Whistling noise from '08 Cherokee Laredo while accelerating and turning off. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Whistling noise from '08 Cherokee Laredo while accelerating and turning off.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 07-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
dyne

Whistling noise from '08 Cherokee Laredo while accelerating and turning off.

I've had my '08 Cherokee Laredo (3.7 v6 ) for about 2 months now. Balance of 36/3 warrenty just expired and I have noticed a whistling noise coming from the engine. The noise sounds like a wooden train whistle ('woooooot"). It happens

while accelerating halfway through 1st gear (AT) from a dead stop

once you've come to a stop, immediately as you enter idle it'll give a short "woot" sound

and finally when you turn the truck off it will usually give another short "woot" sound

This does not happen every day and happens in cold and warm weather. A service bulletin that has the same symptoms while the heating and ac is on has been issued for this vehicle but this happens even with those off. The dealership today told me they can't replicate the problem (of course) so I'm currently at a loss.

dyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
jaw22
2011 WK 

Have you done anything to the stereo? My last car, apparently I neglected to ground a wire or something somewhere and it made a faint whistling through the speaker the harder i pushed the engine.
Unread 07-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
dyne

Everything is stock. Ater getting it home I've somewhat isolated it better. I kept my foot on the brake while putting the truck from park to drive, park to reverse and so on. EVERY time it made the noise. It also seems to be coming from the middle of the vehicle upon closer inspection around the transfer case.

Great Guess I'll be going back up Monday since I can do this at will now.
dyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
DCON
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
I've had my '08 Cherokee Laredo (3.7 v6 ) for about 2 months now. Balance of 36/3 warrenty just expired and I have noticed a whistling noise coming from the engine. The noise sounds like a wooden train whistle ('woooooot"). It happens

while accelerating halfway through 1st gear (AT) from a dead stop

once you've come to a stop, immediately as you enter idle it'll give a short "woot" sound

and finally when you turn the truck off it will usually give another short "woot" sound

This does not happen every day and happens in cold and warm weather. A service bulletin that has the same symptoms while the heating and ac is on has been issued for this vehicle but this happens even with those off. The dealership today told me they can't replicate the problem (of course) so I'm currently at a loss.

I had a similar problem with mine. I had a hole in my manifold, had it replaced and now everything sounds fine.
DCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
braleyk
2005 WK 

i have a similar, annoying whistle in my hemi that showed up after installing k&n intake. its worst when accelerating at about 1/3 throttle. has anyone else experienced this after installing an intake?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.