Why is the Commander so heavy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Why is the Commander so heavy?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Closed Thread
Unread 06-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
NeilC

Why is the Commander so heavy?

I have been looking at the Commander and the 4Runner. The Commander outweighs the 4Runner by 600-800 lbs yet has the same wheel base and length. The 6cyl Toyota seems about the same as the 4.7 Commander powerwise. I have an XJ now and like Jeeps in general but the Commander seems heavy for what it is.

Unread 06-24-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
carmannj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Americans and their cars have a never ending weight problem!! Most of our cars weigh more then imports, I couldn't pin point it for you for sure. Some people say our sheet metal is thicker, some say better quality parts are heavier. Who knows for sure unless you broke it down piece by piece to find the difference.

2005 TJ Rubicon
Unread 06-25-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
NeilC

If it were only 200-300 lbs I wouldn't worry about it, but for 2 vehicles of such similar size inside and out, it is alot. The toyota even has a frame which is usually heavier than unibody.
Unread 06-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Is the weight of the vehicle a determining purchase factor for you?

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Unread 06-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
NeilC

Well the problem is that the Commander needs more horsepower to haul the extra weight around which means less gas mileage. Any type of handling whether on road or off is adversly effected by extra weight. The Grand Cherokee is 600-700 lbs less than the Commander but it is built on the same platform. I dont see how the third seat adds only 100-200 lbs to the 4Runner but 600-700 lbs in the Grand Cherokee platform. Yes weight is a factor because it effects so many other things and not in a good way. Weight even effects your drivetrian durabilty. Some how Jeep has taken a midsized SUV and made it weigh as much as a fullsized SUV without the room. I have owned 2 Jeeps before and liked them both. I was trying to push myself toward the Commander but my brain keeps pulling me back to the 4Runner. If I could talk the wife out of the third seat, I would go with the Grand Cherokee.
Unread 06-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
cmd peej

Just a guess...

Assuming your weights are right (re the Grand Cherokee and the 4Runner verses the Commander), the gas mileage loss due to the extra 600-700 pounds probably is around 1-2 MPG if that.

From everything I've read on the 4Runner, mechanically the rig certainly would be the best shot in its class for a trouble free operation that would get you there and BACK home.

However, the styling is a bit tired looking. Not much change from the original version of several years running. If that's your cup of tea and it will get you that extra 1 or 2 MPG, you should go with it.

I chose the Commander because of the ride and the great looks. I have no regrets that I don't have a 4Runner parked in my driveway.
Unread 06-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #7
NeilC

Your right about the MPG if both are equipped with a V6 but the Commander with the V8 almost seems slower than the 4Runner and gets worse gas mileage. If I go with the hemi, which I can't afford, my city milelage(90% of our driving will be dismal. I figured that I would post these questions here because if you guys couldn't make me lean toward the Commander then no one could. I was hoping that everyone would start spouting off all of these cool things that I did not know about the commander. I am new to this whole "buy a Jeep for the way it looks mentality." That is not something that I ever thought would be said about the brand. Jeep to me was always a utilitarian-get the job done-take whatever you throw at it type vehicle.
Unread 06-26-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
cmd peej

EPA Mileage...

According to Kelly Blue Book, the 2006 Toyota 4Runner V8 is rated at 16 MPG city and 19 MPG highway. The 2006 Commander V8 4.7L is rated at 15 MPG city and 19 MPG highway.

IF the 4Runner actually gets the rated mileage, it certainly going to be higher than the Commander. I've actually gotten 15-16 MPG city and nearly 19 MPG on the highway.

However, to get that kind of mileage requires a light touch on the gas pedal and moderate highway speeds. I usually cruise at 60-65 MPH with cruise control on.

In city driving, its necessary to do some expressway driving occasionally if you want to average anywhere close to the city EPA rating. The Commander (or at least mine) doesn't even get into high gear (5th) until the speed is up to 50 MPH. If most of your around town mileage is stop and go and seldom up to 50 MPH, you're going to get closer to 12-13 MPG.

I wonder how the 4Runner actually does in city traffic? Since most other vehicles have trouble getting EPA city mileage ratings, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 4Runner MPG about the same as the Commander (or at best maybe 1-2 MPG more.) Rumor has it that Jeep is going to be offering a diesel option in the future that will get better mileage.

