Where to order 6.1L HEMI headers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Where to order 6.1L HEMI headers?

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
scootter82
2009 WK 

Where to order 6.1L HEMI headers?

So I've definitely got an exhaust leak and I want to take this time to upgrade my heads from the 5.7L HEMI to the 6.1L. Any hints on where I could find this part and what other parts I might need to make this work? I know the shop will have to modify the down tube and gasket, correct?

Also, anyone know an estimated total cost for this project?

Unread 07-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE

Below are a few options in exhaust manifolds from two different sources.

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.summitracing.com/search/d.../submodel/srt8.

http://www.americanracingheaders.com...okee_SRT8.html

-----------------------------------------------------

The 6.1L Hemi and 5.7L Hemi heads have the exhaust ports in the same locations. The exhaust gaskets for each vehicle line up very well. The port on the 6.1L is a larger "D" shape and will require a matching header or exhaust manifold design. However, if you are putting 6.1L exhaust manifolds on a 5.7L, there doesn't appear to be any blockage going into the manifold from the head. I know this because a customer asked about his Dodge Charger and wanted to swap out the exhaust system and I myself was curious. Relatively speaking the SRT8 6.1L is the same and the 5.7L is the same in the Jeep WK as the Dodge Charger vehicle. Now, for price on fabrication with fitting in a space is another story and I would have no idea on price range for a project like this on a WK. Maybe another member can answer that question.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Williker
2006 XK Commander 

Check with a shop first. A Commander owner I just read about put about 4k into his custom exhaust with 6.1l headers.
I'd like to see how it turns out if you do go forward though.
Williker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Im also interested in finding a set of stock srt8 headers. I just got beat by a co-workers fusion sport the other day. lol . Granted the fusion sport and the 5.7L Grand have almost the same 0-60 and quarter mile times stock. But he has an intake, a cat back and a tuner with custom tune, and im still stock. So im looking for some perf upgrades.

I have seen a few people online now that have the srt8 headers installed on their 5.7. Some from the "other" forums. Even on youtube. So it can't be that hard. I would pay for a reasonably priced set of used srt8 headers, but im in no financial state to pay for some $1,500 aftermarket headers and then worry about getting them to fit. I just got married and im trying to buy a house.

I've checked ebay and craigslist. The most I can find are aftermarket expensive ones for the 6.1L and a couple complete exhaust from the srt8, but no headers

EDIT:
It might be possible to get these to fit? but they are still out of my price range (says 08-09 5.7 & 6.1L )
http://autoplicity.com/products/1969...FY4WMgod9noASg
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

I got my srt8 headers for $30. The trick is to find a srt8 owner who upgraded.

You'll need 08+ 5.7l gaskets. They match up perfectly that way. I can't remember what bolts I used but I think they are the same regardless of the engine. You'll need to grind down a notch for the egron the passenger header. You can use the gasket as a template.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Call some Junk yards around your area and see if they have any SRT8's.
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williker View Post
Check with a shop first. A Commander owner I just read about put about 4k into his custom exhaust with 6.1l headers.
I'd like to see how it turns out if you do go forward though.
Now, that's outrageous. It "only" cost me $1400 to have custom ceramic coated headers built and a complete 3 in. cat. back...3 tries at the cat. back to make it "wife friendly" though.

If you're on a budget and want to make it a little better than it is now you might try this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...-7-wk-1174042/ It's a whole lot cheaper than the SRT's, and is probably worth ~10-15 hp....my guess. I say that because my Hemi LX (stock) was rated at 340 hp. and our stock Hemi WK's are rated at 330 hp. Both engines are the same except for the exhaust and oil pan.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Burtman88
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Cant wait to find a full build and exact parts i need to do this modification without spending 1000. When you figure out what exactly needs to be done ill let the shop down the road know. they have very good rates around 50 a hour. Right now at stock i am at 357 hp, i added few things and it woke up the engine more which i love. i don't know what i am at now with the upgrades but i feel i gain at least 10 horsepower. I can feel the power there and that if i added headers it will be fully unleashed. i already have gotten my wk to do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and have destroyed others off the line. i have proof with the super chips programmer.

00 WJ

09 WK Hemi, 2.5 inch Rc lift, Super chips,Gibson 3 inch catback, rough country spacers, Voolant Cai,lockpik, Falken Wild peak At 265/70R-18
Burtman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Some guy on the "other" forums, and on youtube, has his 5.7 doing 4.74s 0-60 and is doing quarter miles in the 13 seconds. Hes beating stock srt8 grands.

But he put cat back, headers, intake, tuner, performance heads, performance cam, throttle body and maybe more in his. Thats a lot of $$$, but if you have the money you can make the 5.7 fly.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.