Whine in the rear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 10-30-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Tobeornottobe
2005 WK 

Whine in the rear

Hi all I just bought 05 Grand Cherokee. It had a high pitch whine in the rear on accelerations, stop when you let off. Did some reading and had all the bearing changed in rear. They said hubs were ok pinion ok , the drive shaft has a very very slight rough spot in one unjoint. So still have the noise .... What else is back there to cause this? I don't want to throw parts at it!!!!

Thanks

Pinion looks ok right ???

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 10-30-2015, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Tobeornottobe
2005 WK 

Pinion
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #3 of 42 Old 10-30-2015, 07:07 AM
Nejeep

A whine from the rear end that changes with acc/decel is usually due to the ring and pinon gear being out of alignment. If the bearings in the differential were among those recently changed, the ring and pinion alignment should have been reset to factory specs, which is not a simple or easy job. Was that done?

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
post #4 of 42 Old 10-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Tango.
2008 WK 

If the back lash was set wrong on the rear diff you would have metal there burnt from the gears.
The pinion can whine for a very very very long time before going out.

Could be the transfer case bearing also, so determine the location rear-end vs. transfer case..

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #5 of 42 Old 10-31-2015, 08:05 AM
fishinbama
2007 WK 

At least down here, there are very few places that can expertly tackle a differential setup and nail it dead on(none even). If you suspect ring and pinion, I'd get another axle. It really doesn't take long to swap one out. The junkyards will have it delivered to your door, if your street is accessible to trucks. Sounds like the shop you patronized wanted that markup on those parts they threw at it.

2007 limited crd 2wd, 3.07 ratio, GDE eco tune, dpf delete, BuilderBill valve body
2013 VW Passat tdi, 6m
2005 GMC crew cab 5.3
post #6 of 42 Old 10-31-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Tobeornottobe
2005 WK 

The person that did bearing last time put them on crooked so they wore out was metal in the rear dif case . All the bearings were replaced and I assume that it was set to factory specs. I'll call them and see if done . Do you have to pull it all apart to set ring up ?? Thanks
post #7 of 42 Old 10-31-2015, 10:01 PM
Tango.
2008 WK 

When you said ALL bearings were replaced does that mean ALL bearings? There are wheel bearings which are sealed units by the wheels, and there are the differential bearings that hold the differential, and when those are replaced you need to reset the back lash and re-shim the bearings to get it right, or it will whine. The pinion bearing can also make is whine like that. That is if it is the rear end. If it's the transfer case there are bearings there too.

The picture does not show the gear teeth, which you can look and see if there is wear on them, and it doesn't show the magnet, was metal on the magnet? These are things to check to determine the issue. Did you measure the fluid that came out was it burnt and was it the right amount? That is a few other things to check.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #8 of 42 Old 11-01-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tobeornottobe
2005 WK 

As far I I understate all the bearing except the wheel hub/ bearing were replaced , I will have to call them and verify the gear teeth did not look worn , there was filings in bottom of case when he took cover off. Oil was not burnt but It was full to the plug . I will check the settings that he did . Thanks so much for ideas!
post #9 of 42 Old 11-06-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Tobeornottobe
2005 WK 

Ok busy week , but will check asap, I tested noise it is still there if I shift to neutral, also if I shut it off. Now if it is a bearing would it not get hot ? I ordered the serviceable drive shaft , but I don't really believe that's the cause of whine . Can A person not get jeep up on jacks and run it to try and narrow down the noise location ?
post #10 of 42 Old 11-06-2015, 10:27 PM
cparker72
1972 CJ5 

At first look i read WINE in the rear. I guess that's just wishful thinking
post #11 of 42 Old 11-07-2015, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Tobeornottobe
2005 WK 

Lol I was going to put something about cheese in there ......
post #12 of 42 Old 11-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Tango.
2008 WK 

yes you can lift it on a lift or stands, remove the wheels and check for the whine, remember it's 4x4 so remove all 4 wheels. did you check the back lash?

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #13 of 42 Old 11-08-2015, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Tobeornottobe
2005 WK 

Ok I thought so... I'll have to get the shop guys to check it they did bearings sooooo!
post #14 of 42 Old 11-17-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Tobeornottobe
2005 WK 

Well I called to book appointment to have new drive shaft put in , I told him I didn't think it was the cause and said I figure it's the ring and pinion settings , he assured me it was set properly, he said he will put it on hoist and run it ., see if we can hear the noise!!! Crossing fingers .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #15 of 42 Old 11-17-2015, 07:40 PM
darot

had exactly the same issue, had bearings replaced with no change in noise, maybe a bit better not really noticeable change. The shop screwed up my drive shaft and I'll be installing my second used one this week in an attempt to make the vibration go away. I have been told the ring and pinion needs replaced to fix the noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.