that does the same thing and is the same size.
If you drive a vehicle that gets 15 MPG instead of 18 MPG, the cost difference at 12,000 miles annually @ $3 gas is an extra $400. It's not chicken feed, but I would guess you could easily make up that difference for 5 years or more by getting a better deal on a Commander verses a 4Runner. Toyota just doesn't discount their vehicles that much in my opinion.

In my case, my annual mileage is around 4,000 as I have other vehicles for those runs to the store, movies, etc. In my opinion, if you can afford it, a SUV should be a 2nd or 3rd vehicle operation.

At my reduced mileage, the cost @ $3 gas is an extra $133 a year. At that rate, I DON'T care what gas costs. I'm keeping my Jeep Commander and using it when needed, but I have to admit sometimes it hard to climb into one of our higher mileage vehicles when I see my Commander "ready" for a run and Jeep fun.

Last edited by cmd peej; 06-27-2006 at 08:56 PM..
Unread 06-29-2006, 04:42 AM   #18
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd peej
If you drive a vehicle that gets 15 MPG instead of 18 MPG, the cost difference at 12,000 miles annually @ $3 gas is an extra $400. It's not chicken feed, but I would guess you could easily make up that difference for 5 years or more by getting a better deal on a Commander verses a 4Runner. Toyota just doesn't discount their vehicles that much in my opinion.

In my case, my annual mileage is around 4,000 as I have other vehicles for those runs to the store, movies, etc. In my opinion, if you can afford it, a SUV should be a 2nd or 3rd vehicle operation.

At my reduced mileage, the cost @ $3 gas is an extra $133 a year. At that rate, I DON'T care what gas costs. I'm keeping my Jeep Commander and using it when needed, but I have to admit sometimes it hard to climb into one of our higher mileage vehicles when I see my Commander "ready" for a run and Jeep fun.

If he is concerned about the 0-60 time between the two he will likely NOT get the EPA 18 MPG... which, as said before, the EPA estimates are about as trustworthy as a cheating girlfriend... pedal to the medal will always kill mileage. if you are going to be towing with her, the V6 in the will labor harder then the V8 while pulling. displacement, it's just the way it is. more labor, more wear and tear... more likelyhood of failure. the 4.7L has proven it's self as a long lasting powerplant that is reliable as the old 4.0L. As for the cosmetic and appointments, the Commander seems to me to feel more high class and comfy, while the rear seats can sometimes get some getting used to from the stadium seating when you look behind them you'll get used to it. the 4Runner is the Camry of midsized SUV's reliable and bland, the Jeep is the new dog on the block and doesnt blend into the sea of SUV crouding the streets.. has that extra "got to have it factor" ... I love both vehicle and my opinion of both is both unbiased and knowlegdable from experience with both. both are great vehicles it all comes down to what YOU want and what YOU need. You gonna tow it and want to show it off? get the Jeep, you want that trustworthy realiablity (not saying the jeep isn't reliable, but this is a toyota, duh) that will get you there effieciently? get the Toyota.

back in the day the true SUV brands were the only ones that built them... Toyota, Ford, Jeep, chevy, ETC... now everyone and thier mom builds them, most on compact car platforms.. the age of the true SUV may come to an end soon, but as long as Brands like Jeep and Toyota stick to building them the way they sould be there is hope. Atleast he picked two real SUVs.

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
Unread 06-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #19
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

If you think the jeep is heavy, look at the European SUVs.
Luxury weights a lot, so does safety.
It isn't limited to SUVs.
Unread 06-29-2006, 08:34 PM   #20
NeilC

I understand that 0-60 runs will not produce the EPA rated gas mileage but that applies to both the Commander and the 4Runner. My point is that the 4Runner has both faster acceleration and better gas mileage. That is a rare combination that is only acheived with weight savings. The Commander is more luxurious feelings and there is something to be said about the ride of a heavier vehicle but you give up a lot too.
Unread 07-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #21
Stengah
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I understand that 0-60 runs will not produce the EPA rated gas mileage but that applies to both the Commander and the 4Runner. My point is that the 4Runner has both faster acceleration and better gas mileage. That is a rare combination that is only acheived with weight savings. The Commander is more luxurious feelings and there is something to be said about the ride of a heavier vehicle but you give up a lot too.
You've hit the nail on the head. Given a choice, what do you want; luxury, or performance? Which one is more important to you and/or your family?