For my money, one shouldn't buy ANY SUV for a only vehicle operation unless he/she needs this kind of rig for FULL time operation. I probably only pull my boat 10-15 days a year with mine. If history is any guide, our SUV annual mileage is 4000-5000 miles if that. A bonus in this is that they last longer.

I think I read somewhere that the EPA mileage rating for all cars is going to be changed to another system that is more accurate.

Last edited by cmd peej; 06-26-2006 at 12:27 PM..
Unread 06-26-2006, 05:06 AM   #9
NeilC

The V6 4Runner is rated at 18/22 and does 0-60 in 8.2 according to consumer reports. The 4.7 Commander does it in 8.8 and gets 15/19. The Hemi, I think gets the same mileage as the 4.7 on the highway. Is that what people are seeing?
Unread 06-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
cmd peej

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilC
The V6 4Runner is rated at 18/22 and does 0-60 in 8.2 according to consumer reports. The 4.7 Commander does it in 8.8 and gets 15/19. The Hemi, I think gets the same mileage as the 4.7 on the highway. Is that what people are seeing?
I guess if you want the best acceleration with a V6, get the 4Runner. I guarentee that you will not be seeing anywhere near 18 MPG in the city if you like full throttle acceleration to 60 MPH. I bought my Commander mainly to tow my boat. In my experience, you can't have too much power in a tow operation. My Commander (V8 4.7L) is rated at 6500 lbs. The Hemi does 7200 lbs. While I would like the extra load the Hemi pulls, I didn't think it was worth the cost with my present boat (which is around 4000 lbs or so).

The V8 4Runner actually is rated to tow 500 lbs more than the Commander V8 4.7L and that's the reason I gave it a long look before going with the Commander.

I wouldn't even consider a V6 4Runner for my towing (5000 lbs) operation.
Unread 06-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
rikmeister

i looked at the 4 runner. was not impressed and much much more expensive. remember the air bags are optional to the tune of 700.00 more. the third seat is optional to the tune of 807.00 and almost everyone on the dealer lot will have it . the interior seat material is pure crap unless you get leather. the doors are very very thin. open one and compare it. the jeep is 5 star rated. almost every thing you can think of is an option on the 4 runner. look at an anniversary commander and see what you get for lots less. that will pay for a lot of gas mate. there is 1000 rebate on 4 runner and there was 5000 on commander when i bought mine. do the math and figure out how much gas that is . also toyota is having mechanical problems lately. seems the growing pains are setting in on them. but it is your money and you have to pay the bill so buy what you like.
Unread 06-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #12
JeepFreak91

if your worried about weight and mpg just get a car
Unread 06-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #13
Andrew F
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91
if your worried about weight and mpg just get a car
That is very well said. I really don't know much about either one, but as some one stated before, I have heard that Toyota is having some problems, and getting them fixed under warrenty has been an issue for some.

Andrew
4.88, Lock Right F/R
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #347[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Unread 06-27-2006, 04:44 AM   #14
NeilC

Well I have a utility trailer and I just sold a boat and plan to get a new one (only about 2500 lbs boat, motor, and trailer), so I need something that will tow atleast that much. Carwise, the Magnum RT is the only option. I cannot believe you guys just blow off the fuel economy. The difference between 15 and 18 mpg represents 20%. That is 20% of your fuel bill for a vehicle that does the same thing and is the same size. On the flip side what problems have you heard about with the 4Runner? Also one thing that I didn't tell you is that I am walking distance from a Jeep dealership, so I figure relibility is a wash. Because I have heard the reliability for Toyota is better. I have owned 2 Jeeps and know that some (usually) minor things will break, but parts are cheap and the dealer is close. This is what I was looking for though, someone to sell me on the Commander and away from the Toyota. Thanks.
Unread 06-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #15
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

So, people who are die hard Ford Excursion fans who really don't need them but who pull a boat and a trailer should just park them and get an Explorer?

What about those who drive the Suburbans?

They drive them because they like them or they have product loyalty. If you are just concerned about gas mileage, I'm sure you'll find a vehicle that meets at least most of your needs?

Are the Toyota and Jeep your only considerations? What about Ford or Chevy?

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.