Who to buy a crate Hemi from, Advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-03-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Who to buy a crate Hemi from, Advice

05 WK Limited with the 5.7 and QD2

My Jeep's engine had a valve seat drop due to an overheat and now I'm in the market for a crate engine.

Anyone have some advice for me? My mechanic insists on LKQ as they are local and he's been amazed at the quality of their engines. I dont doubt it at all but I dont want another "to OEM specs" engine that has the same pitfalls of the original engine(RIP) like valve seats, valve springs. That's what I'm concerned about. He's quoted me $3500 for the engine and $6500 installed

On the other hand I searched around and came to Promar Engines who claim they've corrected all the original Chrysler Hemi problems...and I like the sound of that. Their engine is $3000 with free shipping.

Anyway, does somebody have some advice for me? Almost wish I could stuff a lowly, reliable 4.0 in it...

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-04-2017, 09:49 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Does Mopar do re mans on Hemis?
We had a Mopar reman 42RE put in our '98 ZJ and it came with a 3 yr/36,000 mile warantee...
post #3 of 11 Old 03-04-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Does Mopar do re mans on Hemis?
We had a Mopar reman 42RE put in our '98 ZJ and it came with a 3 yr/36,000 mile warantee...
That's a great idea but I'm concerned about spending a lot of money on an engine with the same problems....IF they didn't fix them

post #4 of 11 Old 03-04-2017, 12:34 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I've looked into promar before I bought my wk. I was looking at WJs at the time. They suffer the same possible fate.
I'd call them up and talk to them.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-04-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I've looked into promar before I bought my wk. I was looking at WJs at the time. They suffer the same possible fate.
I'd call them up and talk to them.
What makes you say that? Lol the only claim from them is that they've taken care of all those problems.

I'll call and talk at greater length. I called for a quote and they were very friendly

post #6 of 11 Old 03-04-2017, 03:15 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

They added retainers for the valve rods I think I read. So it can not drop.
I meant that 4.7s suffer the same design flaw.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Roughly $3,800 for the LKQ remanufactured engine. Comes with a standard warranty covering defects and if proven to be non customer caused, new long block installed no charge.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 06:32 PM
10wklims

I know this a little off subject, but I was wondering if the valve seat issue affected all hemi motors or just the ones up to 07? If the 08 and newer ones do not have the issue what heads are going to be on your reman motor. I read some where that the D port heads don't have this issue.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10wklims View Post
I know this a little off subject, but I was wondering if the valve seat issue affected all hemi motors or just the ones up to 07? If the 08 and newer ones do not have the issue what heads are going to be on your reman motor. I read some where that the D port heads don't have this issue.
That's a good question. I'll have to figure that out! One of the main things I'm worried about

post #10 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

It's my understanding that the 08's > don't have the problem (never heard of any on the Jeep forums) and neither do any of the "D" port Eagle or Apache heads......just our 05-07's. I am starting to think more seriously about changing the heads on both my Hemi's for several reasons:
--It'll eliminate the possiblity of the dropped seats. It's my understanding that all of the high performance head builders do this.
--Peace of mind, especially when travelling, which we do a lot of now.
--I'd get the ones that are CNC ported and have .030 in. milled off them....increases compression by about a half point and supposedly is worth an additional 30 hp or so when coupled with a good header back exhaust system, which I already have.
--The wife is receptive to this.....at this point, especially after showing her Mp5ben's dilemma.
--It's only money, about $3000-4000 for both Hemi's......which costs less than a quality new engine for just one.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, Transgo Shift Kit, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
It's my understanding that the 08's > don't have the problem (never heard of any on the Jeep forums) and neither do any of the "D" port Eagle or Apache heads......just our 05-07's. I am starting to think more seriously about changing the heads on both my Hemi's for several reasons:
--It'll eliminate the possiblity of the dropped seats. It's my understanding that all of the high performance head builders do this.
--Peace of mind, especially when travelling, which we do a lot of now.
--I'd get the ones that are CNC ported and have .030 in. milled off them....increases compression by about a half point and supposedly is worth an additional 30 hp or so when coupled with a good header back exhaust system, which I already have.
--The wife is receptive to this.....at this point, especially after showing her Mp5ben's dilemma.
--It's only money, about $3000-4000 for both Hemi's......which costs less than a quality new engine for just one.
I'd highly recommend doing preemptive work. Cylinder heads are cheap and easy to replace DIY. Compared to waiting for a valve seat drop where your cylinder walls could be scratched up...then being stranded somewhere with a downed engine would suck

Waiting on the bank for my loan to get this replacement going...

Also. LKQ has the best warranty I've seen. 3 year/unlimited mile warranty...vs.promar which requires shipping back to NJ for inspection then who knows if they'll send you a new one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.