There will always be a compromise between performance, luxury, safety and off road capability. But, they only way to find out what you really like is to test drive a 4Runner, Commander and every other SUV in the same class. Otherwise, this is just like bench racing.

Last edited by Stengah; 07-03-2006 at 08:05 PM..
Unread 07-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #22
SYCOHEMI

Having ridden in the older generation 4Runners, I was really put off by the ride quality.

I'm sure the newer ones are improved, but the last generation was awful on the road.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 07-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #23
SYCOHEMI

Oh, and in my opinion, the Jeep Commander feels plenty powerful and fast.

Any more power, and I wouldn't really be able to use it.

And I've test ridden motorcycles on the Nurburgring at over 160 mph. So, believe me, I like power. The HEMI is a great engine and one of the reasons I bought the Commander.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #24
SYCOHEMI

Quote:
This is what I was looking for though, someone to sell me on the Commander and away from the Toyota. Thanks.
Makes no difference to me what you drive, or what your gas mileage is, as long as you are happy with your choice, the more power to you. If you can't convince yourself between two competitors, maybe you are looking at the wrong vehicle class.

Would I like it if the HEMI got 20% better gas mileage? Sure, I would love it.

But overall, I like the Jeep Commander better than I thought I would like the 4Runner, so I went with it.

No regrets. I'm more comfortable offroading with the Jeep then the Toyota, but that's just my preference. Rides very well on road too.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 07-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #25
pwloomi

I owned an 04 4Runner SR5 (new generation) that I traded in for the commander as well as an 00 SR5 Sport 4Runner. The 04 ride quality is night and day compared to the 00, but is night and day with the commander. The extra weight greatly improves the ride quality. So what if I take off a little slower from a stop, in my town, it doesn't matter and it saves gas. I had the sound deadening package on the 4Runner and the commander is quieter.

PLUS, 1 out of 4 people in town own a 4Runner. There maybe 10 Commnaders in town so far.

I am definetly happy with the trade.
Unread 07-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #26
winkosmosis
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91
if your worried about weight and mpg just get a car
Spoken like a true non offroader... I should have expected this stuff wandering into a board for an IFS Jeep!
Unread 07-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #27
SYCOHEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis
Spoken like a true non offroader... I should have expected this stuff wandering into a board for an IFS Jeep!

Cool. See you out on the trails.

It's not what you have, but how you can handle it.

Why the IFS on the Commander makes some people defensive, I have no idea.

All I know is, it's a fun offroader with a great engine.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 07-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #28
NeilC

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis
I know what you mean. I have an XJ and I was looking for something that my wife could drive 3-5 years and hand down to me. By that time I would probably be looking to replace the Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee and the Commander are no longer "Jeeps." They have become more vanity than utility. When I think of a Jeep, I think of rugged and if not reliable, at least inexpensive to maintain. The current lineup has departed from both. They have become more feature and comfort oreinted and at the same time lost some of the ruggedness. I went with the 4Runner because the Wrangler was too small for my family. The IRS is not the problem. The Grand Cherokee(and prob the Commander) has a hydraulic fan that is driven by the power steering pump, the p/s fluid must now be changed at regular intervals. Both Commanders and GCs have an aluminum accordian style drive shaft, tell me that is going to hold up. The odd thing is that Toyota is becoming more "Jeep" than Jeep with its current offerings.

And say what you want about weight but the Commander will never be a capable 4X4 because you will never be able to put enough tire on the ground to climb a 5000 lb plus truck out of the muck. 5000 lbs will sink deeper and be harder to recover than 4000 lbs.

Flame on...
Unread 07-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #29
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I don't think you're even looking to buy one at all.

Thanks for all your constuctive insights on the new commander.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.