Where to wire 12v+ behind radio? Hard-wiring an iPod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Where to wire 12v+ behind radio? Hard-wiring an iPod

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
sna77

Where to wire 12v+ behind radio? Hard-wiring an iPod

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the factory radio for a 2005 Grand Cherokee?

I'm going to get a PIE CHRY04-AUX/S AND A RCA-POD adapter. This solution will allow me to use the MODE button to switch to iPod control (uses the Sirius input, which I don't have).

Anyhow, I just ned to wire a 12v+ and the ground, to allow the iPod charging part of the adapter to work.

Also, if anyone has any other recomendations for iPod integration, I'm all ears (although I'm not considering an FM modulator).

Thanks,
Steve

BTW, this place on Ebay has a decent price on both pieces:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9248&rd=1&rd=1

sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
LordGriNz

Is the IPOD integration offered by Mopar FM?
LordGriNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
sna77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGriNz
Is the IPOD integration offered by Mopar FM?

No... I assume the Mopar part is an FM modulator. Click the link I posted above. Its the PIE adapter
Unread 11-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
jeep_on

That is NOT a Mopar adapter. If I were you, spend the extra $20 or $30 bucks and get your self a Mopar unit. Much easier to install and you will know it will work right. Its all pretty much plug on play with them. If your dead set on the other adapter, find the wire that gos to the light in your glove box for power.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
sna77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on
That is NOT a Mopar adapter. If I were you, spend the extra $20 or $30 bucks and get your self a Mopar unit. Much easier to install and you will know it will work right. Its all pretty much plug on play with them. If your dead set on the other adapter, find the wire that gos to the light in your glove box for power.

Is the MOPAR unit an FM modulator or is it hard wired? I dont want to have the radio to be on 87.9 or something stupid in order to work.

EDIT: I just called Jeep to confirm. The MOPAR unit is an FM modulator for 05-07 GC's... That is ceratinly not what I want.

Last edited by sna77; 11-07-2006 at 10:25 AM..
Unread 11-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77
Is the MOPAR unit an FM modulator or is it hard wired? I dont want to have the radio to be on 87.9 or something stupid in order to work.

EDIT: I just called Jeep to confirm. The MOPAR unit is an FM modulator for 05-07 GC's... That is ceratinly not what I want.
I think its hardwired. Looking at WK Jeeps.com you will be able to operate the iPod with steering wheel controls and such. So there for it cant be FM modulated, it would have to be hardwired to the radio.

I’d call your Dodge dealer and see what they say. Just ask them for a Mopar iPod adapter for an 06 RAM, it will be the same thing for a Jeep. Sounds like some one at your Jeep dealer is a *******.

Quote:
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
Unread 11-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
sna77

Quote:
I think its hardwired. Looking at WK Jeeps.com you will be able to operate the iPod with steering wheel controls and such. So there for it cant be FM modulated, it would have to be hardwired to the radio.

Iíd call your Dodge dealer and see what they say. Just ask them for a Mopar iPod adapter for an 06 RAM, it will be the same thing for a Jeep. Sounds like some one at your Jeep dealer is a *******.

I belive you are incorrect. Check this link on WKJeeps. It says the WK's MOPAR adapter is FM modulation. The 06 RAM is FM modulation as well.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/iPod.htm

The 05-07 GC's have the MB CAN bus system in them.

1. Mopar iPod adaptor for new CAN Bus vehicles

Part # 82210181. MSRP $135 (installation not included). FM transmission. File navigation is maintained by the iPod click wheel control pad.

Compatible with REC navigation radio and other CAN bus radios
Unread 11-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
jeep_on

Ahh crap. I totally missed that LOL. I didn't read down that far, sorry Well, Iím out of ideas than.

Quote:
Unread 11-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
sna77

Quote:
Ahh crap. I totally missed that LOL. I didn't read down that far, sorry Well, Iím out of ideas than.

NP... I've talked to a few install shops... The PIE adapter is the only hard-wired solution... I just need to figure out which is the 12V switched ignition wire now and I can install this...
Unread 11-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
jeep_on

Since you have to pull the radio out any way, why not reach down and tap the wire for the cigarette outlets?

Quote:
Unread 11-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
jeep_on

This mite help you. WK radio pinouts.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.